Canon Vixia HF M500 with Canon Housing??

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Novice
Dive-aholic

Canon Vixia HF M500 with Canon Housing??

Post by Novice »

I have been playing with my GoPro for a few months now and have some decent shots. I was on the verge of getting a tray, lights, etc... However, what I have decided I really am interested in is macro video which the GoPro just doesn't do. I am looking to get into a system that will do work for macro video and will allow for some growth as my skills improve. For whatever reason I am not really interested in taking a lot of stills. I just like videos better.

Canon has this combo which seems like it might be a good starting point? The M500 has a good sensor and claims to have good macro ability. This housing is really very reasonably priced. Anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions?
dphershman
Aquanaut

Re: Canon Vixia HF M500 with Canon Housing??

Post by dphershman »

I'm not much of a video expert, but I'd say this looks fine. The Canon housing looks interesting, although my observations of Canon housings for still cameras is that they are prone to leakage.

Have you considered a DSLR? The macro abilities of this type of camera will be much more flexible due to the variety of lenses available in that format. One of the less expensive Canon DSLRs would do video very nicely.
Dan Hershman :smt024
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Waynne picked one of these up for a steal of a deal for us..no problems yet with leaking, but it handle gives me major hand cramps. I took about 40 minutes of our dive at Salt Creek but now I am having a HORRENDOUS time exporting video files into a useable format....
As I am brand spanking new to this video dealio I really am just learning as I go (or trying to)
Im going to post a new thread on this frustration of mine in a sec.
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I use the canon vixia HF 200.. It works great .. Ive got the stock wpv1 housing and its never leaked... I wish the peeps on this board would stop about canon housing leaking.. They only leak when you dont take care of the orings.. as for file sizes canon uses mts files for HD .. And you need a good editing software to encode HD files.. Like Vegas Pro, Adobe, or a mac program.. Buy it.. I paid 1100 bucks for mine new.. Today I could get the same setup for under 500.00
Last edited by H20doctor on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen