Dry suit exhaust valve

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
json
Aquaphile

Dry suit exhaust valve

Post by json »

Anyone on here have any experience with si-tech. Dump valves? Don't know if i should clean rebuild or replace my valve. My suit will keep a fairly large bubble in my suit during accent. I keep mine set all the way open and only use air to ward of the squeeze. It will only exhaust a little bit of air until I break surface then all the air is exhausted. Any gear techs got any words of advice?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Dry suit exhaust valve

Post by fmerkel »

Doesn't sound normal. Mine if anything is too sensitive, which seems to be the norm. I need to crank it down a smidgen to keep it from leaking, also the norm.
Take it out, soak in hot water for awhile, and see if it's better.
You should be able to blow out through it easily (literally-stick it in your mouth) when fully open (unscrewed) and not be able to suck back at all.
As you crank it down (screw it more closed) blowing out should get harder and harder until you can't do it anymore and need to press it open to relieve the pressure, just like underwater.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

I will try that.

Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

They are not really servicable (I have never seen a parts kit), when they crap out the best thing is just to replace it. Bob Thiry has the Sitec's. Despite the old skool website he's a recommended source for stuff like this
http://comdive.com/parts.html
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

There's a good photo-essay and set of instructions for servicing exhaust valves on Dive Matrix, if somebody else doesn't link to it I'll find it when I'm not posting from my phone. They can be disassembled and cleaning out crud/salt can be helpful.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

http://www.divematrix.com/showthread.ph ... ght=SiTech

I've been able to salvage the ones that won't dump. It's the ones that begin to leak worse and worse that aren't worth taking apart. I think the spring fatigues. Bob Thiery is definitely the man when it comes to buying them.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Very cool, that is one of the best DIY demos I have seen! Now you need to do one for the intake valve.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

LCF wrote:http://www.divematrix.com/showthread.ph ... ght=SiTech

I've been able to salvage the ones that won't dump. It's the ones that begin to leak worse and worse that aren't worth taking apart. I think the spring fatigues. Bob Thiery is definitely the man when it comes to buying them.
Great instructions. I cleaned it out so lets see how it works next dive. If it still acts up guess its time to replace it. Out of curiosity what is the average life spans? My is at about 200 dives.

renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Here is the link to the DMX thread on servicing the inflator valves, they are much easier to service.

http://www.divematrix.com/showthread.ph ... isassembly
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

json wrote:
LCF wrote:http://www.divematrix.com/showthread.ph ... ght=SiTech

Great instructions. I cleaned it out so lets see how it works next dive. If it still acts up guess its time to replace it. Out of curiosity what is the average life spans? My is at about 200 dives.

<200 dives :p
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Interestingly, mine have probably gotten about 200 dives or so. Bob Thiery says he's had them go ten years without needing replacement. I think Cove 2 eats plastic parts.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Everything looked OK on the inside hopefully I get another 200 our or it

fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Mine, and my wife's, are 8+ old with 500-700+ dives and they work fine. They both had an incident when we got knocked down by a tanker wave we didn't see coming while exiting an other wise calm night dive. We got washed in surf awhile and they got completely graveled up. Couldn't even turn them. Once pulled apart and rinsed they were fine. Preetty stout gear in my book.

I have bigger problems with the inlet getting sticky. I wish they wouldn't put the hex key under the sticker and that stupid monster nut is really hard to get hold of. Otherwise they are easy to service. Looking at the link above there appear to be variations on the construction. The one in the link is much easier.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

fmerkel wrote: I have bigger problems with the inlet getting sticky. I wish they wouldn't put the hex key under the sticker and that stupid monster nut is really hard to get hold of.
DMX has a thread about that too. I unscrewed the lp hose connection and put 4-5 drops of seal saver in there and worked it in with the button. Miraculous results!
DFessler
Avid Diver

Post by DFessler »

Sometimes, its not the valve at all, but the undergarment getting sucked up into the valve opening. Although some of these valves have guards they don't always work well, especially with loose stuffing undergarments like the Weasel and certain fleeces. I've seen divers do different things. Some wrap duct tape around the arm of the undergarment where the valve is (loosely of course). I have seen others make plastic discs and glue them to the exhaust valve underside. Just a few ideas if in fact it might be that.
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

+++++ On Bob
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280