Possible dive on 4/27

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Possible dive on 4/27

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Howdy all...so as all my gear is rolling in, I want to get out and do a couple of dives this weekend....my dive buddy was going to be my wife...but she has decided at this point she is a warm water diver only...still working on that.....but wanted to get out and do 2 dives this Saturday to start to dial in the gear and get used to it.

Will be dives 13/14 for me. So wondering if anyone out there would be up to do a dive or 2 with someone still trying to figure out all the wrinkles of new gear and a new diver. Let me know
sarinae
Aquaphile

Re: Possible dive on 4/27

Post by sarinae »

Howdy!

I should be more free after the morning t-ball game wraps up around 10ish. I think my dear hubby might be willing to pick up the third kid at his event and that should leave me some diving time. My friend just got cert'd a couple of weeks ago and I'd like to get him out on Sunday too.

I'm not super experienced either, but feel confident that I won't be adding to any issues you might have and maybe even be able to help out a bit. Where are you thinking? This would be around dive 30 for me.

Let us know what area you are thinking and what time, we should be able to organize a few other divers. I'll bring some warm tea and chocolate, if that helps entice anyone. :)

Sarina
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Sarinae...you said sunday in your response....I can't do Sunday only Saturday..which day worked for you? I am all good with others joining....would be great...I am free all day Saturday..my wife is doing the Garage Sales up in Mulkiteo so I figured I can go diving! :-)
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Hey Seattlepaul1975,
I'm always looking for a buddy who isn't too crazy in the water, so Saturday looks good. Just checked the tide tables http://www.planyourdive.com/tides/?site ... =4/22/2013 and it looks like afternoon diving would be better with the big exchanges this weekend, what are you thinking?

T-dock is popular for classes on Sat and they can kick up lots of silt. Were you thinking Mukilteo? I'm up here on the northend so I'm open to ideas. I haven't done the fuel dock except on my checkouts, but that might be an option too. Here is the dive briefing: http://www.planyourdive.com/map/sites/7 ... el%20Dock/ EUWP is always good too. Let me know what you have in mind.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

I am good all day. I am in Wallingford area in Seattle and go go to pretty much any place to dive. No big issue for me, Edmunds, Mukilteo or Alki or anyplace else.
If afternoon is good for you I am good for that.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

sarinae wrote: I'll bring some warm tea and chocolate, if that helps entice anyone. :)

Sarina
You sure do know how to entice. :) I would be there with you guys if I wasn't doing the Silo dive.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Sure, sure, just rub in the very cool dive you're doing this weekend! I am green with envy! Should be a fabulous weather weekend in E WA. Grab some fresh asparagus on your way home, should be peak season. If you need a recipe for pickled asparagus, holler!
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Wondering how Golden Gardens would be, anyone able to weigh in on this site? I can't find much info on it, but it seems like it might be a good one for working out gear kinks since it is only 45fsw, sandy, with easy access. Hoping someone out there knows more, I've never done that one. For some reason it isn't listed in our Dive Site listing and http://www.planyourdive.com/map/sites/4 ... 20Gardens/ doesn't have a whole lot of info to go on.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

I have walked around the trails there often......any idea how close the parking is to the sites? I didn't think that they were that close.
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Google maps shows a couple of parking areas. One right next to the 'bathhouse', so maybe that is a possibility. It will be a low tide on Saturday, so that is something to think about too, instead of 15-45 fsw it might be quite a bit less where there is stuff to see. Probably still good for kinks. Lighthouse park in Mukilteo might be ok too, one of the ESDC members said that she went recently and there wasn't much to see there, but it isn't crazy with divers either.

Going in the afternoon we should be clear of most of the OW students, they typically meet early and finish by lunch time.

Thoughts?
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Well Saturday is supposed to be cloudy and not sunny, so Golden Gardens may not be packed...on a sunny day it is usually packed.

I am open to most any place...it would be great to see some cool stuff as well if at all possible, but there is lots of time for that. :-) Do you have favorite dive site or a go-to one that you like?
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

I only have about 28 dives under my belt, less than half of those are local. Checkout dives at Mukilteo T-dock, some EUWP, Alki Coves 1/2, and Redondo. Pretty limited experience, which I hope to rectify. Just let me know what sounds good to you, I am flexible for location and time that day, and not being sunny should help with the parking situation at the usual haunts. Also, going after lunch means that students will have departed the parking spaces too!

Sarina
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

I would pick T-Dock or EUWP. I hate the swim part of it. But what can ya do :)
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Vis at EUWP was nothing short of Craptastic last Saturday.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Especially this time of year you most likely want to avoid EUP at low tide too.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

I was just looking at the tables...it looks like a huge tide difference this weekend....
http://usharbors.com/monthly-tides/Wash ... le/2013-04
Perhaps not a good weekend for it?
Jimothy
Avid Diver

Post by Jimothy »

EUP was like diving in soup on Saturday. Mukilteo was not much better last friday, from shore to 80fsw was <5' vis. 80-110fsw cleaned up to ~15'.

I could probably make it out Saturday, Sunday if Drift Dive is cancelled.
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Cool, Jim! I hope your Sunday dive is not cancelled though, it sounds super fun for those with sufficient skills. I'm not there yet and wouldn't want to bring down the group.

What do you think for location, based on the fact that seattlepaul1975 needs to work on some trim issues with equipment? I always have issues, so just ignore me. :) Not sure if the sun this week will mess up our viz. It isn't much fun to dive when it's <5, but I'm still willing to go out if it will be helpful to someone else.

I am hopeful that the large morning exchange with the negative low tide will wash away some of the crap, anyone know? No worries, seattlepaul1975, I think it should be ok in the afternoon. Major issue will be the viz. I understand from some shore talk that the sunshine causes local algae bloom that reduces visibility sometimes. Just can't seem to have it all--either the sun is shining and it is a great day for diving, or the tides are wrong, or the visibility stinks. I guess it gives us all something to gripe about here. :)
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Viz today at EUP this afternoon was just around 5 fsw, at best. I was doing my regular afternoon jog and talked to a few friends that just got out of the water and they said it really "sucked".
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

sarinae wrote:Cool, Jim! I hope your Sunday dive is not cancelled though, it sounds super fun for those with sufficient skills. I'm not there yet and wouldn't want to bring down the group.

What do you think for location, based on the fact that seattlepaul1975 needs to work on some trim issues with equipment? I always have issues, so just ignore me. :) Not sure if the sun this week will mess up our viz. It isn't much fun to dive when it's <5, but I'm still willing to go out if it will be helpful to someone else.

I am hopeful that the large morning exchange with the negative low tide will wash away some of the crap, anyone know? No worries, seattlepaul1975, I think it should be ok in the afternoon. Major issue will be the viz. I understand from some shore talk that the sunshine causes local algae bloom that reduces visibility sometimes. Just can't seem to have it all--either the sun is shining and it is a great day for diving, or the tides are wrong, or the visibility stinks. I guess it gives us all something to gripe about here. :)
I am open to push it out...the club dive is next weekend...was hoping to get a couple of dives before that....I am good to try it out on Saturday and see how it goes but if it is going to be 5fsw not sure it will be worth it.

Thoughts from you or others? I just want to be back in the water and get used to the gear....but not sure it makes sense with low viz?
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Up to you, even in low viz I have some trim things I want to work on too, so it is all good. We could gear up and meet and then decide to bag it if things just look too miserable out there. In the meantime, I hope that someone will post this week regarding how it looks out there. I'll keep an eye out and see what it looks like on Friday/Sat morning. I found a FB group that posts regularly re: local viz. https://www.facebook.com/PNW.Visibility.Report
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

I am up for it.
Which site do we want to do?
My top 3 in order would be alki, T-Doc, Edmunds.

I put Alki first just for lack of swim needed. Figure if the Viz is bad we can not have the swim as well :-)
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

I like Alki for Saturday, the only problem I anticipate would be parking on a sunny day. Easy entry, lots of stuff to see and do, and if one cove is busy we can always wander to one of the others. Are you liking cove 2 then, or some other site? I'll wander down to the water in Edmonds if I can tomorrow and see how it is looking. It can change hourly though, so I am not too worried about it. Edmonds and Mukilteo seem to be in the same tidal wash, so conditions are usually fairly similar as far as I understand.

What time do you want to meet? If we post it here, other folks may jump on board with us.

I drive a silvery toyota sienna minivan. Cell is 206 427 6998 if anyone needs to reach me!
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

I was wondering if y'all mind me jumping on board with this? I have done quite a few dives at redondo as I go solo if I can't find a partner and I don't like going solo in unfamiliar places. Regardless of where it is, I haven't splashed for over a year. I just got back from afghanistan and got my gear back from tacoma scuba from being serviced yesterday so I'm in need of a buddy for a few dives. My wife has some party thing going on on saturday that I need to drive her home from but I think that will be late evening so hopefully it wont conflict.
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

The more, the merrier! Welcome back home, Wagon173, we look forward to meeting you. I've put in 5 tanks at Alki this last month, feeling fairly comfortable with conditions and sites out there, I am sure you'll find some reasons to keep diving. If you're free on Sunday I am taking a newly cert'd buddy out to EUWP with a 1:30 splash 1. I'm liking cove 2 if we can find parking, just look for the short overweight 39+ gal, that's me!