Whee! Loreto!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
LadyGoDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Whee! Loreto!

Post by LadyGoDiver »

The hub and I trekked far South to Loreto, BCS, Mexico (okay, so we flew but whatever). We planned for much diving and eating and relaxing, as one does. Here's what transpired:

Days 1 - 3 -- Hub laid up with flu/maybe kidney stone. I monitor the pool, walk the town and relax.
Day 4 - Hub feels better. We go diving. I have pain in my ears and I cannot equalize below 30 feet so I bail after 15 mins. Water temp was about 83 degrees, viz about 60 feet. Hub dives two more dives that day while I snorkel. We walk back to the hotel and he trips, falls and breaks a finger.
Day 5 - We see the inside of a Mexican hospital. The X-ray, exam and cast cost less than $82.00.
Day 7 - Hub is in pain, we rest by the pool.
Day 8 - Hub feels better so he joins me in a dive boat. I do two dives and he stays on board. Terrific dives with a greater than normal surge. See sea lions and so much cool life. Still lovely temps, viz.
Day 9 - My ears hurt. No diving.
Day 10 - Hurricane Paul lands on the opposite side of Baja. We get about 6 inches of rain, power goes out, municipal water goes off, town shuts down.
Days 11 - 12 - Sea looks like a latte'. 4-6 inches of storm debris strewn all over seawall and road along the harbor. No boats going out.
Day 13 (would be my last day for diving since we fly on Sunday and I want dry gear going home) - boats going out but warnings of tons of debris in the water, like 50 foot palm trees and parts of washed-away houses. I cut my losses and go shopping.

Yes, we're going back.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Re: Whee! Loreto!

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Holy moly! Sorry it wasn't what you planned, but it sounds like you've kept your sense of humor through it all. :)
Jenn
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

OMG! What a trip! That was definitely not scripted but at least you each got in a couple of dives and I bet you saw a lot more of the place than you would have otherwise. It's always fun to get to know more about another culture and environment first hand. Sorry the diving didn't pan out well but it was something to remember for sure!
LadyGoDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LadyGoDiver »

In truth, we were laughing about our adventures the whole time. It was warm and lovely and we were in a safe and familiar place. Everything that happened could have happened anywhere and hey! we were NOT at work!
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

If it's not a good time, it's a good story!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Ohhh...love the Baja Peninsula! We were a little south of Loreto in Cabo Pulmo during a hurricane a few years ago. Still had an awesome extended surface interval even thought the diving was limited. My husband doesn't dive but really enjoyed snorkeling (in spite his initial reluctance). Just hanging out was fantastic, and when I could dive, that was excellent too.

I hope everyone is feeling better!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

something to talk about when you are old and look back on life and laugh again. :taco:
Jeff Castor
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

This is one of my favorite sayings!

Loreto is really beautiful, and I could forgive it a sporty trip once in a while . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Exciting! Kudos to you for a great attitude!

A couple questions:
-Assuming you flew Alaska?
-Who did you dive with?
- Did you buy a package or pay ala carte for the dives you did?
-Where did you stay?
-Any advice on travel arrangements?

Hope I'm not 'prying', but this is a trip I would love to do, and even though I am very comfortable planning my own thing it is still great having personal experience Intel in that process.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

LadyGoDiver wrote:In truth, we were laughing about our adventures the whole time.
I think you've got the answer. After 43+ years of marriage, we find ourselves laughing at our adventures and misadventures. Laughter does wonders for a relationship.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

You definitely reflect the motto: "Adapt and Overcome, With a Smile". Wonderful folks you are.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
LadyGoDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LadyGoDiver »

Assuming you flew Alaska? Yes SEA to LAX, and Horizon from LAX to MMLT. Easy.

-Who did you dive with? Dolphin Dive Center. Raphael Murillo is a big part of why I'm a diver. Go there, dive with him.

- Did you buy a package or pay ala carte for the dives you did? We did a la carte. I'm glad as we didn't waste anything we bought. You can easily schedule dives, generally the day before. We just dropped by the shop, handed over our gear and showed up the next day. They do all the heavy lifting and kept our gear dry on their locked equipment facility.

-Where did you stay? We stay at Las Cabanas de Loreto. Simply the best place for us. There are up-market hotels but I like the relaxed serenity at the Cabanas - I refuse to get dressed to have coffee. They took fantastic care of us during the storm, too. We can eat in restaurants, cafes or cook for ourselves in the outdoor kitchen. The place is small and children are not permitted. There is a laundry and a pool, a library, movies... no phone, no TV... It's a jewel.

-Any advice on travel arrangements? - We use air miles for the flights and stay at the same place so it's very cut and dried for us. If you wanted to do some rock climbing or rent a car and drive around the area, you can do that easily right from town. We discovered a little ice cream place that had a sublime Toll House-flavored ice cream... I medicated myself a bit with that manna...
LadyGoDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LadyGoDiver »

LCF wrote:
This is one of my favorite sayings!

Loreto is really beautiful, and I could forgive it a sporty trip once in a while . . .
You know, we never got around the breakfast at The Oasis...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, so you still have the best huevos rancheros in the world to look forward to . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I saw you two in Loreto after your husband had the cast on. Had no idea you were in the NWDC. I believe we talked a bit at the Dolphin Dive Center just before the hurricane.

My wife and I had booked 3 days of diving but only got one in - went diving in the rain the day before the hurricane and had to sit out the next two. Got a decent shot of a Baja nudi on one of our 2 dives. We Left Loreto on the 19th to do a kayak/snorkel/beach camp trip from Loreto to La Paz. Hurricane delayed (and shortened) our trip by a day. We had a great kayak trip though, and got home yesterday. Got a shot from snorkeling at a sea lion rookery - the pups like to play (photo was not cropped or enlarged). I included a campsite shot from one of the beaches we camped at.
Attachments
Beach camping
Beach camping
Sea Lion Pup, Los Islotes
Sea Lion Pup, Los Islotes
Baja Nudi
Baja Nudi
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Further to Tom's questions, we booked in advance with Dolphin for 3 days diving and used only one. They will either refund or save the other two days for our next trip.

There are lots of hotels available. We stayed at the Hotel Luna, which is about 100 ft from the Dolphin dive center and a half block from the waterfront. The Luna cost about $75 a night for 2 people - it is small, has only 3 rooms, but us a great place. There are many great restaurants available in walking distance. +1 for Raphael. This was our third trip with him. Dolphin also has had a booth the last 2 years at the Tacoma dive expo.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We spent a week in Loreto in June . . . not hurricane season, but it was sure hot!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico ... oreto.html

The diving was really fun, and I think it would have been mind-blowing if the viz had been a bit better. I don't think I've ever been anywhere with a higher density and variety of fish, but you could only just make them out in the near distance.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Magoi wrote:I saw you two in Loreto after your husband had the cast on. Had no idea you were in the NWDC. I believe we talked a bit at the Dolphin Dive Center just before the hurricane.
How cool is that? I'll go ahead and say it..."small world" or maybe just a great club! :taco:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
LadyGoDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LadyGoDiver »

That's so cool. I have met a few Puget Sound divers in Mexico. I recall I had a frozen spring in my reg and I met a terrific guy who lent me some gear for free and said "Just return it to my shop when you get home -- it's on me."