plainfin midshipman in the news

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
renoun
I've Got Gills

plainfin midshipman in the news

Post by renoun »

West Seattle Blog has been writing about noise complaints this week and there has been speculation that the sound could from plainfin midshipmen. This is one of the odder news stories I have seen in a while. WSB's blog includes links to the TV coverage.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: plainfin midshipman in the news

Post by Tom Nic »

Cool!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

No way it's a midshipman. If it is, it must be one the size of a Trident sub to be heard that far from the beach. And in that case, you might want to stay out of the water....
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Greg Jensen wrote:No way it's a midshipman. If it is, it must be one the size of a Trident sub to be heard that far from the beach. And in that case, you might want to stay out of the water....
I have to agree. Look at the map in the OPs link. Sounds like a boat (small one, going fast) or airplane to me.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I guess I have to put my tin foil hat back on. :calvin:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I got the impression it was lots of midshipmen, not just one.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Yeah, and they're all in perfect harmony. And sending out mating calls even though they were finished breeding months ago.

Seeing the UW associated with this 'story' is more embarrassing than ANY Apple Cup loss. I just want to point out that the UW doesn't have a "marine biology" department, and I've never heard of these yo-yo's before. Some people will say/do anything to see themselves on TV...
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Greg Jensen wrote:Yeah, and they're all in perfect harmony. And sending out mating calls even though they were finished breeding months ago.

Seeing the UW associated with this 'story' is more embarrassing than ANY Apple Cup loss. I just want to point out that the UW doesn't have a "marine biology" department, and I've never heard of these yo-yo's before. Some people will say/do anything to see themselves on TV...
The story is still being reported on the radio (KPLU) I think because it's entertaining. They had a couple sound bytes from a "scientist" saying that it's possible but added ~"... we were unable to detect these sounds underwater".
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I didn't actually see or hear the story; everything I heard was second-hand. I thought it sounded a bit weird, but stranger things have happened.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com