Warm water diving weighting

General banter about diving and why we love it.
winte.r
Avid Diver

Warm water diving weighting

Post by winte.r »

Searching randomly on the internet for this kind of thing frustrates me after about 5 minutes. I figure it's smarter to just ask people with experience doing it.

Taking a trip to Hawaii and I don't know whether to bring the Tusa non-integrated jacket I bought with the trip in mind or my Zeagle Ranger. I dive 20 pounds of lead in my Ranger w/a 6mm drysuit and HP100 but I have no idea how much weight I'd need for an AL80 w/a 13cu pony wearing a 3/2 full-body wetsuit. I really don't want to rent anything but tanks when I'm there, but I've only got an 8-pound soft belt (and heavier) or I could bring a variety of bagged weights and my Ranger. If it helps I'm 5'8 170 w/15% body fat
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Warm water diving weighting

Post by CaptnJack »

Rent lead and do a weight check at the end of the first dive. Bringing lead on a plane is just unnecessary and a waste of effort. I would bring the lighter of the 2 BCs, I'm guessing the Tusa since Ranger's are not lightweights.

As a starting point on dive 1, I would guess 12lbs would be in the ball park.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Last summer in Maui we rented tanks and weight for the week, it was about 40 dollars. We then paid about 3 dollars a fill. As for how much weight, do a check but I bet you will be about 8 pounds.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Typically in a vacation location when you rent tanks it's a "tanks and weights" type of package. bringing lead on a vacation would be a PIA.

So when I'm wearing my 4/3 wetsuit and a jacket BC I'll usually start with 14 lbs on the first dive and dial it down to either 10 or 12. That's me though - What you'll need could be completely different.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

When I was in Kauaii, I used my 5.5 lb stainless backplate with another 4 lbs of lead to make sure I could hold my stop. I was wearing a 3/2 full suit and renting an Alu 80. I'm 6'-1" and 200 lbs.
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

I should have been a little clearer, I possess some storage over there, and the weights and bcd I bring with me are going to become permanent residents. I've got an 8# belt, 2 12#'s, and a 30# doing nothing but taking up garage space. I figured it would be appropriate to take one or more as super heavy carry on. I forgot it's actually a Zeagle Concept that I'm considering taking, it's very ranger'ish though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I would guess that the 12# belt would be good with a 3-5mm wetsuit. Also, if you have someone on that end to receive a package, a USPS flat rate priority box might be worth it to avoid lugging around your lead.
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

Thanks for all the help, I ended up bringing a 12 pound belt. The shop I rented out of, Kona Honu Divers, only has those weird 3300 PSI neutral AL80's, I ran one down to 500 pounds in 8 feet of water just for fun, stayed down no problem but they are a brick out of the water. Great shop by the way, $100 for 20 fills including tanks(2 out at a time) and friendly staff.