Poaching

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Cwest
Avid Diver

Poaching

Post by Cwest »

We dove KVI today. It was a pretty good dive with lots to see.Vis wasn't the best but it was good enough.
When we got there someone in a boat was fishing. Thought that was kinda odd but who am I to judge. Maybe they were fishing for flounders.
He left when he saw that we were dropping anchor and not going anywhere soon.

That is not what bothered me.

The problem I had was, when we found the reef,amongst all the other stuff to see, I found TWO (2) small lingcod with very recent spear scars on their heads.If you have ever wounded one you can't mistake the damage.
Now I have been spearfishing for a long time. I know sometimes people take a quick shot and wound a fish now and then. I think most wounded fish recover.
What I have no patience for is people that poach, especially spearfisherman.
I want folks to know and I hope others will do the same that If I see this happening I will take your photo, your boat numbers,call the cops and swear out a statement as to what I saw.
Happy Diving
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Someone's gotta help me out with what "KVI" is.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sergeant Pepper wrote:Someone's gotta help me out with what "KVI" is.
Boat dive frequented by several charters... "KVI Towers" might be a little clearer. It is right off a place with the large radio tower for said radio station.

And second the motion Cwest... I hate the indiscriminate taking of wildlife and I'd turn someone in as well. :axe: It's one thing is someone was taking something to feed their starvin' chilluns... but come on, how often is that the case? ...and with scuba?

For that matter, legal harvesting (at least spearfishing) at divesites that get lots of "normal" pressure is counterproductive IMO and lessens the pleasure of what we see when we're down there. "Legal" octopus harvest at popular divesites is at least a downer...

Other comments / perspectives?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Spear fishing at popular dive sites is legal, but bad form. I think some folks do it because it's easier to approach marine life that are used to being approached. There was a case a couple years back of a guy who was using these boards to find out where the octopus were ... then going out and harvesting them. Might still be doing it for all I know ... haven't seen very many large octopus at places where I used to see them all the time (Day Island Wall, for example).

On the other hand, spear fishing out of season ... or killing fish that are too small to be legally harvested ... should result in large fines and seizure of scuba gear ... including a boat if one is involved in the activity.

If someone's poaching, I do hope they get caught ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Cwest
Avid Diver

Post by Cwest »

Thank you,
KVI towers would have been better said. It is an artifical reef similar to Les Davis,Toliva and Itsami ledge. It is located in the northern part of Tramp Harbor on the east side of Vashon Is.It is open to fishing and that is perfectly fine with me.(I would like to see fishing reefs put deeper than rec diving depths but I'll take what I can get when it comes to reefs)

There was a case a couple years back of a guy who was using these boards to find out where the octopus were ... then going out and harvesting them. Might still be doing it for all I know ...
I recently asked about that guy at a local dive shop because I had not seen him around.If it is the same guy, I was told he died of a drug overdose awhlie back.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

1) Ling cod season has not started, poaching is cowardly stealing
2) Wounded fish usually die. I know this from experience culling fish at the Aquarium
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Cwest wrote:I recently asked about that guy at a local dive shop because I had not seen him around.If it is the same guy, I was told he died of a drug overdose awhlie back.
Aaah... how sad. :bounce:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Rob Holman
Avid Diver

Post by Rob Holman »

Poachers should be fined, have their gear confiscated, and right to harvest revoked.

I agree that people should not hunt at popular dive sties, but keep in mind some people have been hunting at sites long before they became "popular".