diveclubs

General banter about diving and why we love it.
g&d0221
Just Settling In

diveclubs

Post by g&d0221 »

Hello I was wondering if there were any dive clubs for younger people? My son is about to take his open water course and was wanting to know if there were any clubs with divers his own age? He is 16 and I think it would be good for him to socalize with divers around his age bracket and not with his parents dive club members that can go out afterwards and have some suds.

Thanks for your help.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: diveclubs

Post by Norris »

Ya know I am not sure of any clubs that cater to teens, but I think there should be! Maybe your son would like to spearhead something like this?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I'm not aware of any youth oriented dive clubs. I know a few people who have tried to revive a Husky scuba club but am not sure that they have been successful. I wouldn't consider a lack of youth oriented clubs a bad thing, I think I benefited quite a bit from the age integrated competitive sailing I enjoyed as an adolescent. IMHO there is quite a difference between activities that are adult-centric and hanging out with the friends of one's parents.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I have encountered the Boy Scouts doing group dives several times. I know one reg tech who provides them with rebuilt regs to help get them started.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.