Thinking about moving to WA - where is the good diving?

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Re: Thinking about moving to WA - where is the good diving?

Post by eliseaboo »

GreatLakesWreckDiver wrote:Looks like I will be accepting an IT position at the hospital in Port Townsend. Family is pretty excited about the opportunity.
As a fellow Wisconsin native (from Madison) who lived in PT for a year...I am excited for you! There are some excellent divers in the area and you WILL enjoy the diving! Be sure to visit the marine center when it opens in the spring (diving below the pier is actually really good too) have a beer (or other beverage of choice) by the fireplace at Sirens, and take the ferry over to dive at Keystone when you can. Also, sunsets out there are beyond amazing - be sure to enjoy them! If (when) I make it back there, I'll have to look you up!

The Ranger is a wreck right off the dive shop. Nothing by Great Lakes standards of course, but it's a fun little swim with a good amount of life. And be prepared for winter there as well - they DO get snow on occasion (though it melts pretty quickly) but mostly it's drizzle, and a really damp cold (very different than the dry winter air in WI). Good waterproof clothing is a big help.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Post by GreatLakesWreckDiver »

eliseaboo wrote:As a fellow Wisconsin native (from Madison) who lived in PT for a year...I am excited for you! There are some excellent divers in the area and you WILL enjoy the diving! Be sure to visit the marine center when it opens in the spring (diving below the pier is actually really good too) have a beer (or other beverage of choice) by the fireplace at Sirens, and take the ferry over to dive at Keystone when you can. Also, sunsets out there are beyond amazing - be sure to enjoy them! If (when) I make it back there, I'll have to look you up!

The Ranger is a wreck right off the dive shop. Nothing by Great Lakes standards of course, but it's a fun little swim with a good amount of life. And be prepared for winter there as well - they DO get snow on occasion (though it melts pretty quickly) but mostly it's drizzle, and a really damp cold (very different than the dry winter air in WI). Good waterproof clothing is a big help.
Thanks for all the advice. So far we only had a long weekend out there...and got to experience some rain. We did say that a change of clothing will be required. Only waterproof gear I have is my motorcycling gear and my drysuit :) Think I would get some looks walking around with either of those.

The pier sounds like an awesome diving area for my son and I. Nice shore diving. He is going to love all the sea life we have been hearing about. Sure beats the occasional bluegill or bass swimming by.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

When you get out here drop me a note and I'll give you the deluxe tour of Point Hudson. IMHO the best dive site in the sound. Coming this time of year you will see the worst of the weather but the best of the viz so it ain't all bad. The biggest weather issue is the wind. Not much snow but lots of rain though you will find that it is not like the rains in Wisconsin. We very seldom get thunder storms and totals are generally around an inch or less. You will find that you get used to it after awhile.

Looking forward to meeting you and your family and showing you some of the secretes of PT.

If you are a beer drinker you will find a lot of micro breweries out here. There are two in PT. The port Townsend brewery and the the brew pub.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

Dusty2 wrote:When you get out here drop me a note and I'll give you the deluxe tour of Point Hudson.
Looking forward to meeting you and your family and showing you some of the secretes of PT.

If you are a beer drinker you will find a lot of micro breweries out here. There are two in PT. The port Townsend brewery and the the brew pub.
WOW! Everyone is so friendly. I love it! Thanks - I really appreciate it and will definitely take you up on the tour. Although I will be by myself for a while until our houses sell back in WI. Then my wife and son will move out.

Beer drinker...Wisconsin...I think those two words are basically synonymous :partyman: Of course my college days are long behind me, I still like to have a beer from time to time. You know - that brings up another point, do people drink brandy out there? I know they don't down south (well, not regular brandy that is - they drink blackberry or some flavored brandy).
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Friendly is pretty much a northwest diver thing. You will find that we are a very outgoing bunch that just love diving and pretty much accepts anyone that shares that passion. I figured that being from beer country there was a pretty good chance you would be a beer drinker. We have a lot of enthusiastic home brewers in our midst as well. As far as brandy is concerned :dontknow: maybe but I haven't heard any talk about liqueurs on the board. How soon are you heading our way? I'll be in PT for a week starting the 19th and there will be 5 or 6 days of good tides.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

oh yes, you can buy regular and other flavored brandy, but if you drink anything besides beer and wine, be prepared to pay dearly for it
It's a good day.... nobody died!
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

I'll be starting the new job 12/16. Probably won't be out much before.

I forgot about the liquor taxes out there. Might have to load up the trailer for the trip :) Actually I don't drink much. Just like a nip every now and then.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

As you look for housing, be mindful of the pulp mill SW of town. Not the stinkiest in WA but not exactly a desirable neighbor either.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
GreatLakesWreckDiver
Avid Diver

CaptnJack wrote:As you look for housing, be mindful of the pulp mill SW of town. Not the stinkiest in WA but not exactly a desirable neighbor either.
Understood. I grew up in a paper making town in northern WI. I am very used to it but I understand exactly what you mean. We did get the jist of it when we were out there. Really depended on the wind that day on where it would go.