Layering under an undergarment.

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Layering under an undergarment.

Post by Jeff Pack »

I recently switched from my Mk3 (Whites) to the Thermal Fusion. It really isnt as warm as the Mk3, so I need to add an underlayer. Had several cold dives I never had with the Mk3.

Currently I wear an Under Armour Compression Base Layer.

I was thinking I have some older Pantagonia Poly Pro Longies I can wear, that are pretty thin, over the UA.

Any other suggestions?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
ryjoph89
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Layering under an undergarment.

Post by ryjoph89 »

When I have a couple dives where I feel colder than usual I throw on underneath undergarment:
Generic Longjohns
Helly Hansen Longjohns made of Spandex (Oo-la-la) :joshsmith: over top of Longjohns
Wool socks (Sometimes even overtop of normal warm socks)
Longjohn type material shirt underneath a shirt

If you have enough room in your torso area of your suit you could even throw on a little jacket (good for Long shallow Winter dives).

But I have a crappy old undergarment that has been in the dryer several times before finding out that dryers aren't undergarments best friends. So you will probably be sweating with all those layers. My usual outfit other than winter is underwear & t-shirt, undergarment, drysuit.
Maxtrax
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Maxtrax »

IMO merino wool is the best base layer material out there. I used to only use synthetics but on a 14 day climbing trip a couple years ago I switched to merino simply for the stink factor (less of it! ... Will, take note) and found out that even though synthetics still have a slight edge in terms of how fast they dry, the merino is much more comfortable against my skin and maintains better insulative properties when it is wet. I have also found that it offers a wider comfort range across temps both above and below what I have planned for. For spring and summer use I use something in the 150-190 gm/sqm range and for fall and winter I use something in the 180-240 gm/sqm range. My personal favorite is the Ibex Indie and Zepher line, if you sweat a lot though, their Woolies line wicks a bit better because of a different knit pattern used in it. Smartwool, Patagonia, Icebreaker and Arc'teryx all make nice wool layers too but I am hard on my gear (especially my climbing gear) and the Ibex has stood up much better than any of the other brands to my abuse.

For reference, I run Ibex Indie top & bottom under a White's Mk2 jumpsuit in an Apollo crushed neo drysuit and have been warm on ~60 min dives in 45F water this winter. Make sure to pay attention to your hands, head, and feet too - if those aren't properly insulated you will feel colder over the rest of your body much faster.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Patagonia Expedition Weight long underwear has made my barely adequate undergarment comfortable. I use a zip t top that insulates much more of my neck than a typical crew neck shirt.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

renoun wrote:Patagonia Expedition Weight long underwear has made my barely adequate undergarment comfortable. I use a zip t top that insulates much more of my neck than a typical crew neck shirt.
I use the Patagonia capilene midweight and its surprisingly toasty for its thickness/weight. Despite the high price at REI (like $55 for top or bottoms) its worth it.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I use the nylon-bonded fleece from these guys: KAMgear

I'm surprised you think the TF is colder. I thought the two were quite equivalent in the three-day test I did.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I just know that now with around almost 10 dives on the TF, many have been cold. Rarely (like 2 or 3 times) was I ever cold with the Mk3.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

It might not be the undergarment, more the season. If you are sweating before the dive you'll be colder later.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I use hot water for my undergarment:-)
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Do you still have the 'warmer' undergarment so you can try it and see if its comfort level that has changed (more still underwater), sweat like Richard says, change in distribution of gas between wing and suit, longer dives or simply colder undergarments?

Why did you change?

The simple in my says "so yer cold and you were not before, go back to the other undergarment" If you went to the new undergarment because you wanted to 'shed pounds' UW, it might be a less lofty undergarment ;)
Jeff Pack wrote:I just know that now with around almost 10 dives on the TF, many have been cold. Rarely (like 2 or 3 times) was I ever cold with the Mk3.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Don't forget that you will also probably feel colder, sooner on a scooter dive.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

FWIW, I've used this: http://www.amazon.com/Tilos-PolaFleece- ... B006VOKRNO (Tilos Fleece Undergarment) as a layer, or for quick dives with an electric vest alone :) Occasionally, I've seen them on sale for about $60, which is why I picked it up... as a one-piece, it doesn't bunch up under the drysuit undies, and it adds significantly to the toasty factor.

I'm with MaxTrax, though - Merino Wool is the way to go. It's beat out every synthetic I've tried for undergarments in the water. Never been happier...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

colder dives also come with more experience. the more efficient you are in the water, the colder you get.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Yea, Laura and I were just privately discussing that.

I expected to get cold ona scoot dive, but non scoot dives I'm gettign cold as well, even on my last shorter one.

The new Thermal Fusion isnt as lofty as the MK3 w/Primaloft.

So for the moment, I'm gonna try some UnderArmour Base Layer 3.0 to replace my UA ColdGear Base Layer and see how that works.

I suppose I can even wear the UA Base 3 over the base Layer, but I'm hoping to avoid too much bulk. I get a good deal on UA stuff through a former military program, so I'll see how this all works out.

I do like both the Merlino stuff and the Pantagonia stuff from my old climbing days.

lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I used to use capilene and switched to the body-zor. I found it had more warmth compared to the 'cost' in terms of loft and weight needing to be added. It changed my weighting by very little compared to the thicker capilene, but kept me warmer (comparing two back-to-back dives under similar conditions, similar lengths, etc).
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

CaptnJack wrote: I use the Patagonia capilene midweight and its surprisingly toasty for its thickness/weight. Despite the high price at REI (like $55 for top or bottoms) its worth it.
I seem to get ten years out of a set of Patagonia Caplene, it is well worth the money. I have multiple sets of midweight and save the expedition weight for winter sailing and now dive use.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

If the UA stuff doesnt work, I'm gonna go with the Body Zor stuff.

thank you for all the input everyone.