No photo, but I have to share!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
LCF
I've Got Gills

No photo, but I have to share!

Post by LCF »

So today was open water dives at Cove 2. It was hard to see the fantastic visibility and use it to keep track of students . . . but at the end, when the DMC and I went back in to fetch the float, we had license from our boss to do a fun dive. So we headed for the Honey Bear, because we'd been told there was a big octo under it, and there was; we found a GORGEOUS huge golden Dirona under one of the pilings, and a couple of nice alabasters. Then we turned back, and swam around the pilings I like to swim under, when something caught my eye . . . it looked for all the world like a sea snake, but we don't have sea snakes here. Suddenly I realized what I was seeing -- it was a QUILLFISH! Seven years of diving here, and I had never seen one. We watched it for about five minutes, and got quite close to it. I have never wanted a camera in my hands so desperately!

I can't find an image to import, but here's a pretty good one you can look at:

I don't get to see something entirely new to me very often any more, so this made our 15 minute dive one of my recent best!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
mpenders
Submariner

Re: No photo, but I have to share!

Post by mpenders »

Cool beans!

Cardiver, Scubie and I literally stumbled across one of these back in April at Redondo. It was a first for all of us, and we didn't have any idea what it was. We didn't have much opportunity to take pictures of it before it bolted - I would too, with three sets of strobes firing at will.

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... sh#p210669

It never fails - having no camera available seems to always guarantee a you'll find something cool.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

mpenders wrote:Cool beans!

it never fails - having no camera available seems to always guarantee a you'll find something cool.
Diving without a camera are you crazy! :nutty:
Yep! That's why I won't dive without one! Kinda like there is never a cop around whenever you want one. :banghead: :banghead:
Last edited by Dusty2 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Cooperative Quillfish ! Yes, I feel your pain. No camera to record it. Well, at least you saw it, I still did not see an adult Lumpsucker, :BDub: Saw two baby Lumpies today. With a fisheye lens on my camera, didn't do me any good.
So Quillfish sighting, you are lucky one ! :supz:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Lynne: In over a half-century of Puget Sound diving, I have yet to see a quillfish in the wild. Good observing.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

My wife saw one on a night dive in Bremerton a couple weeks ago, in just 15 ft of water. The only time I've ever seen one (actually two of them) was a day dive at Scenic Beach over 30 years ago.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I've seen two in my lifetime ... one at Cove 2 several years back with Valerie ... I got pics, but was very new to photography at the time so they ain't very good.

The second time was last year in Cove 3 ... on the second dive of an OW class. I don't carry a camera on those, but I did point it out to my students, and told them later that they're not likely to see another one anytime soon ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Here's a close up from Redondo a few months ago.......
Attachments
5-P4263028.jpg
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Thank you all so much for sharing the excitement, and sharing your pictures. It's so nice to have friends who understand why someone would be jumping up and down and squealing through her regulator about a small, snake-like fish.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
DiveZen
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DiveZen »

We just saw a quillfish Sunday at Cove 2. Viz was insanely good and it was free swimming below us while we were doing a SAC swim. We swam in a circle for a bit to watch. Good times!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Lynne!! That's so cool! I am completely jealous of course, and may have to start yet another club that I am president of: the Never-Seen-A-Quillfish Club. :rawlings: Although it does sound like I will have plenty of co-presidents.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

I was in that class with DiveZen when we saw that quillfish. It totally made up for all my goof-ups during that dive!