Fox Island West Wall - 2/14/13

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Fox Island West Wall - 2/14/13

Post by Scubie Doo »

I went out to FIWW this afternoon. My goal was to take a picture of a stalking giant nudibranch attacking the tube-dwelling anemone head-on. I kind of accomplished my goal. However, the nudibranch attacked from a weird angle and I got the head-on shot but sideways :) When I got to the wall, it was absolutely covered with California Berthella and Leopard Dorids. Toward the end of the dive I found a cool little Jellyfish and spent a few moments snapping away. Viz was about 15-20' and very hazy. Happy V-Day everyone and enjoy the weekend!

The Head-on Nudibranch Photo...

The cool Jelly and friends...

Nudibranch Egg Strand

Nudi on a stick. When I saw the Nudibranch perched on this stick, it stopped me in my tracks.
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Re: Fox Island West Wall - 2/14/13

Post by KeithBoll »

Love the Nudi on a stick picture! Were you using a 100mm Macro lens?
Thanks, Keith
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, I am SO envious of the shot of the jelly . . . I try SO hard to get those guys, so I know how difficult it is to get a picture that well lit and that sharp.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

KeithBoll wrote:Love the Nudi on a stick picture! Were you using a 100mm Macro lens?
Thanks, Keith
Keith, I was indeed. I really love that lens, but it is limited to macro only subjects. It is very difficult to get entire subjects larger than my hand in the frame.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

LCF wrote:Oh, I am SO envious of the shot of the jelly . . . I try SO hard to get those guys, so I know how difficult it is to get a picture that well lit and that sharp.
Thanks Lynne. You are correct, those are extremely tough to photograph. Plus, I didn't post the 12 other shots that came out like crap :eric:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yeah -- that was like my little squid. My mother had a great saying: "Even a blind pig gets an acorn every once in a while." Sometimes I think photography is a bit like that :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Scubie Doo wrote: Thanks Lynne. You are correct, those are extremely tough to photograph. Plus, I didn't post the 12 other shots that came out like crap :eric:
Yep at least a dozen!
LCF wrote:Yeah -- that was like my little squid. My mother had a great saying: "Even a blind pig gets an acorn every once in a while." Sometimes I think photography is a bit like that :)
If it's worth one it's worth a dozen! Each subject is a potential jewel and if you don't get it it's because you didn't take enough shots at it.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I believe one should judge an artist by his masterpieces. The little medusa with what looks like crab zoea is such a masterpiece. Way to go maestro.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

oldsalt wrote:I believe one should judge an artist by his masterpieces. The little medusa with what looks like crab zoea is such a masterpiece. Way to go maestro.
-Curt
Thank you very much Curt!
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

That jellyfish shot is beautiful! Love the composition.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Really like the jelly shot, Scoob!