Diggin for ducks

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Diggin for ducks

Post by kdupreez »

a friend of mine moved from FL to Seattle not too long ago and he has been fascinated by Geoducks.

Does anyone know of places thats not 2 hours drive away that he can dig for ducks at low tide?

He is not a diver, so he doesnt want to dive and dive, just low tide walk/wade and dig.

K
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Diggin for ducks

Post by CaptnJack »

Check the rules but maybe Tolmie?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

thanks Richard!

I'll have a look at Tolmie, it's still pretty far south, anything closer that anyone can think of, drop me a note.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

kdupreez wrote:thanks Richard!

I'll have a look at Tolmie, it's still pretty far south, anything closer that anyone can think of, drop me a note.
Pretty much all the beaches in King County are permanently closed by the DOH. Have to get into N. Snohomish, or parts of S. Pierce co.

I think Kayak Point might be open. (At least from DOH, have to check with DFW too)

http://ww4.doh.wa.gov/scripts/esrimap. ... 215&Step=1

Pretty sad statement about the state of Puget Sound.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:
kdupreez wrote:thanks Richard!

Pretty much all the beaches in King County are permanently closed by the DOH. Have to get into N. Snohomish, or parts of S. Pierce co.

I think Kayak Point might be open. (At least from DOH, have to check with DFW too)

http://ww4.doh.wa.gov/scripts/esrimap. ... 215&Step=1

Pretty sad statement about the state of Puget Sound.
What Brewer said. King, northern Pierce and south Snohomish Counties are default closed for shellfish. This is mostly due to the number of stormwater outfalls and the impossibility of testing near all of them for (mostly) bacterial contamination.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Thanks a lot guys, this helps a lot.

I'll pass it along to my geoduck diggin buddy.

cheers! :partyman:
elmer fudd
Just Settling In

Post by elmer fudd »

The best places to get them are on private tide lands. Now a lot of these actually are open to the public. How far out a property owner owns depends on when the original title was issued and can extend all the way out to the lowest low tide mark and beyond or simply to the high tide line. The later the title was issued the less they own. As time went on they kept moving back the tidelands that a property owner had rights to. So far as I know, there is no map showing which tidelands are which.

You want to look for mudflats and go on a minus tide. You can either dig them with a goeduck tube, (a cylinder about 18" in diameter and 3' long), or with just a shovel. I use both methods. The tube is about twice as fast. You drive it into the mud above the duck and then dig out the hole with your shovel. Use the other method for when you have two or three clams in close proximity. Tubes don't work well for that. Basically, you dig a hole about 3' in diameter and use the mud you dig to build a wall about 4' in diameter surrounding the hole. The wall keeps the water from flowing in and flooding your hole. Either method requires hard work and a strong back. This is not an activity for the weak or disabled.

If you make a goeduck tube remember to include some holes or handles near the top so that you have a way to pull it back out of the mud.

A good bet is to befriend someone who owns waterfront property or has permission to use it.

I've got my own spots, but I can't really share them.