More than a hobby?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
jirraph
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

More than a hobby?

Post by jirraph »

I've recently experienced the awe of scuba and the excitement it gives! I would very much like to get my own equipment instead of just renting, but the initial investment is a limiting factor. Being a back-at-home college student, finishing school and getting out on my own is my top priority.

But the diving bug has already burrowed itself...

I can rationalize the expense if I were to see a return while using my gear. The best scenario would be for me to get paid to be in the water! Now, I don't know much about what the scuba workforce has to offer (at base level experience) except for ship cleaning, which I have little grief with; research may be another form, but I don't know of the degree qualifications/benchmarks (if any) that need to be met.

Does anybody here have experience with scuba employment? Is it suggested, hard to come by, or should it just be a hobby when there is adequate money?

I would be indebted to those that could at least point me in the right direction!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: More than a hobby?

Post by Jeff Pack »

Other than as a commercial diver, its a hobby.

Run, run fast, there's no rate of return, no ROI, or anything. :)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

In the recreational diving realm, around here, the only time you'll make any money at all is at the instructor level, and it isn't much.

I believe people sometimes do odd jobs like scrubbing hulls or changing zincs for boat folks, but it's a shady area, because if you are taking money for doing this, you're theoretically a commercial diver and subject to the regulations of that area.

You can, however, accumulate gear at very good prices if you haunt Craigslist and the classified ads on places like ScubaBoard and the Deco Stop. Ask for advice before you buy, though, because if you don't know what you're looking at, you can get hosed (like buying Dacor regs, for which there are no longer any parts).
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There's not much money in commercial diving either. And its not like looking at fishies and stuff, either.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Commercial diving is only the way to commute to work it is not the work in and of itself. Most commercial divers need a skill that people will pay them to perform underwater.

There are however a lot of skills that people will pay to have performed underwater. In most cases the diving is an auxiliary skill and duty of a job. In offshore construction working underwater can be a primary job. However schools like DIT in Seattle turn out hundreds of commercial divers a year. Most of those divers go to the offshore oil fields were they work as tenders for a few years before braking out as divers.

In recreational diving I find most people end up working to defray the cost of diving but not to make money. Most local dive instructors are part time and have other jobs to support their diving habits.

That said there are people out there happily making their living diving but they are not the norm.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I know a number of folks who make a living doing scientific type jobs that include some diving. WDFW, EPA, NOAA, Ecology, private sector, etc...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well I dont have any experience with scuba jobs, but IF I were to turn back the hands of time to when I was in my early 20's, I might just become a Dive Master/ Instructor and get all the technical training that would make it easy for me to live in some tropical area working at a dive shop. That is BEFORE the whole thing about marriage and responsibilities of being a full time parent would be a hindrance to that kind of life. :luv: I am sure there are PRO's and CON's to this idea but I can fantasize right? :nutty:
Jeff Castor
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

jirraph,

I think that everyone on the board has made some pretty solid points. When I first got back into diving in college I had a similar thought process. And now that I've been back at it for 4 years I can honestly tell you that diving isn't really the way to make money. But I can definitely give you some advice on finding killer deals on Craigslist.

I got all of my gear when I was in my final year in college and it was an intense financial hurdle. Getting brand new gear is definitely not cheap. If new is how you'd want to go then I suggest waiting for one of the dive events like DEMA or the Divers Fair in July put on by Underwater Sports. There's usually some good discounts on gear and you can get some great stuff. But if you're really just interested in getting into the water then talk to the folks here on the board. A lot of the folks have been diving for years and have extra bits of gear laying around that I'm sure they could and would sell you to help put together your first kit. And as some of the other said, diligently check Craigslist. There are several people that buy all the gear and go and get their certification only to find out on their 3rd and 4th dives that it's really not for them and will turn around and offload their gear. Right now I'd guess there are at least 10 people selling full sets ranging from $500-$3K+. And in some cases you can get it even cheaper. My wife was certified last October and we really wanted to get her some gear. I hunted daily and found the deal of a lifetime and only cost me the overhaul fees on the gear.

So if the scuba bug has bitten you and you want to get out, don't let the initial gear costs scare you away. Keep an eye out on Craigslist and come here to ask questions of myself and the others on the board. We'd love to help you get a setup and get you out into the waters.

Best of luck and we hope to see you in the water with us soon!

- Kyle Finnegan
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Like everyone has said, there isn't a lot of money in diving. What it IS, however, is a marketable job skill. Depending on your field, being even Open Water certified could set you aside from other applicants. So enjoy diving, meet great people, take advantage of all the great scuba travel options that are now available to you, and see where life takes you!
jirraph
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by jirraph »

I see...

Thank you, everyone, for the helpful advice! Looks like I'll be hunting for used gear and not get my hopes up just yet about diving work. Sounds like it'll be a bit challenging, but it'll be worth it.

Thanks again!