Cavern Class

General topics about technical diving.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Johnny has an excellent reputation. I'm sure you'll have a great class.

Please post a report when you get back.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

One week from tomorrow (Tuesday) Wylerbear and I head to Florida for Cavern Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And DEMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :supz: \:D/

-Valerie
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Have a fantastic time, Valerie!

I'm leaving Thursday for Mexico, to do my cavern class. We'll have to compare notes!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

LCF wrote:Have a fantastic time, Valerie!

I'm leaving Thursday for Mexico, to do my cavern class. We'll have to compare notes!
Or, compare CEnotes....

(sorry, I couldn't resist...)

Have fun!

-Valerie
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Lynne and Valerie,

Have a great time with your Cavern Classes! I think my cavern class was really the most useful class that I ever took. I learned more in those few days of training than in any class I had taken up to that point.

Of course once the hook is set, you'll soon be planning your next adventure for some Cave Training... =D>
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Of course once the hook is set, you'll soon be planning your next adventure for some Cave Training... Applause
Already there . . . GUE Cave 1 is scheduled for the end of April!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I'm sure that's why the book I'm using includes the next levels as well, it's already teasing at me!

-Valerie
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Well, my flight leaves in 19 hours. CAVERNS!!! Here we come!

Look for a (hopefully) detailed trip report when we get back.

-Valerie \:D/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Have fun Val! Keep the reports coming and be safe! And take pictures!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, we're back from Mexico. We not only did cavern, but went on to Intro. We had a fantastic time. The classes weren't easy, and we didn't exactly breeze through, but things got better with each dive. I have detailed reports of each day in the cave diving forum of the Dive Matrix site (http://www.divematrix.com), and Peter has some good pictures up at http://www.tsandm.com/cave .

I would highly, highly recommend to anybody thinking about doing this, that they take GUE's Fundamentals class first. Having familiarity with the equipment, with the kicks and buoyancy and trim, and with the emergency procedures, made the cavern class MUCH easier than it would otherwise have been. Our third class member was really hampered, not only by diving equipment that was strange to him, but by not having done things like mask-off or blind swimming, or midwater air-sharing. We were in much better shape, because we were used to such things.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Congratulations and Welcome Back!!

Great photos too! Isn't the Cuzel fill station an amazing place, just out in the middle of the jungle? :salute:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yeah, it looks like a concrete pad where somebody's working on a bunch of radial engines. No sign, no marker -- just a dirt road winding off into the jungle. Your first navigational test as a cave diver is whether you can find the place again . . .

Scott, I hope we run into you some time down there. As I've said before, your pictures and reports were a bad (or maybe good) influence on me!
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

LCF wrote: Scott, I hope we run into you some time down there. As I've said before, your pictures and reports were a bad (or maybe good) influence on me!
Thank Lynne, that would be great fun! I'm headed back down there in four weeks.....

That will be my third trip to Mexico this year. Now if I can just remember to stop trying to order food in Spanish when I get home.... #-o