Curacao Nov 2013

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Benoit
Aquaphile

Curacao Nov 2013

Post by Benoit »

Went to Curacao this year for 10 days. Last year on Bonaire the diving was great - decided to try the neighbor island for a change.

The diving in Bonaire is better. The road along the island makes it more convenient. There was also less algae on Bonaire - not sure if it is because of the early rainy season this year or because of increased sediments/pollution? Don't know.

Anyway, the diving was still very good. Despite the very heavy rain we had in the first few days, viz was reasonable (50 to 100 ft). Lots of the shore dive site are beaches, and most have dive shop on site. Makes it easy to arrive with gear, rent on site and not have to deal with tank, and benefit from showers/rinse tanks/lockers... There are also a few places that offers packages similar to Bonaire - by the day, or by the tank with easy swaps.

We stayed at Coral Estate - next to former Habitat Curacao (which is being renovated). That's a great location on the West side - great diving, and not too far from the city, which you really want to go back to for groceries... the smaller markets are quite bad, but we found great stores in town (Cost-U-less is like Costco with no card needed. Centrum is as big as a Safeway)

Habitat Curacao might reopen summer 2014 - lots of renovation going on - I think it will be great! (Probably will change name?). However, the dive shop at Coral Estate IS opened - http://www.diveversity.com/en/ great folks, did shore diving from there, and did a boat dive with them too. Very convenient and the house reef is quite good.

We only did 8 dives while there - went with my kids, wife, and parents this time. But it still gave us a good taste of the island. It's not been discussed very often here so feel-free to ask questions if you are considering it...

On this trip I was trying my new RX100Mk2 in Nauticam housing, with a macro lenses, YS-D1, Sola 1200. It is more difficult to do great shots than my old S95, but with practice, I could see a huge improvements over the 8 dives there! Overall quite happy with the results.

You can find lots of shots from the trip here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F ... der%2c.jpg
Sample shot. Saw this turtle deep on the wall at the end of a 2nd dive, did a quick dip near Deco to get this shot... but it was worth it
Sample shot. Saw this turtle deep on the wall at the end of a 2nd dive, did a quick dip near Deco to get this shot... but it was worth it
- Benoit.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Re: Curacao Nov 2013

Post by pogiguy05 »

Nice photos and I will be in Bonaire in 21 days so they give me the warm fuzzy feeling to see the critters. I will be staying one night in Curacao then off to Bonaire for 8 days of diving from the 10th-17th :joshsmith:

How were the bugs? We were there this past June and only heard of the mosquitoes but never seen much.
Jeff Castor
Benoit
Aquaphile

Post by Benoit »

LOTS of no-see-hums and black flies, we were getting eaten alive up to 9am and from 4pm to 8pm or so. Mosquitoes - we got lucky. Only saw a few in the first few days. Dengue is no joke, not super common but really worth being a little paranoid...

We pre-treated all of our clothing with Permethrin. Good baseline repellent and not a single bite through the clothing.

I highly recommend any product with Picaridin 20%. Smells nothing. Dries DRY. Doesn't melt plastic/destroy diving equipment. Extremely effective - at least as good as DEET. Stays effective 7-12 hours, although you have to reapply immediately after going on the water. http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Premium-Re ... =picaridin

With the combo of both the mosquitoes/flies were "disappearing", completely ignoring us...

Have fun!
- Benoit.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Thanks for the report, Ive wondered how Curacao was for diving. The photo looks great, hope you post some more!
Benoit
Aquaphile

Post by Benoit »

Click the link on my post for a lot of photos ( https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=F ... der%2c.jpg )
- Benoit.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Benoit wrote:Went to Curacao this year for 10 days.

The diving in Bonaire is better.
Awesome!

Glad you got to go to Curacao and "satisfy my curiosity"... :angelblue:

Your description is great - very helpful, and verified kind of what I was thinking.

If the priority is DIVING Bonaire is tough to beat... Only a few more weeks now! :boucegreen:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman