Salt Creek 9/1

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Salt Creek 9/1

Post by Scubie Doo »

Bucknaked, these are for you :)

I went back and grabbed a few of my wide angle shots. This will give you a little taste of Salt Creek diving. Maybe Mike will post a few of his shots :smt064

Our dive was 67 minutes max depth 46 feet.
Attachments
Salt Creek in B&W.
Salt Creek in B&W.
Really nice Red Irish Lord.
Really nice Red Irish Lord.
Viz was about 25' and a little hazy.
Viz was about 25' and a little hazy.
Some nice anemones.
Some nice anemones.
Mike navigating the kelp.
Mike navigating the kelp.
Mike making sure we were behind him for the swim in.
Mike making sure we were behind him for the swim in.
Dane navigating the kelp.
Dane navigating the kelp.
Forest of kelp.
Forest of kelp.
Sun coming through the kelp.
Sun coming through the kelp.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Salt Creek 9/1

Post by cardiver »

I really like the b&w shot of Mike in the kelp!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

cardiver wrote:I really like the b&w shot of Mike in the kelp!
Thanks Ron! Will we see you at TTN tonight?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Why dont more people dive this site ? It cant allways be massive surge, and current.. On a low wind day, and the right tide exchange it should b a cake walk..
Excellent pics
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

H20doctor wrote:Why dont more people dive this site ? It cant allways be massive surge, and current.. On a low wind day, and the right tide exchange it should b a cake walk..
Excellent pics
Cause most of them are "strokes" , like you and I. :smt064
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

coulterboy wrote:
H20doctor wrote:Why dont more people dive this site ? It cant allways be massive surge, and current.. On a low wind day, and the right tide exchange it should b a cake walk..
Excellent pics
Cause most of them are "strokes" , like you and I. :smt064
Ha! Tom called Chris a STROKE!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Awsone pics by theway
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Awesome pics, great site!
I really like the first pic.

Thanks for sharing!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Well, we will be diving Salt Creek for the next 2-3 days, heading up that way at O'dark:30 in the AM.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Well, we will be diving Salt Creek for the next 2-3 days, heading up that way at O'dark:30 in the AM.
Have a blast. It is one of my personal favorites. Are you staying at the camp grounds? We were thinking about doing that. If so, please post a report :)
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Scubie Doo wrote:...This will give you a little taste of Salt Creek diving. Maybe Mike will post a few of his shots :smt064
This was my first dive using a wide angle dome port on my G10 - and we had some great vis to play with. I still have some wrinkles to iron out, but overall I was pretty happy with the results. I would have liked to do another dive with my macro lens though - there were tons of nudibranchs (at least 9 different species that I can recall offhand) and some tiny warbonnets that I just couldn't get a picture of with the dome port on.
This Hermit Crab seems to have adopted a sponge as his current residence
This Hermit Crab seems to have adopted a sponge as his current residence
Funnel Sponge
Funnel Sponge
Kelp Greenling were everywhere - and just about impossible to get a picture of. Unfortunately, this was the best I could get.
Kelp Greenling were everywhere - and just about impossible to get a picture of. Unfortunately, this was the best I could get.
Swimming Hooded Nudibranch
Swimming Hooded Nudibranch
Anemone on kelp stalk with Scubie Doo
Anemone on kelp stalk with Scubie Doo
Reef 1.JPG
Scubie Doo armed and on the prowl
Scubie Doo armed and on the prowl
Heath's Dorid
Heath's Dorid
Clown Nudibranch
Clown Nudibranch
Reef 2.JPG
Urchins on Reef.JPG
Urchins.JPG
Funny thing was, we didn't plan on diving Salt Creek - we were heading to Lake Crescent to do some deep wall dives on the south shore. I casually mentioned that it was a shame to come soooo close to SC and not dive it.

Tides were checked, and plans were changed - we did our first dive at Crescent, packed up and headed for SC. We couldn't have timed the tides any better if we had tried.

My suggestion if you want to dive this site is to do so in the morning, before the wind kicks up the waves. The surf was just starting to get interesting while we were packing up to head home. My family and I have camped here (pre-diving days), and late afternoon conditions could be very dicey.

Mike
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

[/quote]
"I casually mentioned that it was a shame to come soooo close to SC and not dive it."
[/quote]

Great pics Mike! It looks like that WA lens was a good investment. Just in time for Nanaimo too. However, I have to call you out on the "casually mentioned" I would have said you "strongly recommended" it... And I'm glad you did :taco:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I want to dive Salt Creek.

That is all.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ZSAOLY
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ZSAOLY »

Tom Nic wrote:I want to dive Salt Creek.

That is all.
ME TOO!!!!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What Tom Nic said . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Super pics from both Mike and Jesse! The WA is gonna be a really nice addition to the Deathstar, mike...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Ok, so dove Salt Creek, on 9/7, 8, and 9th. Tent camped at the campground. I like the campground, and tho the sought after reservation spots are right on the water, I prefer the last few open daily spots as they get more sunlight and less wind. And with 46 degree water, that was much more important than you would think in early September. Dove with Waynne, and some new friends and future NW dive club buddies. I had only dove this site once before, 4 years prior, so I was a bit anxious about diving it. However, with some very forgiving tide exchanges that weekend, it really wasnt that bad. The kelp was an adventure, but once I learned to stay in the 10-15' depth range going thru it, it really was easily navigated. Once past the kelpbeds, the bottom slopes off gradually, with a rocky, urchin, sea cucumber bottom. The only difficult part is navigating back thru the kelp to the entry point, and to manage that, we surfaced inside the kelpbed and took a compass heading on the way back. The entry we used was the west stairs, and the small cove to the east of the bottom of those stairs. There is a small channel that works well, you just have to use the surge and time it.
I have to say, the hot water showers really help seal the deal about staying in the campground. The sign says 2 bits for 2 minutes, but it is really more like 3.5 minutes per quarter. Dive gear is not allowed in the showers, as sand tends to plug up the drains an cause problems. Also there are plugins for those of you with electric shavers, or hair dryers, ect.
I would have pics to show, but, on the 3rd dive decided to take my camera, entered the water, and the strobe would not turn on. Dejectedly I handed it back to the people on shore, and dove without it. Once I got home, and unpacked, I found the BATTERIES still in the bag I packed them in, not in the strobe all ready to go like I thought. So...did I really dive Salt Creek? Hard to say, no pics to prove it
If you havent dove Salt Creek, you owe it to yourself to dive it. We will be making it an annual trek. Will prove it next time.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

mpenders wrote: This was my first dive using a wide angle dome port on my G10 - and we had some great vis to play with. I still have some wrinkles to iron out, but overall I was pretty happy with the results. I would have liked to do another dive with my macro lens though - there were tons of nudibranchs (at least 9 different species that I can recall offhand) and some tiny warbonnets that I just couldn't get a picture of with the dome port on.
Hi Mike. Great pics! I love the last and 3rd-to-last pic!

Salt Creek = I'm game any time (weather/tides permitting) :)
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!