Sekiu Jetty - 8-12-2013

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Sekiu Jetty - 8-12-2013

Post by Tom Nic »

I finally got to dive this site for the first time this week. In spite of being close several times while diving off Lujac's in Neah Bay I had never worked up the energy to go down and do the dive - mainly because I was tired after diving Neah's 'big water'.

I should have done it sooner!

To call this site Sekiu Jetty is really a bit of a misnomer, because you don't really dive the jetty proper (although I'm sure you could, and no doubt some have) but rather you go in to the left of the jetty. There is an old ramp that you can walk down going to the beach and it is an easy walk to the water. For some reason the sand / pebbles on the beach are extremely "loose" and you sink 6 inches to a foot with each step when you are by or near the water. It is a bit of a pain, but once you adjust for it not a problem.

Fin up and surface swim along the kelp as far as you want and then drop. It doesn't really matter where - you will need a shovel to get much beyond 30 fsw on a high tide.

As I was waiting for my buddies I was tallying species while floating on the surface. There were "walls" of Sandlance, Shiner Perch, and I found two Manacled Sculpin in the kelp - a real treat as I don't often get to see them.

I did this dive at low slack - not ideal. High slack is the best simply because of the depth of the site. I poked along the kelp then allowed the gentle current to pull me toward the Pacific a bit. There is about an acre or two of good sized boulders in the sand and the life around them is a delight. The rocks and kelp are thick with life - all that is necessary is patience to poke into nooks and crannies.

Seventy minutes a still a half tank full later I drug myself away from the rocky reef babbling to myself (as I tend to do after an awesome dive) determined to come back and dive it again.

If you are out Neah Bay way don't miss this site!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Sekiu Jetty - 8-12-2013

Post by Jan K »

Nice pics Tom, it proves, you don't have to go deep to find treasures :)
And thanks for the report, one of these days I would like to see it myself
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Nice report. I also did this site a few weeks ago for the first time. Skipped the jetty and did the boulders like you.

Wow!! Every boulder I would brush away the kelp and see Picasso like color everywhere! Extraordinary.

The guy running the dive shop there was a hoot too.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Awesome! Lovin' that first photo especially.
Good info. Haven't been out there in years, didn't know about the boulders, I only knew about the island.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

The Fischnaller book has a funny description of the boulders...

"Sometimes you may see 21 boulders, other times you may see 15..."

lol
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

On my bucket list. You sure got some nice photos, especially the little mosshead. Are you enjoying the camera?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jan K wrote:Nice pics Tom, it proves, you don't have to go deep to find treasures :)
And thanks for the report, one of these days I would like to see it myself
Thanks Jan! And no, you do not have to go deep, and at many of these sites it's just not possible!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

LCF wrote:On my bucket list. You sure got some nice photos, especially the little mosshead. Are you enjoying the camera?
Thanks Lynne - I am having a love / hate relationship with the camera, although to be fair it is more me learning how to use it than the camera itself. Every dive is another learning experience, but my quality of pics isn't going up as fast as I'd like!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

YellowEye wrote: ...I only knew about the island.
Thanks Eric - what Island? There is no island at Sekiu that I know of?!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Tom Nic wrote:
Island.... err, uh, the rocks sticking up out of the water at low tide?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

YellowEye wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:
And of course these can vary between 15 and 21 depending on the tide
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

YellowEye wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:
Yep! Rocks sticking up out of the water! :)
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Dont bother diving the Jetty. It is shallow and nothing but sandy bottom. No life to see.

I also dove south of the Jetty near one of the buoys in Clallam bay. I was looking for crab. No crab to be seen but lots of geoducks. The bottom in the bay is around 30-40 ft. There are random boulders and lots of leafy kelp.

When i dove the kelp forest just north of the jetty i was on half a tank. I went deep in the kelp. the main boulder/rock forms almost a cave which was neat. Lots of surge the day i was in there which made for a strange feeling. Definitely the place to dive is the outside of the kelp, not deep inside.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

The best place to dive at Sekiu is Hoko reef. It's 3.5 miles west of Sekiu. It has neat topography with GPO and Wolfies.
The top is at about 35 feet with 5 deep channels radiating from a center. Since it's 1300 feet from shore it might be OK by DPV if there's access but it's best to do by boat from Sekiu.
Current can be too much to swim against above the channels.