What is this?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

What is this?

Post by Octoloco »

During the safety stop just up from the big pipe this morning at Redondo, we came across this fish - the closest thing I've seen to this crazy looking critter is a stargazer from the South Pacific. This first photo is from the Philippines last year:
PIMG_1520.JPG
This next series include the one we found today. I've never heard of a stargazer in the PNW so does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on what this crazy looking thing is? The size of the two is about the same, tip to tail about 1 foot, though on the one we found today the eyes are on the side more than the Philippines one. Are those really teeth? They look brutal!
P1012590.JPG
P1012594.JPG
P1012596.JPG
CIMG0829.JPG
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: What is this?

Post by Dusty2 »

Did you check for radiation??? That's an interesting one. I have never seen that one even in a book.

Good job getting lots of angles. Wish you could have got one of the tail. Maybe Greg knows?
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

I looked through all my books and couldn't find anything, even looked up stargazer on the internet - didn't find anything that looked like that locally so was hoping one of our local experts might have something on this one. Unfortunately if you don't have an answer that makes one less expert! :notworthy:
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Hi Kathy,

I think what you've got there is a Pacific Sandfish - Trichodon trichodon

It's listed in Lamb's Coastal Fishes of the PNW (page 58 of the 1st edition and page 89 of the 2nd edition).

It's also listed in Love's Certainly MTYWTKATFOTPC (page 471) but not in his Probably MTYWTKATFOTPC

Where you found it doesn't seem like a good match with the preferred habitat described in these books but the physical description and photos match your fish very well.

Cryptically yours,

Alex
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What a cool find, and thank you for such great photographs of it!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

After scanning Loves book that as my guess too but it's only a guess. I'd rather hear it from Greg
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Absolutely AWESOME FIND!!!! I have never known of any diver reporting one before.
I completely agree that what you have there is the Pacific Sandfish, Trichodon trichodon
Kathy, make sure you get this on a REEF survey, please! :D
I am looking in Pacific Fishes of Canada as well, and it's shown in here. It says:
"Recognized by the upward turned, fringed mouth, the stout pectoral fin with out-turned edges, and absence of scales."

Range is roughly from San Francisco up to the Bering Sea (and beyond).

VERY COOL!!

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Congrats! Awesome find Kathy! that's what keeps me diving, you never know what you'll find. :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Dusty2 wrote:Congrats! Awesome find Kathy! that's what keeps me diving, you never know what you'll find. :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
+1
Great photos !
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Exciting find!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Thanks everyone it's definitely the Pacific Sandfish. We appreciate everyone's help in identifying this exciting find! It's great to have such a pool of knowledge available here on the board!!
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I think this is a pretty unusual sighting for Puget Sound. I have an old reference that is a compilation of records for different species around the NW, and the only locations it lists for sandfish are Bellingham (less than 10 records) and the San Juans (lots).
I'm jealous!
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

He/she didn't move at all, no matter how close I got - maybe it's still there. Safety stop depth just below the aquarium. Redondo seems to consistantly have the odd ones, that's why we like diving there so much. You never know what you'll see; though a six-gill has not crossed our paths as of yet.

Thanks for everyone's help and information.
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

What a weirdo! :) https://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4 ... OX=1&REC=3

I guess it had mostly buried itself in the sand, eh?
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

I thought it was just resting, didn't realize half the body was buried!?
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy