Diving off Slack Tide - 12/8

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Diving off Slack Tide - 12/8

Post by Scubie Doo »

Sorry the report is a little late. To be honest, I was hoping someone else would post a report and I would simply piggy back on it :smt064 Anyway, this past Saturday I joined Dive Monkey, Bucknaked, and Shane on Slack Tide for a couple boat dives. The day was spectacular and the seas were nice and calm. Our first dive took us to the east stanchions of the Narrows bridge. We jumped in and headed down to about 70' where we swam around the large concrete remnants of the old bridge. At one point, I was about 12" above a large GPO that we didn't even see. Once I got everyone's attention, we spent a good 5 minutes checking out our new found friend. At about the 20 minute mark the current really picked up and we were carried North a ways. Sometimes the current was whipping us through the water and a few times it completely died down. Toward the end of the dive I signaled Shane to ascend when he pointed out a large GPO behind a rock in about 11' of water. This GPO was very frisky, it came out a few times and even darted after me. Unfortunately, I did not get any pictures as my camera was not working due to operator error.

Our second dive was to the Point Defiance North Wall. What a cool dive! There were several warbonnets out in the open. A few grunts, and a really beautiful Octo. The dive was pretty simple, basically straight down to 80' and then we worked our way back up, again heading a bit north. Here are a few of my personal favorites.

Notice the beautiful pink colors? I had never seen this color in an octo before.

Here is another shot, a little closer to the eye.

I camped out on this little critter. It had been a very long time since I had seen a large Mosshead Warbonnet in the open. It just swam around and let me take shot after shot.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving off Slack Tide - 12/8

Post by LCF »

GREAT photos! Looks like a wonderful day of diving.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Cool! Pink octo!
Sounds like a fun trip.
I really like the diamond back nudibranch that you have in the click thru too!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

LCF wrote:GREAT photos! Looks like a wonderful day of diving.
Thanks. It was a much needed break from dives at the usual sites. I had never dove under the Narrows before, it was a very cool dive.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tom Nic wrote:Nice!
Thanks dude. Diving Thursday?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:Cool! Pink octo!
Sounds like a fun trip.
I really like the diamond back nudibranch that you have in the click thru too!
Haha, good eye. I love that picture too. There were tons out at LD. That one in particular stopped me because of the amount of pink in it.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubie Doo wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Nice!
Thanks dude. Diving Thursday?
I want to, no plans yet. Got anything in mind?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Haven't thought too much about it. Let me check my schedule and we'll figure something out.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Two awsome dives the narrows was on my bucket list. It was awsome. Bill the captian of the slack tide was awsome spot on with the tides very knowable. Made hot food and drinks while on board his boat. The really nice thing about his boat besides the captain and great service is six people max. So there isnt a cluster on the boat or underwater.no random people. I would definitely charter dives with him again. The dives were awsome. North wall is just bad ass. The sturcter is very luner. Huge clay boldars. Pock marked with holes. The sturctuer is as cool as the fish.
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

Sorry i don't do well with trip reports. That said...Two awesome dives! The narrows was a very cool drift dive! We managed to find everything we were looking for. Anchor and anchor blocks. even a large octo out in the open! At the end when the current picked up,i was a little out of my comfort zone but still very cool. The highlight of the day for me was point defiance north wall. it is now hands down my favorite dive site! We had a nice gentle push past a moon scape.Lots of nooks and over hangs. If you go out a little deeper (90' or so) you can find some very large structure that i still have no idea how it got there. I give Bill and Northwest Dive Charters two thumbs up!