Cutting tool on camera rig?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Cutting tool on camera rig?

Post by Furnari »

Just wondering if anyone keeps a cutting implement on their camera rig. I figured it's as good a place as any for a third one as I'm not getting in the water without a camera, and it'd be easier to to re-sheath it if it was on an object that I could see clearly (not like getting it back into a sheath on my waist belt under a weight pouch, for instance). Thoughts?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Cutting tool on camera rig?

Post by Scubie Doo »

I don't see why not, I may add one. I have a backup compass and dive computer mounted to my strobe arms. This way I can easily keep track of things while taking pictures.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I think it's a great idea. I believe that having more cutting tools is a better than having less. And they should be easy to get at. I carry a knife and a line cutter attached to the wrist strap that holds my computer, as well as EMT shears that move around my kit because I haven't decided where the best place for them is yet.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Glad I'm not crazy. I have a dive watch for depth/time on my focus light, so why not a cutter on the tray? I figured I'd ask in case I was missing something. By the way, I have my shears in a sheath on the waist strap, attached to a D-ring with a really light duty retractor. That way stowing it isn't such a big deal, and I can easily break the string if needed. I'm enough of a clutz that I figured having it on a leash was a good idea.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Scubie Doo wrote:I don't see why not, I may add one. I have a backup compass and dive computer mounted to my strobe arms. This way I can easily keep track of things while taking pictures.
And hey, doesn't the Death Star need a weapons system anyway?? :funky:

Great pics from Costa Rica, BTW - nice to see that your camera works out of the water too :-)

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Thanks Jim :) I like the analogy, now I just need a big Rambo knife to throw on there!