How do you transport your gear?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

How do you transport your gear?

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Trying to figure out best way to transport my gear post dive when it is wet.

I have a VW GTI so not huge and easily wet. Was thinking of making a box like setup with plastic liner or just some tubs to carry tanks and the like......wanted to see what other people out there are doing.

Thoughts or options?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: How do you transport your gear?

Post by spatman »

Big Rubbermaid tubs.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Go to home depot or Lowes and look for the black plastic bins. They come in different sizes and you can usually find something that wil fit in your trunk. The tanks usually do not retain water so no need to throw them in the bin.
When you get home you can just fill the bin with fresh water, soak and empty. Hang gear to dry with bin directly below to catch drops.

Thats not what I do :taco:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I just bring my dive locker with me. I have a heated spray tank in the bed of the pick up so we can wash our gear on site. Then hang it on the racks to dry and for storage unless I am using the trailer for other stuff.

Image :eek:
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Awesome...that is what I was thinking just going with Tubs.

Final question on the "Hang dry". The seals on drysuits I have read that you should not have them near a furnace as it could break down the seals. If I only have a hot water heater, same issue? As I have all electric heat? I plan on basement to dry before storing.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The rubbermaid brand tubs are slightly more expensive than various store brands but last far far longer. You do need something in your trunk or the salt water will rust it out quick.

You don't want latex seals near any kinds of electric motors, the ozone produced by the arc inside the motor degrades the latex. The suit doesn't need to dry, an unheated garage is fine.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

CaptnJack wrote:The rubbermaid brand tubs are slightly more expensive than various store brands but last far far longer. You do need something in your trunk or the salt water will rust it out quick.

You don't want latex seals near any kinds of electric motors, the ozone produced by the arc inside the motor degrades the latex. The suit doesn't need to dry, an unheated garage is fine.

No garage :-( Punishment of living were I do in Seattle.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

seattlepaul1975 wrote:Awesome...that is what I was thinking just going with Tubs.

Final question on the "Hang dry". The seals on drysuits I have read that you should not have them near a furnace as it could break down the seals. If I only have a hot water heater, same issue? As I have all electric heat? I plan on basement to dry before storing.
I hang mine in the basement where I have a gas water heater and furnace. The suit hangs about 15' away from them and I've never had a problem with my seals degrading from anything other than normal use.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

spatman wrote:
seattlepaul1975 wrote:Awesome...that is what I was thinking just going with Tubs.

I hang mine in the basement where I have a gas water heater and furnace. The suit hangs about 15' away from them and I've never had a problem with my seals degrading from anything other than normal use.

Awesome! Thanks!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

If the divider between the back of the hatchback and the rear seats folds down, think about using a Stanley tool trunk:

They come in two sizes, and we use the smaller one for transporting our stuff. Fits neatly in the back of my Audi station wagon, and has the advantage of rolling, too.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

LCF wrote:If the divider between the back of the hatchback and the rear seats folds down, think about using a Stanley tool trunk:

They come in two sizes, and we use the smaller one for transporting our stuff. Fits neatly in the back of my Audi station wagon, and has the advantage of rolling, too.
Awesome!!!! Will look these up.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

The suggestions here for tubs is great; I use them with great success. I suggest also that you get a floor mat for the trunk area, a floor mat with raised sides. Saltwater is brutal to the back of your car. Under the mat in the back of the car is the top of the fuel tank which contains the fuel sending unit. You do NOT want rust in this area. A floor mat with raised sides keeps salt water from soaking your mat, even water from the tanks. In addition, get a plastic or rubber pail to store your weight belt in. Those bags of lead shot hold a lot of water. I keep my weight belt separate from the rest of my gear as the water that drains from my weight belt is gray. I don't want to know how much lead might be in that water. I can tell you that the water that drains from my weight belt stains the garage floor.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Line it up with tarp, then you can put all the abovementioned suggestions on top of it. It will always keep the carpet lining of your trunk clean.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Tubs are great. IF you can get everything in a tub > that will work. With 2 people even in a Legacy wagon we cannot. Our drysuits must hold 1-2 pints of water in the external fabric EACH. My BC (diver-rite) is awful for holding water.
We got one of these and it made a huge improvement.
SEASOFT Dry-Mat-Bag™ with Roll-out Mat: http://www.seasoftscuba.com/gear-bags/drybag.html
It's expensive but well made and large enough for 2-3 neoprene suits. It was money very well spent.
The Armor #66 dry duffel is similar, $70 at Lighthouse but not as large.
http://www.armorbags.com/specialtybags.htm

FWIW my cargo area is lined with 5mil PVC, layers of towels, blue tarp, more towels, then the cargo pan. Before we got the Seasoft bag and the cargo pan even with all that protection and layers I'd still end up with saltwater sloshing around in the spare tire area....argh!
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

fmerkel wrote:Tubs are great. IF you can get everything in a tub > that will work. With 2 people even in a Legacy wagon we cannot. Our drysuits must hold 1-2 pints of water in the external fabric EACH. My BC (diver-rite) is awful for holding water.
We got one of these and it made a huge improvement.
SEASOFT Dry-Mat-Bag™ with Roll-out Mat: http://www.seasoftscuba.com/gear-bags/drybag.html
It's expensive but well made and large enough for 2-3 neoprene suits. It was money very well spent.
The Armor #66 dry duffel is similar, $70 at Lighthouse but not as large.
http://www.armorbags.com/specialtybags.htm

FWIW my cargo area is lined with 5mil PVC, layers of towels, blue tarp, more towels, then the cargo pan. Before we got the Seasoft bag and the cargo pan even with all that protection and layers I'd still end up with saltwater sloshing around in the spare tire area....argh!

How big is the SEASOFT Bag? From your use, do you think it could carry drysuit/bc and gear for 1?
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Probably, but.... If it was X-LG everything and that meant a full neoprene suit + BC + reg + misc, it might be kinda tight.
We just use it for the suits and it fits 2 small 5mil neoprene suits easily (sloppy roll/fold). The other wet stuff goes in the 18gal Rubbermaid tubs. We have put 3 neoprene drysuits in before and that fills it up.
The owner Bruce Justinen uses it for a rinse bucket. He unzips it enough to put a hose end in and lets it run for awhile. The material/bag is tough and waterproof. The zipper is not a dryzip, kinda more like resistant to water.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Thanks for the info fmerkel.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We can get all the gear for one diver into one of the small Stanley trunks -- that's including dry suit and boots. Everything but the tank.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

fmerkel wrote: With 2 people even in a Legacy wagon we cannot.
You've got too much crap. I have quite reasonably fit 2 divers worth of gear for 2 dives plus 2 scooters in a Jetta wagon which is a fair bit smaller than a Legacy...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I know this will be no help but first BUY A TRUCK. I have a walmart tub and I bring a 32 gallon garbage can along with rinse water. After the dive everything gets dunked and I let it drain off in the back of the truck before putting them into the tub. I bought a chrome type clothes thing from Lowes but it is definitely showing signs of rust. I am going to build myself a rack on of these days.(procrastination) once I get home I hang everything on the rack except hood,boots and suit. they come into the house and I lay the suit on the washer, but right now I am not using the washer due to septic problems. hood and boot dry faster in the house.

Now one of these days I am going to build me a nice storage shed for all my gear. Fortunately I have the room for one
Jeff Castor
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

pogiguy05 wrote:I know this will be no help but first BUY A TRUCK. I have a walmart tub and I bring a 32 gallon garbage can along with rinse water. After the dive everything gets dunked and I let it drain off in the back of the truck before putting them into the tub. I bought a chrome type clothes thing from Lowes but it is definitely showing signs of rust. I am going to build myself a rack on of these days.(procrastination) once I get home I hang everything on the rack except hood,boots and suit. they come into the house and I lay the suit on the washer, but right now I am not using the washer due to septic problems. hood and boot dry faster in the house.

Now one of these days I am going to build me a nice storage shed for all my gear. Fortunately I have the room for one
Buy a truck the man says....funny you say that...I am already looking at used options just for that reason :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Just be sure to get a bedliner and rinse off the tailgate religiously
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

CaptnJack wrote:Just be sure to get a bedliner and rinse off the tailgate religiously
Yup...also considering a Element ;-) So I can just hose it all out.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

seattlepaul1975 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Just be sure to get a bedliner and rinse off the tailgate religiously
Yup...also considering a Element ;-) So I can just hose it all out.
There are a few of those around too. In winter the back of my truck rarely dries. Not sure how much routine hosing you'd want to do inside an Element in winter.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

And get a sprayed in liner, not a plastic one. They eventually crack and the saltwater gets underneath and rusts without you noticing it.