Path report back; yes it was cancer.

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Path report back; yes it was cancer.

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

The final pathology report came back and it was not one, but two types of cancer in her thyroid tumor. The first, larger one is Hurthle cell, which is difficult to detect in the frozen section; and the second one is papillary, but was only 4mm so the frozen section didn't go through it.

Likely from here is another surgery to remove the rest of her thyroid, a dose of I-131, then hormone for the rest of her life.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Path report back; yes it was cancer.

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow, Sorry to hear that. Hope they get it all and that's the worst of it. We will say a prayer tonight.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that, but glad to hear that it is treatable. A lifetime of hormones is better than the alternative! Sending good juju your way.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

This is going to be a challenging road for both of you. I, too, will offer my prayers. On an encouraging note, my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer 62 years ago. This was before radiation or chemo. My sister and I were taken into her hospital room to say goodbye. She went out to breakfast with her friends yesterday, and we are taking a walk together and going to lunch in an outdoor restaurant to enjoy the sunshine. Hang in there. A lot of life is ahead of you.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

In fact, the cure rate for carcinoma of the thyroid, except for anaplastic (which is luckily rare) is extremely good. Treatment, as outlined, involves removing the remaining thyroid and irradiating the area (very small amount of radiation, and usually well tolerated). Thyroid hormone replacement is effective, inexpensive and easy to titrate. It's never fun to be told you have cancer, but if you have to have it, thyroid cancer is a pretty good one to have.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

As someone who takes hormones every day...it's not so bad. Especially compared to the alternatives. Sending good thoughts to you and your family!
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

Yeah, I've been on Levothyroxine for over a decade - hereditary in my case. And both cancers are Stage 1, so the 5-year survival rates are essentially 100% for these kinds of tumors.

Could be a lot worse!