Octopus Gardens is Awesome

General banter about diving and why we love it.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Octopus Gardens is Awesome

Post by fishb0y »

Just when I was thinking that customer service was a 4-letter word for dive shops on or near the Kitsap Peninsula... after the dives on Saturday, one of my buddy's regulators, recently overhauled at a local Kitsap dive shop, was having a free flow issue. This would be the 3rd or 4th regulator that I have seen do this since getting serviced there. Luckily for us, we were in Port Townsend near Octopus Gardens Diving. Not only did Don look at the regulator serviced from another shop, but with a busy store he tuned up the reg to factory standards! THANKS and AWESOME JOB!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Octopus Gardens is Awesome

Post by Grateful Diver »

fishb0y wrote:Just when I was thinking that customer service was a 4-letter word for dive shops on or near the Kitsap Peninsula... after the dives on Saturday, one of my buddy's regulators, recently overhauled at a local Kitsap dive shop, was having a free flow issue. This would be the 3rd or 4th regulator that I have seen do this since getting serviced there. Luckily for us, we were in Port Townsend near Octopus Gardens Diving. Not only did Don look at the regulator serviced from another shop, but with a busy store he tuned up the reg to factory standards! THANKS and AWESOME JOB!
... was that you came in on Saturday with the MK25/S600?

I was in there at the time, dropping off a reg.

Don's like that ... it's the reason why the shop's crowded ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

That's cool that he did that for you. Sounds like someone who understands the meaning of customer service. That is awesome. If they have a website can you post the URL so I can check it out please? I am going to be up there this summer and would like to know where a good shop is at.

Thanks,
Dave
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Don is hands down the best reg tech in the NW! :joshsmith: :supz: I've been doing my own regs for years and Don will actually give me information.

On another note-FF (slow bubbling leak usually) soon after a fresh OH is not that uncommon. If the tech tunes it so it cracks mega-easily the customer will be happy, right?
Then while sitting the next couple weeks the 2nd stage poppet valves takes a tiny bit of set effectively making the sealing surfaces leak. :neener: :eek: :angry:
It's a very easy fix with a couple tools even at the dive site, IF you know how to do it. :angelblue:
Of course most shops won't show you how. :nutty: You might kill yourself.

That problem is entirely different from a first stage over pressure problem. It that's an issue the dive is over until that is fixed. For the technically minded it's a good idea to have an intermediate pressure gauge in the save a dive kit to check.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

That was us, we walked in just as Don was opening his door. I wasn't able to dive due a dead battery in my Shearwater. I'm sure that will be another post once I get that fixed.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Talk about timing. This thread is posted and then I take a buddies reg's to the shop and find out they ship out customer reg's to Don. This is good to hear that everybody thinks so highly of his quality of work.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

LowDrag wrote:Talk about timing. This thread is posted and then I take a buddies reg's to the shop and find out they ship out customer reg's to Don. This is good to hear that everybody thinks so highly of his quality of work.
As said earler Don is the best tec around. A lot of the shops in the northwest send him heir regs. His equipment is state of the art and he doesn't take any shortcuts. IF he does it it's right. :partydance:
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

After doing the math...my buddy figures that he will just buy new reg's this time around considering his are 25+ year old US Diver regs. He doesn't even use a computer...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LowDrag wrote:After doing the math...my buddy figures that he will just buy new reg's this time around considering his are 25+ year old US Diver regs. He doesn't even use a computer...
Really? Seems like a waste of some perfectly good regs.

(I've been sending my stuff to Don for almost 10 years, always very happy with his service)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

CaptnJack wrote:
LowDrag wrote:After doing the math...my buddy figures that he will just buy new reg's this time around considering his are 25+ year old US Diver regs. He doesn't even use a computer...
Really? Seems like a waste of some perfectly good regs.

(I've been sending my stuff to Don for almost 10 years, always very happy with his service)
You should see these things. They are clunky and heavy. Both sets together must way close to 6 lbs. He doesn't need to add extra using those things. LOL!!!

My buddy is not doubting Don's abilities in any way shape or form. He is just thinking it is time for an upgrade.

Oh and one other thing to add...my buddy has 2 first stage reg's and 5 second stage reg's so it is adding up quick. $25/stage for labor, $32 - $37 for first stage parts, $12 - $15 for second stage parts and shipping to and from.

60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

LowDrag wrote:$25/stage for labor, $32 - $37 for first stage parts, $12 - $15 for second stage parts and shipping to and from.
That's actually reasonable compared to how much I've paid elsewhere.

That said, the cost of servicing (anywhere) is getting to the point that I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense just to buy new regs. Either that, or get the training to do it myself (preferred).
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Can anyone give me Don's number? I would like to call him and talk to him about getting my reg's serviced. Thanks
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

60south wrote:
LowDrag wrote:$25/stage for labor, $32 - $37 for first stage parts, $12 - $15 for second stage parts and shipping to and from.
That's actually reasonable compared to how much I've paid elsewhere.

That said, the cost of servicing (anywhere) is getting to the point that I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense just to buy new regs. Either that, or get the training to do it myself (preferred).
Just dive them until they leak. "Annual" service is completely unnecessary.

http://www.octopusgardensdiving.com/contact.aspx
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Thanks Cap. I called Don today and got all the answers I needed. When my reg's need servicing I will definitely go thru him.
JasonDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JasonDiver »

I also see that Octopus Gardens offers a "free regulator check anytime."
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

another +1 for Don. Needed a reg serviced so i sent it in and he turned it around super fast and had it shipped back to me before I had even sent him payment. Good guy and great service.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer