Humpies & Viz - Three Tree North 9-12

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Humpies & Viz - Three Tree North 9-12

Post by Tom Nic »

I was forced to open my dive log after a search through my aging memory banks failed to produce a satisfactory answer - “Just how long has it been since I did a dive at Three Tree?!” I was embarrassed to find out that the last time I dove my local “go to” favorite dive site was March of this year. Yikes!! Had to do something about that.

After putting out the call for dive buddies me and my buddy Al wandered off to Three Tree for a Thursday dive, basking in the glow of a September Sun. A few cars in the “parking lot” got my hopes up that a fellow diver might be there, but alas, “only” fishermen. The beach was still “marked off” from the apparent (so I had heard, anyway) altercation that had gone on with a resident fighting off the invasion of Humpy seekers from “their beach”. Sticks were in plain sight marking off acceptable territory, and the fishermen were complying – if not the beach hikers.

The fishermen were pleasant, and I struck up a conversation and was asked the typical questions about what I see down there and bottom topography. I told them that I would go in to the South of them, then work my way back roughly parallel with them and would then work my way back South and come shallow well away from where they were whipping the water into a froth in their quest for the remnant of the Humpy run. All seemed to be understood and appreciated.

Then I threw in the most important piece of the conversation - “Say, if you see any bubbles out there, that is most likely going to be me, since fish don't have lungs and don't breathe air the way we do.” **GRIN** :) (Gotta do this without insulting anyone!!!) :calvin:

“Oh yeah, that's right!” was the quick reply, and we all chuckled and I walked away hoping that I had contributed to good will in general and my own underwater safety in particular by an attempt at being civil.

I quickly geared up, walked down the beach past the intrepid anglers, and sighed contentedly as I dipped into the wonderfully cool water to counteract the baking effects of the rare PNW sunshine. As I put my fins on I had to do a double take – I could see at least 40' in the shallows!! The drop off was clearly visible from 5' of water.

I eagerly kicked out towards the buoy. A quick peek every now and then let me know that it was still holding! In the past I had been disappointed when I had seen the viz be great in the shallows and then go to crap as soon as we got deeper, so my glances downward were reassuring, and I was getting more and more excited!

On one of my downward glances I spotted a Humpy carcass being biodegraded by two Red Rock crab, so I dropped to take a few shots. After taking pics of the feasting Red Rocks from a couple of angles I continued on down slope and began to drift toward the Cabin Cruiser. The current was heading slightly South – a little strange for this site, but not unheard of. The Cabin Cruiser quickly came into view and I started snapping happily away.

After 10-15 minutes something didn't seem quite right, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I stopped and thought for a second, and then realized - “I haven't turned my light on yet!” Wow. Now that is a sunny day and great viz when you can start your dive, be at 70 fsw, and have forgotten to turn your light on!

I spent 15 minutes or so on the Cruiser and then turned north, happily reacquainting myself with all the familiar denizens of this dive site. The viz made navigation absolutely unnecessary and I simply went from photo op to photo op.

64 minutes later I surfaced just South of the knot of determined Humpy seekers, stepping into the gloriously sunny September day – fabulous dive!

Three Tree is generally 5-15' better viz wise than most sites in the South Sound, so if you are hankering for some better viz and don't mind chatting with a couple fishermen, go for it!

Perhaps a few pics later... thanks for reading.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Humpies & Viz - Three Tree North 9-12

Post by Gdog »

Awesome report. Looking forward to the photos!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Hot damn, I'll be there Saturday at 4 with my dive buddy!!!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What's a humpy?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

LCF wrote:What's a humpy?
A pink salmon, or humpback, Onchorynchus gorbuscha.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

oldsalt wrote:
LCF wrote:What's a humpy?
A pink salmon, or humpback, Onchorynchus gorbuscha.
-Curt
Let's see if I can remember this right...

The Five Major species - (Add "Salmon" at the end of each if you would)

*King, Tyee, Chinook
*Silver, Coho,
*Humpback, Pink, (or Slimers as we called them in Alaska)
*Sockeye, Red
*Chum, Dog

I used to get SO confused back in the day, and I'm betting I forgot a couple names....
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

See any pinks that *weren't* being biodegraded? :burntchef:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

RoxnDox wrote:See any pinks that *weren't* being biodegraded? :burntchef:

Jim
Nope!

But one was caught while I was underwater!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Here's a few shots I liked.

I wonder how many different critters I have photographed in this empty Giant Acorn Barnacle shell? I couldn't get the angle and lighting right on this, but it is still a cool shot.

It is always fun if you can get these guys to pose!

And for now, you can usually find at least one Red Irish Lord on the cabin cruiser if you poke around long enough.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Managed to catch the "three stooges" on the roof of the cruiser.

I'm starting to get a little better at the medium range shots, even though I really need more strobe power. Lots of cool shots to be had if you take your time and poke around.

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Tom Nic wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:See any pinks that *weren't* being biodegraded? :burntchef:

Jim
Nope!

But one was caught while I was underwater!

Looks like a nice clean filet job... And the crabs sure enjoyed the meal, looks like!

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Wow, you are ROCKING that camera!

The kelp greenling shot is fabulous, because I know how skittish those girls are, and the Three Stooges shot is priceless.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

LCF wrote:Wow, you are ROCKING that camera!
The kelp greenling shot is fabulous, because I know how skittish those girls are, and the Three Stooges shot is priceless.
+1
Could not say it better. Tom, you are on the run ! Don't stop now. :supz:
Looking forward the next installment.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Nice report ... damn fine photography. Thanks Tom ... I'd like to see more of these on NWDC ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Beautiful Tom, love the three stooges :)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

LCF wrote:Wow, you are ROCKING that camera!

Thanks Lynne! Isn't it great when the wildlife cooperates?!
Jan K wrote:+1
Could not say it better. Tom, you are on the run ! Don't stop now. :supz:
Looking forward the next installment.

Thanks Jan - See "Flood at Flagpole" for said "installment". :)
Grateful Diver wrote:Nice report ... damn fine photography. Thanks Tom ... I'd like to see more of these on NWDC ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
And thank you Bob - means a lot for you to say so. And I also would like to see more dive reports. Takes time to write them, but I sure love to read them when others have taken the time.
Scubie Doo wrote:Beautiful Tom, love the three stooges :)
Thanks Jesse - wasn't that cool?! You dive for years and never see something and then, "bam!", it's right in front of you. If I had Jan's cartoon drawing skill I would draw a Larry Moe and Curley cartoon with the Rockfish, Buffalo, and Painted.