Traveling with a back plate and wings

General banter about diving and why we love it.
json
Aquaphile

Traveling with a back plate and wings

Post by json »

I'm heading to Hawaii tomorrow and taking my gear with me is there any special restrictions or ways of packing plate and wings or any recommendations
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Traveling with a back plate and wings

Post by Linedog »

When I go I just pack it in my bag with my regs and carry it on. If you can put things together and carry it on otherwise just check it.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

If you check it, put it on the top of the bag if possible, because they WILL unpack the bag to find out what it is, and it's easier if it's on top.

If you carry it on, you'll be fine, unless you have the DSS weight plates. If you do, do NOT take them off the plate! If they're bolted on, they're okay, but if you take them off, you could hit someone with them, apparently, and they can't go in carry-on.

Of course, all of that could change, depending on the mood of the TSA despot of the day.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Think I'm gonna check it and put a tsa lock on it. I will pack it so its easy to get to so they don't have to tear through my whole bag. Thanks for the tips.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

We took ours a few months ago. We each have a bag that holds all of our gear nicely that we use as dive bags and then packed clothes around them. We had all our stuff in there even though I know people dont like to put their regs and computers in there. At the time our computers were on consoles. Now they are wrist mount so I would probably carry them on.

We were just shore diving and did not want to rent weights at the cost of ~$100 for both of us for the week we were there. We shipped our own weights over to the Hotel USPS in a Flat Rate Box and round trip cost was $24.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Where on EARTH were they going to charge you $50 a week for WEIGHTS? Whoever those folks are, I want to avoid them . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

I've gone three times now and i just find it much easier to put the majority of my gear in a Pelican box along with whatever clothes i'm taking and check it in. I put my computer, regulators and camera in a carry on Pelican box. I've never had any issues with Alaska Airlines.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

When we were researching who to go with all listed about the same rates. Most seemed to be about $7/day for weights x 2 of us and we dove 5 days. So that comes out to $70 so my number was a bit high.

We ened up gong with Kona Diving Company for renting tanks (after we decided to take our own weights) because a friend of Bob's works there. He did several dives with us on his days off.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/