Sunrise Wall on Saturday

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Sunrise Wall on Saturday

Post by dphershman »

On Saturday we went to Sunrise co. park to dive what looked to be a decent slack (2 knot to 2 knot swing). Apparently a lot of others thought the same thing as the parking lot was filled to capacity. (anyone know what happened to the port-a-potty?)

We timed our dive for the predicted 11:00 AM slack but on entry found the current still ripping enough to flatten all the sea grass. Hand over hand time! We kicked hard and managed to get to the protection of the wall and started to head south along the wall. One hand on the wall to hold position and one hand on the camera. At least the current was going in our direction.

There were GPOs everywhere.... every crack and crevice had one. There was one male out and about trying to gain entrance to a potential mate's den. He was not going to be distracted by mere divers, for sure!

Didn't see too many wolf eels this time, but I did briefly spot the juvenile at the southern end of the wall. You have go to the bottom of the wall and look up to see him. He's apparently quite camera shy and only allowed one quick shot before ducking back into his protective crevice.

Sunrise always seems to have a good population of sculpins willing to pose for the camera, such as this colorful scalyhead.
Image.

We expected the current to lessen during the dive, but when we hit the southern end of the wall, the current suddenly turned around just as strong as before. Oh well, at least it was taking us back in the right direction!

I can never resist getting a shot of the 'smiling' scallops

or a Nanaimo Dorid seeking shelter from the current in a small hole.
Last edited by dphershman on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Hershman :smt024
gymratdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Sunrise Wall on Saturday

Post by gymratdiver »

Great pics! I am always amazed at how well the people on this site know their critter names!! I need to study up more for sure. What camera are you using? I have a d90 that I use above ground but never bought a housing for it. Maybe someday.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Your exquisite photo of the scaleyhead makes it easy to identify.
-Curt :salute:
Happy to be alive.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Your exquisite photo of the scaleyhead makes it easy to identify.
Happy to be alive.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

gymratdiver wrote:Great pics! I am always amazed at how well the people on this site know their critter names!! I need to study up more for sure. What camera are you using? I have a d90 that I use above ground but never bought a housing for it. Maybe someday.

Thanks!

I'm currently using a D800, but most of my UW pics have been taken on my trusty D80. Add a housing, flat port and a 60mm macro lens to your D90 and you'll have a perfect setup for shooting critters large and small. :-)

Dan
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks the scallops are cool . . .

gymratdiver, your comment reminds me of something somebody said on our boat dive last weekend. He said, "When I dive with my usual buddies, we come up and say, 'Did you see that cool fish? It was a big one!' When I dive with Lynne, I come up and say, 'Did you see that cool fish?' And she says, 'Yeah, that was a green-striped waddling bumgartner . . . '"
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

gymratdiver wrote:Great pics! I am always amazed at how well the people on this site know their critter names!! I need to study up more for sure. What camera are you using? I have a d90 that I use above ground but never bought a housing for it. Maybe someday.
If you want to learn more about fish ID go to Janna's site and dive into the reef fishanars. Tons of free info and a great way to learn. http://www.pnwscuba.com/critterwatchers/
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

oldsalt wrote:Your exquisite photo of the scaleyhead makes it easy to identify.

Thanks!

If you sit at the bottom of the wall and spot one working its way down you can position yourself to get a good head shot relatively easily as it descends towards you. Using a red focus light does seem to make them less nervous at being approached as well.

Dan
gymratdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by gymratdiver »

Oh yes, I see the "big one" or that "weird looking one with the two eyes" all the time!! [TROPICAL FISH][FISH]

I will definitely take a look at that site! Thanks for the info.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Oh wow! It's been a long time since I've dove Sunrise. It is one of my favorite dive sites of Puget Sound.
"No Port-A-Potty?" that sux! I hope they get one back there, The $5.00 license fee should at least pay for that much.
Great pics Dan! (as always) :supz:

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
GMan
Frequent Bubbler

Post by GMan »

dphershman wrote:On Saturday we went to Sunrise co. park to dive what looked to be a decent slack (2 knot to 2 knot swing). Apparently a lot of others thought the same thing as the parking lot was filled to capacity. (anyone know what happened to the port-a-potty?)

We timed our dive for the predicted 11:00 AM slack but on entry found the current still ripping enough to flatten all the sea grass. Hand over hand time! We kicked hard and managed to get to the protection of the wall and started to head south along the wall. One hand on the wall to hold position and one hand on the camera. At least the current was going in our direction.
My experience with the currents at Sunrise is that you want to start the dive during flood current, 30-45 minutes before slack, preferably followed by a small ebb. What's everyone's opinion on this?
For example, I think a better splash time would have been 6am :eek: on that day http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow. ... %20Current
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Same i use for DIW, which is 30-45M before slack on south current station. Of course you want a small flood and ebb on either side.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.