Orcas

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
jokeborn
Frequent Bubbler

Orcas

Post by jokeborn »

Has anyone had an experience with an Orca while diving? I have studied these majestic beauties and the diver encounters so far have been friendly (I guess the unfriendly ones leave no survivors?).
"Those who dare cannot be called weak"
http://flickr.com/photos/7892717@N05/se ... 103784113/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Orcas are great watching them from a boat, but you DON'T want to be in the water with them on scuba. :pale: First, you look like a seal which is one of their primary foods but second, and more importantly, you don't want to be on open circut scuba because the bubbles attract them. They're extremely powerful and fast, and they have been known to attack divers in Puget Sound waters. Most of the time it's not fatal, but often it leaves pieces of diver for the crabs to enjoy. I believe the sixgill shark is one of the largest predatory sharks in the world, but they're NOTHING for divers in these waters to worry about when compared to the killer whales.

The best thing you can do is to get out of the water if you hear "whale songs." If you don't hear them, but see one (or THINK you see one) it's time to get out of the water... or at least swim shallower than other divers in the water so the killer whale will go after them. If you are about to be attacked by one, and have no option of escape, turn so they bite down on your tank first. The tank will help prevent their jaws from closing around your torso and usually is enough for them to decide you're not a seal. Another technique used by divers to avoid killer whale attacks is to awkwardly kick your legs and flail your arms around underwater... this is affectionately referred to by locals as doing "the kickin' chicken." It is unknown if doing this does any good against a whale attack or not, but hey - if it's me, and I see a whale, it makes sense that a seal wouldn't do the "kickin' chicken" so I do it.

Ok, enough of that... if you ever see an orca in these waters from a boat, consider yourself fortunate. They're beautiful creatures and we're lucky to have them in our waters. If you ever see one diving, go buy a lottery ticket and enjoy the moment - most people will never see one underwater. If I've got scuba and the whales are around my boat, I'd be really tempted to jump in and swim with them. Recently I read an article about diving with whales and it would be the chance of a lifetime. Orcas are dolphins, and being such they are extremely smart and have fantastic sensory capabilities underwater. They'll know you're not a seal before you even know they're there. Course, you could always throw out a "kickin' chicken" just to be safe. :dontknow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Most of the resident pods in the Puget Sound feed on salmon... and I definitely don't look like a salmon underwater! \:D/ I understand that it is only the transient pods that feed on marine mammals. Yes, an encounter with orcas would be rare... and lucky.

(Although I might pay to see Sounder do the kickin' chicken!) \:D/

I have witnessed attacks on sea lions while trolling along a kelp bed in Alaska. It is an awesome sight, and oddly enough it "cured" me of my slight fear of the beasties. When I saw how fast and powerful they were I realized that if they "wanted me", in a boat or out of one, they could get me and there was really nothing I could do about it if I was going to be in the water or on the water in anything smaller than a 50 ft. boat. I guess you could call it reverse psychology or whatever, but I haven't been concerned about them since.

And actually, I think I look more like a whale in the water than a seal, which brings up a whole 'nother set of problems. :pale: :axe:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I would get in the water with an Orca in a heart beat. Especially in Puget Sound.

Katrina and I were fortunate enough to enjoy the Orcas that hung out in Dyes Inlet about 10 years ago. We were in small sit on top kayaks. We spent three hours with them. They went under our tiny kayaks many times. We could reach out and touch there dorsal fin. We were sprayed with there breath and it was stinky. The only thing that kept me out of the water was the fear of being arrested!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:And actually, I think I look more like a whale in the water than a seal, which brings up a whole 'nother set of problems. :pale: :axe:
Cue the cheesy romantic music! Now THAT'S something I'd pay to see!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!