Brand new, certified diver...

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
jskjd4
Getting To Know Folks

Brand new, certified diver...

Post by jskjd4 »

Okay so for most of you, you probably remember that first breath you took underwater. You probably watched as you exhaled and suddenly realized, "wow! what an amazing feeling it is to breathe underwater." For me, that was not the case...My first breath underwater lasted a whole two seconds at the 3 foot mark in the pool. I went down, took in a deep breath, and then...I panicked! I shot right back to the surface and didn't know if I ever wanted to go down again. I even started shaking and didn't stop until 30 minutes into the pool session.

I look back at my class that took place over a month ago and laugh at myself. Today...a mere 6 hours ago, I did my first dive in the ocean which was also my second dive for certification. It was amazing! My PADI dive instructor helped me overcome my fears, relax, and enjoy the world around me. As you can probably tell, I have the new, Open Water certified diver glow. I just got certified today in Wilmington, NC. \:D/

Anyways, the point of my post...my name is Kari and I am a college student up in Alaska that went on exchange to the University of NC Wilmington for a semester. I'm originally from Idaho and I'll be back in Lewiston (right next to WA border) in 2 weeks and was interested in finding some local dive opportunities and affordable trips for a newly certified diver. Just wanted to say "hey everyone!" and hopefully I can find a summer dive buddy before I head back to Eskimo Land (no they don't ALL wear parkas and ride around on sled dogs and polar bears don't run all over Alaska). But if anyone is interested in some FW dives or maybe taking a trip to the coast for weekend dives, send me an email. Thanks for letting be on the board. I can't wait to learn more about all of you! :book:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Welcome to Diving I rember how excited I was 300 dives ago when I first got my open water cert its easy to rember for me

you see I am going to shoot it to you stright some thing you should know about diving before you go much further and your instrustor may have negelectied to mention ITS an adiction wel at least my wife said I was adicted to diving .

second thing I belive we do have some high highlanders in the club
so you should have no problem finding some one to show you around and enjoy afew dives with

I do know at least two of our members are " Alaskain " and they are grate divers to know if you dive in Alaskia I have never had the pleasure to actuly go but I know a few that have and im told if you want to see all the best diving in Alaskia there is no one better to talk to or dive with while up in the North land

and might I also say welcome to our little POD I can tell you these are the worlds best divers and friends you could do a lot worse then to hook up with one of the other embers here at NW Dive Club and have a grate time

welcome aboard and congrats but remember I did warn ya you cant say you were never told Diving was so adicting

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Welcome to the club. Just let us know when you would like to go, and we'd be happy to accompany you. Congratulations on your certification! =D>
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hi Kari!

Glad you found NWDiveclub!

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving! Congratulations... and Keep It Up! =D>
:wav:

You'll find plenty of people willing to dive with you here if you can make it over to our neck of the woods. A little advance notice is always helpful...

In addition, you'll find that Alaska has some AWESOME diving! I beleive that Dmitchell on this board is located in Juneau and has a diveshop there. Diver Dave is in Sitka... Bassman and I have had the privilege of diving there.

All you need is to continue your training and your diving, :book: and a drysuit wouldn't hurt either, and you're on your way!

Let us know when you're in the area...

-Tom Nic
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Kari,

If you aren't on ScubaBoard, sign up over there and PM Rick Inman about diving opportunities on the WA/ID border.

If you make it over to our neck of the woods, give me a shout; one of my true pleasures is taking novice divers out. I was shown so much kindness when I was new, I love paying it forward.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hey, there. Welcome to our site. LCF is right on the money- Rick Inman is "the man" as far as WA/ID border diving goes- lotsa lakes and such over there to explore. If you want to come out this way and taste some salt water, there's lots of us willing to show a new diver around.
jskjd4
Getting To Know Folks

Post by jskjd4 »

Hey everyone! Thanks for the welcome. I will definately give you all a shout out if I make it over to the WA coast. And thanks for the news about the Wa/ID border place to look! I won't forget that diving is addictive :). Thanks again! :salute:

~kari~
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Hey Kari,

Welcome. I hope you make it over here and get some diving in. The Puget Sound is the best place to dive in the world. Ok I'll admit that it's the only place I have been diving. But it is wonderful. Let us know if you are coming our way. I know that there are a lot of folks here (myself included) that would love to show you around our Sound (we might brag a little about how good we have it, but we are good peeps).

Cheers,

Holly (also addicted to blowing bubbles)
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Kari! =D>
I too, would like to dive with you if you get over this way.(Tacoma- Seattle)
Tom nic and I dive at least once a week. You can join in any time, we know of a few easy non-current sensitive dive sites you would enjoy very much. It's great to hear another story of the first time breathing underwater "It is not Normal!" But after you get over that, it is the greatest thing since sliced bread! I am soooo hooked now!
Now, if you just get a dry suit, you can dive up in Alaska too! :supz:
Tom and I have had some wonderful dives in Sitka!

Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

welcome kari, and congrats on the cert! now, lets go get wet... :supz: :supz:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!