dive computer recomendations

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

dive computer recomendations

Post by Alaska-Herb »

I am getting closer to moving out of the dream stage and start the active shopping stage for a new computer. And wanted to hear from you all about what you like and think is the best thing out there.

Who I am
I am a mildly skilled diver with a little over 200 cold water dives who has been diving since March 2010. I do not see myself doing any real tech style dives and will definitely stay open circuit simply for the cost alone. I doubt I would ever think about any trimix dives simply because I cannot even buy nitrox in town.

What I feel I want has a big bright face that is readable without either pushing a backlight on or without shining my light on it. I would like either rechargeable batteries or easy inexpensive user replaceable batteries. I would like a conservative profile but not ultra conservative. I would like hose less integration but that is a nice not mandatory feature. I really want a easy to use computer that is not so complicated with features that I would need that what I need is buried in button pushes.
I really like having cool toys but I need to be able to use them like my I phone

What I have looked at Liquivision XI , XEO and the Kaon.

I am less worried about price then I am about making sure that this is my last computer purchase for a long time. I would rather not buy today and save for it than buy something less and want a new one 6 months from now.

So what all do you have, like, or dream about. Can you tell me why you think it is the best thing since sliced bread.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Re: dive computer recomendations

Post by sitkadiver »

Hey Herb,

Have you looked at the Mares Icon HD? I haven't seen one, but they were all the rage at DEMA in 2009....

Seems user friendly and bright enough for an Alaskan night dive. Another cool feature is the underwater mapping. The underwater maps need to be downloaded, I think, and I haven't seen any for the Northwest coast, but, then again, I haven'r really looked either. Would be totally sweet though, if we could mark bottle and dish finds while in the water.

One thing to consider - and the reason I have not gone with a wrist mount - is when I turn wrenches underwater, they get in the way. I suppose if you keep your old computer for your work dives it won't matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb8NvAmw ... re=related

Another computer I looked at with a bright display was the Atomic Cobalt, but I don't think they're wrist mounted......
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I'm a tec ccr diver but of course I started out like you and everyone else. I'm not really in the mood for extended elaboration right now because this is always a hot topic but since I've started using both an X1 and Predator lately, I think the Shearwater Predator is reigning champion. I wish it were smaller, I wish it was cheaper but for rock solid, no problems, easy to use, good level of service and reputation of the company, easy to read and operate with thick gloves, it's the go-to device.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I had a Mares Icon HD and the display was great. I do a fair amount of warm water diving and it was way too big for warm water. It would spin on my wrist. In cold water it was great though and I really enjoyed the air integration too. I sold it to supplement a recent dive trip. I probably would not buy one again because I can't use it in warm water. But overall it was nice.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Hey guys thanks for the ideas so far. I am sure everyone has their favorites and I would love to hear why.

Dave I will actually keep my old computer and toss it back into the console for wrench turning dives. so far when I have actually just been working on the boat I have been leaving my computer in the bag for fear of breaking it.

The mares Icon HD actually looks really nice Scubie Doo is there any other reason other than its size that you would not buy another one?

And Diver den how is the predator for user ease. how would you compare it to the iPhone of cells phone world. Does it have a lot of button sequences to toggle through to get to everything ?
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Scubie Doo wrote:I had a Mares Icon HD and the display was great. I do a fair amount of warm water diving and it was way too big for warm water. It would spin on my wrist. In cold water it was great though and I really enjoyed the air integration too. I sold it to supplement a recent dive trip. I probably would not buy one again because I can't use it in warm water. But overall it was nice.
Scubie Doo can you tell me about battery life, ease of replacement and costs for the Mares Icon HD
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Battery life was good, I could get in three dives with it. It was rechargeable so no replacing the battery. I got the unit for $1100.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

diverden wrote:I'm a tec ccr diver but of course I started out like you and everyone else. I'm not really in the mood for extended elaboration right now because this is always a hot topic but since I've started using both an X1 and Predator lately, I think the Shearwater Predator is reigning champion. I wish it were smaller, I wish it was cheaper but for rock solid, no problems, easy to use, good level of service and reputation of the company, easy to read and operate with thick gloves, it's the go-to device.

+1 for Shearwater. The non-tech models, OC and Nitrox, are reasonably priced, IMO.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

+2 for the Shearwater. Love mine. Its great for non-tec and its great for tech if you ever change your mind.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Alaska-Herb wrote: And Diver den how is the predator for user ease. how would you compare it to the iPhone of cells phone world. Does it have a lot of button sequences to toggle through to get to everything ?
There are 2 buttons and oodles of screen real estate. I found it relatively easy to learn. Essentially you have 2 buttons (easy to press even with heavy gloves.) The left button cycles through things you can do, the right button cycles through information. If you press the left button, then the right button becomes the "select" button. With more advanced option screens, the button labels change (e.g. Left: Next, Right: Edit.) There are no, long press, short press, or press both buttons complexities with the exception of you press both buttons to turn it on.

I guess I have to go back and say that I like my Liquivision products: The Xen and have used a Xeo and X1 for a few months as well. Fairly easy to use, smaller and about equal on bang for buck. The downsides to X1: expensive, no color (well, one color), I'm worried about future support... seems then are into the new fragile plastic Xeo/Xen platform. LV doesn't have a U.S. based office you can ship units to for repair/replacement and shipping gets obscene and customs slows things down. Shearwater doesn't seem to have as much of a need for that sort of a thing... they seem a lot more solid.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I have a ShearWater and a Xeo.

The Xeo is far easier to read with older eyes, and in most any condition (bright ambient, low light, etc).

Shearwater less so (smaller fonts, etc).

When diving with my Gem, I wear both, but for other than checking PPo, I use the Xeo.

The UI on the Xeo is a dream, tap interface rocks, its so easy and well thought through. There is even a computer simulator now for the Xeo.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

diverden wrote:
Alaska-Herb wrote: And Diver den how is the predator for user ease. how would you compare it to the iPhone of cells phone world. Does it have a lot of button sequences to toggle through to get to everything ?

I guess I have to go back and say that I like my Liquivision products: The Xen and have used a Xeo and X1 for a few months as well. Fairly easy to use, smaller and about equal on bang for buck. The downsides to X1: expensive, no color (well, one color), I'm worried about future support... seems then are into the new fragile plastic Xeo/Xen platform. LV doesn't have a U.S. based office you can ship units to for repair/replacement and shipping gets obscene and customs slows things down. Shearwater doesn't seem to have as much of a need for that sort of a thing... they seem a lot more solid.
Can you explain your comment “worried about future support” a bit more please?
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

diverden wrote:
There are 2 buttons and oodles of screen real estate. I found it relatively easy to learn. Essentially you have 2 buttons (easy to press even with heavy gloves.) The left button cycles through things you can do, the right button cycles through information. If you press the left button, then the right button becomes the "select" button. With more advanced option screens, the button labels change (e.g. Left: Next, Right: Edit.) There are no, long press, short press, or press both buttons complexities with the exception of you press both buttons to turn it on.

Support for a Mares computer is something to consider as well since we do not have an LDS here in Sitka. I've tried to get reg parts from Mares(for an MR-12) and the only way is to find a shop down south and see if they're willing to ship to you. And not being a business - good luck. I've dealt with Bubbles Below and thankfully, Bud remembers me from my diving days at Aquatic Weed Control and shipped parts. Without him, I'd be SOL.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

vs920 wrote: Can you explain your comment “worried about future support” a bit more please?
It seems as if the Xeo could be seen a replacement for the X1. X1 fans would say no, but Liquivision worries me from input seen around. Example: http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthrea ... er-over-X1

LV used to have an X-Link product that allowed PO2 cell monitoring with your X1 but it was discontinued, leaving many high and dry. I personally know people that have been burned by Liquivision so I would be worried to buy an expensive product that after a year LV would refuse to treat as warranty. (But others have gotten good support [with many replacement of faulty product issued.])

I'm speculating that since LV chose not to contract Ross for a VPM app on the Xeo that they might want to phase out the X1 because they can make more money with the Xeo. There doesn't seem to be any buzz about new X1s with new features like more colors, etc. I can only assume they will eventually stop supporting the product. </speculation>

Predators seem to be very hot and selling like crazy and have a better support reputation so that's a key point in me leaning toward them.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

diverden wrote:There doesn't seem to be any buzz about new X1s with new features like more colors, etc. I can only assume they will eventually stop supporting the product. </speculation>
Nobody's making OLED screens like that anymore, other display designs have taken over for the typical industrial appliance use. LV bought 1000s of the OLEDs when they were being discontinued however. That's why they aren't changing much.

I use a $200 UWATEC gauge and couldn't be happier. Never leaks, no battery life issues (good for 2000+dives and/or 10 yrs), does temp + average depth.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

+3 for the Shearwater Predator! Here's a link to my "full opinion": http://www.atlasomega.com/2010/08/shear ... -computer/

One huge advantage that we have here in the Pacific Northwest is that the US Shearwater Rep, Curt McNamee, lives right here in Mill Creek and we have easy access either by phone or in person. I cannot even BEGIN to tell you the number of times that I have heard divers rave about the quality level of service they have received fron Curt! The service that he provides is simply outstanding.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I thought there was this Sounder character who was a LV rep in Snoqualmie :p
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

CaptnJack wrote:I thought there was this Sounder character who was a LV rep in Snoqualmie :p
That's true, and he's dedicated to the LV line of products. However, it's my understanding that the X1 needs to be sent to the factory for repairs ( I don't know about the Xen or Xeo) whereas Curt does a lot of repairs in his home for folks.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I was just giving Sounder a poke to see if he's listening. I have no idea what he does.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

CaptnJack wrote:I was just giving Sounder a poke to see if he's listening. I have no idea what he does.
I figured....no worries! I don't know whether he still hangs out here or not anymore.

Still, if the OP selects a Liquivision or a Shearwater I suspect that he will be extremely pleased with his choice. Many of my buddies have Shearwater Predators and we love them. However, some of my other buddies have Liquivision X1's and they are also really happy with their choice. I also very much respect those that choose the bottom timer route. To each his own, eh?

There's nothing wrong with having a lot of splendid choices....and that's where we are at in diving at this point.

- John

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Koos is an LV dealer in Snoqualmie, and "might" give an nwdc discount if you are nice to him.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

CaptnJack wrote:I was just giving Sounder a poke to see if he's listening. I have no idea what he does.
I think Sounder broke up with NWDC when a DIR thread got moved to the Tec Diving section.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

John Rawlings wrote: That's true, and he's dedicated to the LV line of products. However, it's my understanding that the X1 needs to be sent to the factory for repairs ( I don't know about the Xen or Xeo) whereas Curt does a lot of repairs in his home for folks.
I'm not aware of any service or repair on anything LV without sending it back to Vancouver, BC.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

diverden wrote:I think Sounder broke up with NWDC when a DIR thread got moved to the Tec Diving section.
:crybaby:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

the X1 is in no immediate danger of being replaced AFAIK.

The plans to do ZHL16 on Xeo and not VPM was purely based on a desire to own the algorithms in-house..

Ross was never contracted to do the X1 software and he developed and sold the X1 software completely on his own accord and made lots of money from X1 owners who HAD to go to 3rd parties for their software since the X1 shipped as an "open source" blank device..

I also know for a fact there were lots of discussions to "own" the same algorithm for the Xeo, but those broke down based on negotiation of what LV was prepared to invest vs. what developers wanted to part with intellectual property..

The Xeo algorithm is 100% developed in house and owned by LV.. meaning they can ship updates and provide customer support without having to bug or revert to a 3rd party. Which was a big pain in the ass previously to go to multiple 3rd party vendors for support.

The Xeo/Xen/Kaon/Lynx units are "Potted", meaning they cant flood at all.. even if you unscrew the replacable battery compartment and flood the entire unit, nothing willl happen to the computer.. you can just rinse it out and replace the battery and close the cap..

Also, they now have MUCH longer lasting batteries and firmware than the initial V1 firmware.. There is also a "Rechargable" battery option that will give you about 40-50hrs on a single charge.. (You get 2 x batteries in the recharge kit)

As far as "warranty" work goes, because its potted, you cant really do any work on it locally.. you have to send it into LV.. But, since they are in Vancouver, you get a pretty good turn around time.

For example, I had to replace someone's Xen and they cross shipped a new unit to me and it was on my door step in 2 days..

If you are looking for a wireless gas integrated computer, the Lynx is slated to ship later this year and from what I've seen, the wireless gadgetry and features they have in there are really really neat..

Anyhow, if you have any questions on the Xen/Xeo/Kaon/Lynx or X1, I would be happy to answer them for you and also be happy to give you anyone of the above computers to try for a while. Just drop me a PM

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White