Dive bin

General banter about diving and why we love it.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Dive bin

Post by fnerg »

So, not being one of the folks with a truck, I've been carting my loose gear back and forth in a large plastic bin. I've already destroyed one, and the second is on it's last legs, does anyone have specific bin brand recommendations? What sd you folks carry loose gear in?
Kees
Avid Diver

Re: Dive bin

Post by Kees »

I have two bins, one for my drysuit, light, and gauges that goes in my trunk. It is made of a rigid clear plastic that is brittle and I don't recommend. I only use it because it can fit on top of a set of double 100s in my trunk.

The other bin is for everything else - it's a dark blue rubbermaid bin. I believe it is a 25 gallon. It has just enough space for two wings, a plate, assorted pocket contents, and a set of JetFins. It is very flexible and is still watertight after a year (I occasionally use it as a rinse tub too). The lid is great for changing on when it gets wet outside, and will scratch but won't break. It also has the benefit of being opaque, so that my gear isn't quite so obvious in the passenger compartment.
"I can stop any time I want to."
-Airsix on scooter addiction
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

In theory the Rubbermaid bins have a lifetime warranty. I've got a couple with busted handles but no receipts, I suppose I should see if I can get them replaced.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The rubbermaid ones last the longest. The plastic on all the lessor name brands seems to be excessively brittle.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Agreed, the Rubbermaid ones have lasted the longest for me as well. I went through the cheaper ones like they were nothing, but still have a couple rubbermaids I've been using for a few years now.

D
aadolfi
Aquaphile

Post by aadolfi »

Not sure how big your vehicle is, but if you can fit one of these totes from Lowes (see link below) they will hold everything but your tanks. I have had mine for 8 years and if someone hadn't run over the lid at cove 2 it would still be in perfect shape. I do have a truck, but I have slid it into the back seat of a number of cars, and the wheels are nice for moving it around.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1
The purpose of life should not be to journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Holy S#it!!!" What a Ride!!!