WDFW GPO Harvesting Update - 5/15

General banter about diving and why we love it.
KneeDeep
Submariner

WDFW GPO Harvesting Update - 5/15

Post by KneeDeep »

Just thought I would pass along an email I received from Rhoda Green, who is on this committee. Which I feel could really use our support after the recent events.
Rhoda Green wrote: Dear Diver and Marine Enthusiasts

Last year, as many of you know an adult octopus was harvested at one of our local dive sites - Seacrest Park. There was an outcry to protect the Giant Pacific Octopus. Over 500 people signed a petition to protect the GPO. This petition was brought to Olympia before the WDFW commissions requesting the GPO be better protected. Such a critical mass of people made a difference which brought the issue of octopus protection to the table for the commissioners to make a decision. The commissioners, with the assistance of the Ad Hoc Committee have formulated 4 recommendations for the fate of GPO. Now the commissions want to hear from the PUBLIC, THAT IS YOU! And I stress THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE AND THEIR SUGGESTIONS WILL DESIGN THE FATE OF THE GPO . THE PUBLIC, THAT IS YOU!
Here is the WDFW link to put your comments: http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/octopus/

For those of you that have sent in your comments, thank you! Your opinions, suggestions, recommendations, feelings have made a tremendous difference! Unfortunately, now too few people sent in their comments to WDFW compared to the overwhelming response that went viral though out Washington and around the world. Now is the time for you to make your voices heard. This is your right to express what you believe in regarding the fate of the Giant Pacific Octopus in our waters.

Some Background: The commission charged the AHC to discuss and make recommendations in regards to the fate of GPO and what is best for the dive sites, such as possible complete closure of all species harvest. Below is straight from the WDFW website on GPO. As a member of the AHC, I will comment in a different font and color in regards to how we decided on the recommend sites and prevailing comments from the public in support of the various positions.

Rulemaking Process The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is seeking public comments on options for extending greater protection to giant Pacific octopuses in Puget Sound. Under current state rules, anyone with a valid state fishing license can harvest one giant Pacific octopus per day in most areas of Puget Sound. The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission, which sets policy for WDFW, called for a review of those rules after the legal harvest of a giant Pacific octopus near Alki Point in Seattle sparked a public outcry last November. The commission received three petitions signed by hundreds of scuba divers and other members of the public seeking protection for octopuses from recreational harvest. Working in conjunction with a 12-member citizen advisory group, WDFW developed four options outlining possible changes in the rules governing the harvest of giant Pacific octopuses in Puget Sound. They include:

Option A:Status Quo - no changes to current regulations
Divers, non divers and hunters think it is only a small special interest group wanting to close areas from harvesting GPO because they enjoy GPO experience. There is no scientific basis that requires GPO protection. Indirect data suggest Washington waters can not support a GPO fishery meaning commercial harvesting. Thus GPO is listed for harvest only as a recreational sport activity with guidelines. Hunters pay for a license to hunt and should not be hindered. The AHC refuted recommended Status Quo.

Option B: Marine Preserve – no recreational harvest of all species
Redondo Beach (map)
Seacrest Park Coves 1, 2 and 3 (excluding fishing pier) (map)
WDFW commission directed The AHC to view our position with an overall view looking at the big picture of the marine life, allowing us to decide if a site is worthy of a ‘no harvest of all species zone’. The committee recommended these two sites as major dive training hubs that would most benefit diversity of marine life viewing. This is thought to be the primary reason and the growing norm of people diving in Washington . For example, personally, now that Lingcod and a occasional Kelp Greenling or Cabezon come to Seacrest I hate to see someone spearfish them. If you think other sites should be added to this list please note it in your comments.

*Option C:Marine Preserves – no recreational harvest of Giant Pacific Octopuses
Redondo Beach (map)
Three Tree Point North (map)
Seacrest Park Coves 1, 2 and 3 (excluding fishing pier) (map)
Les Davis (map)
Alki Beach Junk Yard (map)
Days Island Wall (map)
Deception Pass (map)
These sites were chosen from REEF data base as popular dive sites with the most likelihood of seeing GPO and selected by the AHC. Some members of the AHC think either more or less sites should be list. Also suggestions wanting site representation of regional sites were; Norranders Reef, Hudson Point, Salt Creek, Bell Island, Mukilteo, Seahurst and many others. The exact boundaries are still being clarified. If you think any sites should be on this list please note it in your comments. These sites also provide marine corridors allowing safe areas where GPO can travel and reproduce.

Option D: Puget Sound closure to recreational harvest of Giant Pacific Octopuses.
Octopus is an exotic food rarely seen on menus in Washington and found in specialty stores. People come here from all over the world to see and experience the live GPO in the wild. To watch it breath, chance colors, texture, express its moods, see its big suckers and its large eyes staring back at you. This creature arouses thoughts and emotions of amazement, and respect. People are in awe of its majestic encompassing abilities and its superior intellect. Yes, the octopus experience has transformed people’s thought process from octopus wrestling matches to people learning about octopus and caring for creatures in this world beyond themselves. People would rather have the living experience with the GPO as part of our quality of life here in the Great Northwest like the symbolic Orcas, Wolf Eels and Sixgill Sharks - wildlife icons of our waters. If no GPOs were harvested, natural predators would easily keep them in balance and maybe even invite more Sixgills into our waters.

*The beaches listed under Option C were identified by the advisory group as some of the most popular diving beaches in the Puget Sound area. Not included on that list are beaches in Conservation Areas or Marine Preserves, where octopuses are already off-limits to harvest.
Although all MPAs now protect GPOs, MPAs that divers frequent are: All of Hood Canal, Keystone, Colvos Passage (Sunrise dive area), Brackett’s landing(EUWPor BHUT) Salt Water State Park, Titlow, Z’s Reef, Admiralty Head, Richey Viewpoint aka Alki Pipeline but only the beach to the low intertidal zone. The rest of the subtidal pipeline is not protected.

The last Public Meeting will be in Olympia before the commissioners. The exact date isn’t set; however, they are thinking June 6 or 7.The department also invites written comments submitted online through May 31.

http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/octopus/

Before, you sent your comments to me and I voiced them at the AHC meeting. Now you need to submit them online! Also pass this link on and get more people to comment!Fritz Glad you made it to Olympia!

Sincerely,
Rhoda

The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: WDFW GPO Harvesting Update - 5/15

Post by Grateful Diver »

I attended the last meeting of this committee, which occurred a week ago. For anyone interested, the public is invited to attend, and time is given at the end of the meeting for public comment on the items under discussion. For those who have questions, concerns, or interest, I'd encourage participation by attending the next meeting.

One thing that hit home is that, while the petitions that circulated in November received more than 5,000 signatures in a matter of a couple of days, it seems like there hasn't been a lot of participation in the online comments at the WDFW website. If you're inclined to have an opinion on this process, or on the options, I'd encourage you to log on to the WDFW website and leave a comment. The Ad Hoc Committee has a fairly balanced representation of pretty much all sides on this topic, but they could use some more public input to better gauge their recommendations to the commission.

I thought the discussion was pretty well balanced, and thoughtful ... I think all sides are being represented fairly on the committee. I went because I had some questions about how some of the options came about. What I came away with is that they represent data points on a spectrum of issues ... not just protection, but interests, enforceability, cost, and many other considerations that play against each other. One thing is clear is that none of these options are easy decisions, and all of them come with advantages and drawbacks. I thought the committee did a pretty good job of looking at the advantages and drawbacks, and each option has its "champions" on the committee.

To my concern, the WDFW did a good job of picking people who would represent multiple perspectives on the issue and make a sincere effort to be as fair to all sides as is possible.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Here's the link to the WDFW page with the information about the options, and the comment link: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/octopus/
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I agree with Bob. During the heat of the moment and social/internet outrage there was a lot of interest. That always settles down after the 'fun'. Now the REAL work is being done. It's slow and tedious committee work. People quickly fade away if not outright avoid it like the plague.

WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW ARE THE DECISIONS THAT ACTUALLY MATTER. The previous furor counts, but not nearly as much as diver input NOW.

This IS your opportunity to be heard. The site Lynn posted to is simple, easy, and your input can take as little as one minute or a considered message might take ten.
The folks that agreed to be on this committee are providing a lot of work and effort at their own expense for the good of the dive community. :joshsmith: Help them out. :supz:

Fritz Merkel
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The original incident went viral because it got spread on social media -- so I have put this link on my FB feed, so that all my contacts will see it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Will the WDFW listen to Oregon residents input as well?
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I just submitted my comments and my ID was #321. Does that mean there have been only 321 comments?

LowDrag, If you dive in Puget Sound then your comments are relevent. I live in Puerto Rico but I come back to dive Puget Sound every year. Traveling divers comments may even hold more weight.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Traveling diver input is important. It's known that tourist dollars feed the economy. Politicians pay attention to that.
Often the signature critter traveling divers want to see is a GPO. The one place that had a very good chance of finding one without worrying about current and timing with full facilities is Cove 2.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Jeff Kruse wrote:I just submitted my comments and my ID was #321. Does that mean there have been only 321 comments?...
I think the ID numbers are indeed sequential. My first comment several weeks ago was something like 71. I commented again a couple of days ago and my ID number was just below 300. Sure would be nice to get that number to top 1,000. Only 14 days left!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Jeff Kruse wrote:I just submitted my comments and my ID was #321. Does that mean there have been only 321 comments?
That's three times the number of comments they had nine days ago when the meeting was held ... so while it is a small number compared to the number of signatures on the petitions, it means more people are getting the message that their input is important.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Jeff Kruse wrote:I just submitted my comments and my ID was #321. Does that mean there have been only 321 comments?
That's three times the number of comments they had nine days ago when the meeting was held ... so while it is a small number compared to the number of signatures on the petitions, it means more people are getting the message that their input is important.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob is so right that our comments are important. The WDFW does listen and they are trying to do the right thing. Years ago my wife and her dive buddy were able to get the harvest of wolfeel closed. Then came the 6 gill massacre at cove two 13 years ago. It only took a few respectful letters to get that closed. Then it was Rob and I who petitioned to keep shrimping open for divers at Mukilteo when it was inadvertently closed to us. The WDFW worked with us and quickly corrected the mistake.

I asked for option B for this issue and would like to see more done like option C. Un Poco y poco.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

I think the lack of responses is due to the poorly drafted choices. IMO, there is no "right choice". The options have FAR outreached the original intent of protecting Cove 2 from Oct harvesting. However, now that it includes so many other things, species, and places, the only choice that makes any logical sense to me is option A.

Too bad really. I would have loved to see them stay focused and just protect the coves.
SeaDNA
Just Settling In

Post by SeaDNA »

They discussed this issue at last Friday's WDFW commission meeting.