Les Davis 12/21

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mpenders
Submariner

Les Davis 12/21

Post by mpenders »

In celebration of surviving the apocalypse, Scubie Doo, ZSAOLY and myself headed to Les Davis to see what was left of the underwater world.

We hit the water about 7pm, hitting the slack before the flood. Viz was a little milky, but about average for LD - maybe 15ft. Let's just say It was a good day to be shooting macro. My computer recorded the temp at 47*.

Right off the bat, Scubie found a stubby squid while we were heading out to the structure that he and Zack blinded awhile with their strobes. I settled with trying to get a decent picture of a winged stomach in the water column - and failed.

We ended up with a 62 min dive with a max depth of 84fsw, and all came home with a few decent pictures, I think... :smt064

Here's a few I managed:
Tritonia.JPG
Moon Jelly.JPG
Really like the yellows this little guy was displaying.
Really like the yellows this little guy was displaying.
Looks like this Tritonia laid it's eggs, was exhausted and crashed...literally
Looks like this Tritonia laid it's eggs, was exhausted and crashed...literally
We retired to the Spar where we consumed mass quantities and came to the conclusion that: (1) Scubie needs modify his semi-dry suit back into a drysuit, (2) Zach needs battery heated socks, thermals, and gloves, (3) I'm needing to up my game to a DSLR, and (4) we all really need to go dive some warm water....
Furnari
Aquaphile

Re: Les Davis 12/21

Post by Furnari »

Just out of curiosity, what kind of camera rig are you shooting now? Those are nice macro shots.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Nice shots Penders. Back to shooting my G10, since my 5d housing is in for service and trying to get it dialed in again. My eyes are set to super macro from shooting with my 100mm on the 5d and the G10 is not setup for it :-) Takes a while to get adjusted. Here are a few favorites.

The highlight was the small juvenile heart crab... I think :-)

mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Thanks!

I'm shooting with a Canon G10 in a FIX housing I also use flip-down diopters for the really tiny (but slow moving) stuff. I used them for that that last pic of the Tritonia, which was posted pretty much uncropped.

Nice shots, Jesse - coming back to shooting with your G10 is just like riding a bike huh?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

mpenders wrote:Thanks!

I'm shooting with a Canon G10 in a FIX housing I also use flip-down diopters for the really tiny (but slow moving) stuff. I used them for that that last pic of the Tritonia, which was posted pretty much uncropped.

Nice shots, Jesse - coming back to shooting with your G10 is just like riding a bike huh?
Don't know if it's that easy :) I think it is in my mind. My eyes keep seeing great super macro shots, but my rig can't deliver.

I really liked your Tritonia pic. The comment made me chuckle, because it did look exhausted. Have a good Christmas buddy!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice pics guys!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman