Hydro and Vis's

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Daniel379ba
Avid Diver

Hydro and Vis's

Post by Daniel379ba »

If I needed to get a hydro and a vis *(basically a complete check out of them) for two 72 tanks where would be the best place to go for price/Is there anyone on the forum here that would be willing to do it for a good price?

Thanks!
I was born in the water and love being in it.
Its a natural feeling.
(If anyone wants to dive with me voice up, I'm good Tuesday-Thur 3:00+
Monday and Fridays 3-7, Saturdays = Full day or not at all, Sun = 12:00+ )
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Hydro and Vis's

Post by CaptnJack »

You need to get them hydroed at a DOT authorized facility. Underwater Sports or Fire King in Seattle take a good chunk of the scuba cylinders.
Your LDS can arrange for hydro or you can take it yourself for a little less.

Just get the VIS done at your LDS since they may or may not accept another Vis sticker (its their compressor they can make up whatever rules about this they want)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Daniel379ba
Avid Diver

Post by Daniel379ba »

Thanks!
I was born in the water and love being in it.
Its a natural feeling.
(If anyone wants to dive with me voice up, I'm good Tuesday-Thur 3:00+
Monday and Fridays 3-7, Saturdays = Full day or not at all, Sun = 12:00+ )
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Since you live in Shoreline, Fire King in Seattle is probably your best bet. I don't know how much they charge though. I know UW Sports does their own hydro testing. Lighthouse diving sends them to AAA in Everett when they have a lot of tanks to work. All my HP tanks get their Hydro testing at AAA of Everett Fire Extinguisher Company. They charge $26.00/tank for a hydro test. Lighthouse and UW sports, I believe, charges somewhere around $40.00/tank for a hydro test.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

coulterboy wrote: Lighthouse and UW sports, I believe, charges somewhere around $40.00/tank for a hydro test.
Sounds a little high, I think its $35 here in Bremerton, but also includes VIP and the air fill. If Daniel only has 2 tanks and needs a VIP and a fill anyway, driving to multiple places starts to become less and less worthwhile.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

CaptnJack wrote:
coulterboy wrote: Lighthouse and UW sports, I believe, charges somewhere around $40.00/tank for a hydro test.
Sounds a little high, I think its $35 here in Bremerton, but also includes VIP and the air fill. If Daniel only has 2 tanks and needs a VIP and a fill anyway, driving to multiple places starts to become less and less worthwhile.
Exactly, and $40.00 doesn't include the air fill. That's why I chose to go a little bit far north and got it done at $26.00/per tank, still no air fill though.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Fire King charged me like $31 for my last hydro, after tax.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:Fire King charged me like $31 for my last hydro, after tax.
That's why I just go here, even though I don't need their VIPs and don't even bring in the valves so they can't fill mine afterwards. Not worth the gas to get to fire king to save $4
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

CaptnJack wrote:
That's why I just go here, even though I don't need their VIPs and don't even bring in the valves so they can't fill mine afterwards. Not worth the gas to get to fire king to save $4
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting it in order to sell it to you (or anyone). Just trying to provide the OP and anyone else who may be looking with some info on price
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting it in order to sell it to you (or anyone). Just trying to provide the OP and anyone else who may be looking with some info on price
Yeah unfortunately the small differences in price are rapidly eclipsed by the cost of gas in the truck. But $40 + the cost to fill at UWS is ummmm "non-competitive" considering the other places nearby.
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

You should also ask. Do they rebuild the valve as part of the Vis? Some do some don't. This can effect the final cost.