Pony bottle mounting

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Pony bottle mounting

Post by doubtingGunnel »

I've recently been looking into slinging a pony bottle, specifically an AL30. I have some questions about mounting. To be clear, I'm not planning on using this as a stage bottle. This would be a redundant air supply used within recreational diving constraints. I'm happy to discuss the whys, but I would prefer to focus on mounting options.

My main diving activity is photography/video. I've seen quite a few recreational divers mount AL19s to AL30s with a bracket to their main tank. This would be ideal for me, as it would keep my chest free to maneuver my SLR rig. However, I've read posts on scubaboard that point out several issues with mounting it like that. It would be difficult to reach the valve, hoses would have to routed, increasing entanglement hazard and it can’t be handed off to another person in need.

I agree that tank mounting the pony is not ideal. I've looked at the standard method of mounting it to the d-rings on my harness and gather this would be the simplest way.

Another option came up on this thread on wetpixel:
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?sh ... ntry298014

The diver, Walt Stears, suggests using a side mount bungee to hold the valve up to the ribs. I realize the diver is using a rebreather and a sidemount butt plate for his bailout. But the way his bailout is riding on the side is how I would ideally like to mount my pony. I was thinking I could use the Nomad sidemount bungees.

I also watched a few videos from Lamar Hires and found this one provided a potential way of mounting it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygPkE6OBCmc

Questions I have.

- Tank mounting. Bad idea? Not ideal, but still acceptable?
- "Side mounting" a pony. Would mounting the bottom attachment to my plate and using a bungee of the top give me a side mount profile? Would a butt plate be a better idea?
- I realize that I'm getting into the side mounting world, of which I am not familiar with or certified. Too complicated, just stick to standard sling?

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Re: Pony bottle mounting

Post by Mortuus »

If you are set on using a pony bottle, I would recommend the side mounting method. If you have a bp/w this works great. Just stage rig it and you're good to go. For the very brief time I used a pony bottle, I mounted it on my backgas tank. I used an Al19, and even that seemed pretty large to be strapping to my LP77. I would recommend the other method for a few reasons however.
1. An Al19 or smaller wont really give you enough gas if you plan on going to 100ft (or 130, depending on what organization sets your limits). While a 19 cuft tank is ample to 100 ft when full, it quickly gets drained down to something more like 2000psi just from turning it on and off before and after every dive, and testing the regulator. So if you are going with a pony bottle, the 30 is probably your better option. Sounds like you already came to that conclusion though. I imagine a 30 would be pretty annoying to strap onto your backgas tank though.
2. Mounting it to your tank doesnt allow you to see your valve or tank pressure during the dive. If you stage rig it and just attach it to your left shoulder and left hip d rings, you will be able to see the valve constantly throughout the dive and therefore be able to catch any leaks. You will also be able to easily check the pressure by using a 6" hose with an SPG on the end.

Those are the two reasons for slinging that come to mind right now. I know there are probably more. I only used a pony bottle very briefly though, so I do not have a wide range of experience with them

EDIT: Also, there is no cert required for slinging a pony. Slinging a pony is NOT the same as sidemount. That is a totally different system of diving that involves all your tanks slung from the side, and nothing on your back
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

Thanks Mortuus.

I should clarify a few things:

- I have a bp/w.
- Sorry, what I wrote is a bit confusing. I realize slinging a pony is not the same as sidemount. What I mean by that last point was that I was getting into side mount gear, like the idea of adding a butt plate to my wing.

The standard stage rigging, with the valve end clipped to my shoulder and the bottom end to my hip ring, is what I'm concerned about most. It would push the tank outward from my chest and potentially get in the way of my camera rig.

By clipping the the bottom end to either my back plate or a ring on a butt plate, clipping the valve end to a lower shoulder ring or even a hip ring and using a bungee to keep the valve from dragging, I end up with a "sidemount" like tank profile that leaves my chest and arms open to the camera rig. At least, that's the idea. I'm just not sure.
Last edited by doubtingGunnel on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

The bottle will not get in your way. If DIR guys can manage multiple bottles on the left hand side, plus a camera, then an Al30 should be fine. I dont have any camera experience though, so I cant say for sure. All I know is it seems to work for other people. Stage kits are cheap. If you already have an Al30 you might as well try it out. You can also adjust the rigging so it hangs lower or higher, etc.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

I find that when you sling a bottle, it actually tends to float bottom-up, and back, out of your way. Stage rigging isn't that expensive, I'd give it a try slung like a stage bottle first, then if that's really getting in your way, it won't be too difficult to move to sidemount.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I sling my AL30 using standard stage rigging and attach my camera to my right shoulder D-ring. Getting in and out (trying to use handrails, putting on fins, etc) can sometimes be a bit of a CF, but I haven't had an issue once in the water and in trim.
Kelly
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

My current rig has a tank mounted AL19 and I really like it. I have a small SPG on a hose long enough to clip off to the front of my BCD so that I can monitor it's pressure. I also have it mounted upside down so that I can reach down and back and turn it off if need be. I always enter the water with it turned on and don't turn it off until I exit. I use a bracket that was home built but is almost identical to the quick draw brackets sold by others. You may not be able to unhook it but your buddy can simply pull one pin and have the bottle.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUTPB.html
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

FYI, can you can really tighten up the neck stage strap up as close to the neck as possible on a stage rig, and while not sidemount,its in there pretty well. I was surprised last weekend with 2 slung 40's I really didnt notice them there.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I too am a camera toter. I carry an al30 and I mount mine on the right side of my main tank using the Diverite cam bands that mount right on your main takes cam bands. It works fine. A side mount is easy to set up also simply use a D ring on your
on your right or left side and run a bungy from your back plate under your arm and clipped to you shoulder D ring. It keeps everything in tight against you body and out of the way. If you already thinking side mount just buy one of the diverite butt plates and put it on the bottom of you BP for a very nice bar for your bottom clip. You can buy just the butt plate or you can buy it as a kit with everything you would need to set up side mounts. http://www.divegearexpress.com/rebreath ... shtml#2174
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. I'll give the standard rigging a try and see how it works with my camera.
rlynch356
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by rlynch356 »

When you stage mount it, you can also use the dive rite "choker" on the neck this will cinch it up to your shoulder d ring nice and tight. On a dive the stage really just disappears... And you don't notice it, easy slick and accessible when you need it. If you were going to back mount it, your better off in doubles, since you would in essence have mis matched isolated doubles on at that point. IMHO.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I don't carry a "pony", but you could very easily "sidemount" something like a 30 or a 40 without a butt plate. Just clip the bottom to your SPG D-ring. On the front, attach a cord with a small bolt snap to around the neck of the bottle and clip that to your chest D-ring (at this point it looks pretty much like a standard slung bottle). Then add an "old School" sidemount loop under the wing, and loop it around your valve. The bottle will ride way more streamlined and up out of the way for getting low to the ground for those macro shots.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman