O2 Sensor Error

General topics about technical diving.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

O2 Sensor Error

Post by Desert Diver »

Hello all,
So I have a new to me oxygen analyzer with a new MAX-7 sensor. What kind of error should I expect at 100% O2 if I calibrate with air and what error might I expect with air if I calibrate with pure oxygen? If I calibrate with air, oxygen from my welding tank reads about 97%. If I calibrate with the O2 tank air reads about 21.9%. Is this about what would be expected? My interest is for Nitrox use. Thanks for any input.

Brian
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: O2 Sensor Error

Post by Joshua Smith »

Desert Diver wrote:Hello all,
So I have a new to me oxygen analyzer with a new MAX-7 sensor. What kind of error should I expect at 100% O2 if I calibrate with air and what error might I expect with air if I calibrate with pure oxygen? If I calibrate with air, oxygen from my welding tank reads about 97%. If I calibrate with the O2 tank air reads about 21.9%. Is this about what would be expected? My interest is for Nitrox use. Thanks for any input.

Brian
Thats not a bad margin of error. Probably +/- 1%. Keep an eye on it, and just replace the sensor if it stops making sense. And don't push your MODs too hard.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

It won't read linear across the entire range.
Calibrate with air for 32-36% nitrox. 50% deco mixes should be plus-minus <1% with an air calibration as well.

Once you get up to 100% the linearity is all off and minus 3% is rather unremarkable. Mine is usually more like minus 98.8% or something like that. But its uses a different brand sensor.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Thanks for the replies. Without any experience I wanted opinions that had experience behind them. Great to be able to get those.

Brian