Cove 2 03/04/13

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Cove 2 03/04/13

Post by doubtingGunnel »

Met up with a bunch of friends for a Monday dive at Cove 2. Empty parking lot was a bit surprising. Milky viz in the first 15 feet but then opened up to about 20 to 25 feet. Had two seals accompany us for much of the dive. Shrimp! Shrimp everywhere! And so many Cockscombs! I'm loving the crazy stuff I can get with a diopter. So much fun. We ended the night by being threatened by two very drunk and aggressive guys who decided they were outnumbered and left before SPD showed up. Still a bit unnerving for 8:30 PM on a Monday.

Threespine Shrimp (Heptacarpus tridens) - I think. Confused by Eualus townsendi

Coonstripe Shrimp (Pandalus danae)

Grunt Sculpin (Rhamphocottus richardsonii)

Slender Cockscomb (Anoplarchus insignis) - Pretty sure, but the small fleshy crest makes me wonder

Horned Shrimp (Paracrangon echinata) - I've never seen one this color before.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Cove 2 03/04/13

Post by LCF »

Fabulous shot of the translucent shrimp on the piling! I keep trying to get a good picture of them, because the colors are so beautiful, but clearly the diopter makes a big difference.

Where did you find the cockscomb? I've never seen one there, but maybe I'm not recognizing them when I see them.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

LCF wrote:Fabulous shot of the translucent shrimp on the piling! I keep trying to get a good picture of them, because the colors are so beautiful, but clearly the diopter makes a big difference.

Where did you find the cockscomb? I've never seen one there, but maybe I'm not recognizing them when I see them.
Thanks!
The cockscombs were all on the bottom, close to little rock pilings that they would retreat into. This one was a little south of the Honeybear. They were pretty small, about 6 inches in length. I only saw them because I wanted to get some shrimp portraits on this dive and spent most of the dive staring at the ground.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Digging the ultra macro on shot #2. Nice job.