Dusty2..

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Dusty2..

Post by Emilyrc »

Courtesy of Hyperbole and a Half...
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... thing.html

Couldn't help myself. I've been debating posting it or not. Today just felt... Right. :neener:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Dusty2..

Post by Dusty2 »

hmmmmm???? and this is connected with me how? :popcorn:
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

Your use of "allot" instead of "a lot". Makes me giggle every time I see "allot" and it reminds me of Hyperbole and a Half's Alot beast.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I am guilty of alot instead of a lot. and u instead of you, ect...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That's OK I have developed a pretty thick skin after all these years. If that's the worst I can be blamed for I'm doing pretty damned good. :neener:
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Lol, off topic here...but Dusty, where do I get some extra battery packs for your light? Going on a trip and will need at least one extra pack.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

a lot of different sources. Most hobby shops that cater to the racing crowed will have them. Or you can get them online from http://www.all-battery.com/(where I get mine), http://www.batteryjunction.com or lots of others. They are a common size for RC race cars.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Great, thank you!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Poor grammerians. Usage leaves them all in the dust, or is it Dusty? Miss Townsend did her best to ensure that I never split an infinitive, that I used the possesive pronoun when preceeding a gerund, and mastered the subjunctive mood. It all faded ino the background as I pursued engineering/math/science degrees and subsequent careers. I remember best her admonishment when I referred to a girl in the class as being of the opposite gender. She said, "Curt, pronouns have gender; people have sex". To which I thought "amen". I'm sure Miss Townsend shudders in her grave as the word "gender" is used nowdays to describe everything but pronouns.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hell 90% of the sub college kids don't even speak English any more and texting is destroying whats left. Just read a few comments on any news item and you'll be amazed at the depth to which the American language has fallen. I flunked English in high school and never went to college. I never understood what all the fuss was about anyway. If the spell checker doesn't catch it it's must be right. :smt064
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Dusty2 wrote:Hell 90% of the sub college kids don't even speak English any more and texting is destroying whats left. Just read a few comments on any news item and you'll be amazed at the depth to which the American language has fallen. I flunked English in high school and never went to college. I never understood what all the fuss was about anyway. If the spell checker doesn't catch it it's must be right. :smt064
Amen :supz:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

The phrase, "Write and speak to express, not impress." comes to mind.

At least no one here uses the word "decimate" to mean total, or near total destruction when, in fact, it means destroying or killing one tenth. It comes from the disciplinary practices of a long ago army. Then, every tenth soldier was punished for the benefit of all.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

What is taught in schools is not a spoken language. First of all we don't speak English. We speak American and each region has it's own version there off. The schools teach high English just like the Spanish and French classes. It is sort of a dead language It is for academics and literature not for speaking. Hell no one murders the English language worse than the Brits themselves.

Anyway all these lessons are of little real value in the real world. They are a subject forced on our children by the school systems and few get any real value out of them. Outside of the classroom no one cares if you dangle your participles and most won't even know the difference anyway. :angelblue:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I think I will start using the word "a-lot" to keep my self straight on this one!
And when you see me using it a-lot, you can remember this thread!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: