Big Island Diving 2014

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Big Island Diving 2014

Post by Scubie Doo »

Aloha,

Penders and I returned from our Big Island dive trip early on Thursday morning, we had a blast. I had been very sick leading up to the trip. In fact, I was in bed all day Wednesday and Thursday. I pounded my Vitamin ‘C’ and using my Neti Pot, so the “flu” wouldn’t move to my sinuses. I was still fairly sick on the way to The Big Island, but I wasn’t going to let that stop us ☺

We arrived late on the 17th and wanted to get in the water first thing on the 18th. Since I had dove with Jackson Seay previously, I thought it would be a good idea to bring him along on the initial dives, to help guide us. Our first dive of the trip was at Puako, House 56. The swell was little rough and it mucked up visibility to about 40-45’. Our swim back in was a little tough, I got caught in a small rip current that made the swim in strenuous. Once we relaxed for a while, I got my second wind and we decided to try Paniau (aka End-of-the-Road) in Puako.

The surf was really high on this dive, and after we made it home, we chuckled that that dive was a little risky/dicey. However, having Jackson with us helped immensely. The viz at Paniau was even worst, at about 30’. However, we still had a blast. We then decided that, given the high surf, Pu’uhonua O Honaunau (aka Two-Step) would be our best bet for a third dive.

The entry at Two-Step is very easy, a simple giant stride. Here we were greeted with a beautiful (for the conditions) 70’ of viz and life was popping. As we descended down the outer wall, I turned to see Mike with his GoPro running and I opened my arms to say “This is what Big Island diving is supposed to be like.” Mike gave me a Shaka and continued our dive.

Day 2 we woke up a noticed the surf was down. We decided to stay close to Puako and conducted 3 dives at House 56, including a night dive. We did run up north to Mahukona for a dive and the entry is extremely easy. However, viz at Mahukona was only about 30’, which is why we headed back to House 56 for our night dive.

Day 3 was our most ambitious and my sickness was just about gone at this point. We woke up early and hit Two-Step for an early morning dive. It was absolutely beautiful, I love Two-Step! Viz was in the 90-100’ range. We decided to head to Ho’okena (based on a recommendation from Fritz in my Kona thread). This site was amazing. We made it all the way out to the wall, there was a little current, but nothing major. I think Mike got some amazing footage at this site. Can’t wait to see it. From there we headed to the harbor to conduct the Manta and Black Water dive with Big Island Divers.

The Manta dive was a little surgey, but we were greeted by 18 Mantas. While we were swimming back to the boat a Manta met us mid-water to say good-bye. What a treat. The Black Water dive was amazing. Shooting photos is extremely tough on the dive, but I can’t even put into words the amazing critters we saw that night.

Day 4 we decided to hit Paniau, and nail this dive since it kicked our butts earlier. We had a great dive with 70’ viz. We then decided on a new site in Puako, House 40. The entry/exit was a little more difficult than House 56, but it was a great dive. We decided to end the trip at Two-Step in the evening. After a good 55 minutes we were headed in and I said a quick prayer to the dive Gods “Let me see something we haven’t seen.” Just then a Spotted Eagle Ray came over a coral head and swam with us for a few minutes. Just as we were leaving, some of the biggest swells in 10-15 years were supposed to hit the island. We made it right in the "dive window" between major swells.

Over the course of 4 days we got in 14 dives totaling 817 minutes (averaging 58.4 minutes) and 917 feet (averaging 65.5 feet). Our deepest dive was 118 feet at Two-Step and our longest dive was 70 minutes at House 56. Here are a few of my favorite shots ☺

Click on any photo to be taken to the entire gallery. Enjoy and Mahalo!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Big Island Diving 2014

Post by LCF »

Wow -- that larval fish from the black water dive is amazing! We really enjoyed that dive, and it's something I'd recommend to anybody going there. We did the manta dive, too, but we got skunked -- not a single manta, just a guy on our boat who had an asthma attack and had to surface and ended up on the wrong boat altogether!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

18 mantas!!!?
Holy cow, sounds like an experience of a lifetime!
Nice pics!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Fabulous!

Thanks for telling the story.

Hope to get to the big island in a couple of years and will definitely pick your brain!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
thechadmiller
Frequent Bubbler

Post by thechadmiller »

Wow, my wife and I were there at pretty much the same time as you. May have even been on the same plane back.

Didn't get to dive as much as I'd have liked to but did a couple dives near Hilo with Nautilus Dive Shop (who I'd highly recommend) and the evening (at Pawaii) and manta dive in Kona with Big Island Divers (also great.)

My highlight was hearing whale songs while diving at Pawaii. Blew me away.
The crazy survey manta dive wasn't too shabby either.

Thanks for the recap and pictures.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Great pics. Makes me miss the big island.
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Amazing pictures, Jesse! Thanks for retelling part of your story for the week. I've only dove Kona one - and it was a whirlwind of two days at the end of a business trip. The manta night dive is amazing - felt like a once in a lifetime experience!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

LCF wrote:Wow -- that larval fish from the black water dive is amazing! We really enjoyed that dive, and it's something I'd recommend to anybody going there. We did the manta dive, too, but we got skunked -- not a single manta, just a guy on our boat who had an asthma attack and had to surface and ended up on the wrong boat altogether!
Lynne, Thanks. I was happy with one shot from the black water dive :) Sorry to hear you got skunked on the manta dive.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:18 mantas!!!?
Holy cow, sounds like an experience of a lifetime!
Nice pics!
Thanks Eric. I have had great success on the manta dives. Out of three outings I have seen 16, 13, and 18. Definitely a great experience.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tom Nic wrote:Fabulous!

Thanks for telling the story.

Hope to get to the big island in a couple of years and will definitely pick your brain!
Maybe I'll have to go with you and show you around in person :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

thechadmiller wrote:My highlight was hearing whale songs while diving at Pawaii. Blew me away.
Yes, that is an awesome experience. It felt like they were very close :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

spatman wrote:Great pics. Makes me miss the big island.
Thanks, and thank you for putting me in touch with Mari.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

KeithBoll wrote:Amazing pictures, Jesse! Thanks for retelling part of your story for the week. I've only dove Kona one - and it was a whirlwind of two days at the end of a business trip. The manta night dive is amazing - felt like a once in a lifetime experience!
Thanks Keith. Hope you have been well. We need to dive again soon, maybe off Don's boat.
Rob3
Avid Diver

Post by Rob3 »

You should have sent me a message. I am here on oahu enjoying the nice cold water here. We were on the big island all last week but didn't get to do any diving this time. Hit me up next time you make it over here.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great shots, and nice trip report! We will be leaving for maui on sunday, and then a week later to the big island. Planning on the blackwater dive, and possibly the manta dive again. Id love to hear more about Ho’okena, its on my list!
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

I still haven't gone through all my photos from last week's trip to the Big Island with Scoobie Doo, but promised I would get a few up to those at ThThTh last night.

Unfortunately, I put a nasty scratch in the dead center of my standard/macro port during an early dive on day 2, and ended up using my wide angle dome port for the rest of the trip. It turns out this wasn't so bad, as Scoobie was able capture the details with his macro setup, and I was able to get a few showing a bigger picture.
White Mouth Moray Eel 1.jpg
Moorish Idol 1.jpg
Green Turtle 5.jpg
Jesse with Moray 2.jpg
White Mouthed Moray 3.jpg
Coral 1.jpg
Trumpetfish 1.jpg
Blue Striped Snapper 2.jpg
Finger Coral Reef 1.jpg
Scoobie Doo using his patented "Squid Whispering Technique" on a Moray Eel
Scoobie Doo using his patented "Squid Whispering Technique" on a Moray Eel
Green Turtle with Jesse 1.jpg
Moray Eel with Jesse.jpg
Manta Ray 10.jpg
Manta Ray 20.jpg
That's Scoobie photo bombing in the bottom right corner.
That's Scoobie photo bombing in the bottom right corner.
Manta Ray 5.jpg
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Fantastic! I love that 2nd-to-last one!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great shots Mike! Hope I have some that turn out that good. Thanks for sharing!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Great stuff Penders! It was a treat to finally hit Hawaii with you. You got some great WA shots! The first eel, trumpetfish, and turtle peeking over the coral are awesome! Can't wait to see some video from Ho'okena.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Awesome pics!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
shaggie
Avid Diver

Post by shaggie »

Great pics! Last time I was there, I inquired at Jacks Dive Locker about shore dives. They told me there was not much and the entry/ exits were very hard. So, I struck out on my own and found some great stuff!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

shaggie, there are some really great shore dive sites there. In fact, jacks has maps to most of them they will copy for you.Entry being hard is really relative; If you feel like Octopus hole is really difficult then they may be correct. However, with a little caution and some scouting, most of them were really not bad at all.