New Torus wings released by Deep Sea Supply

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Ken G
I've Got Gills

New Torus wings released by Deep Sea Supply

Post by Ken G »

Deep Sea Supply has just released there new Torus wings. I think the doubles wing has been out a little while but the singles just started to ship a few days ago. They look pretty good. It’s a 360 degree heavy duty bladder that is almost twice as thick as most, making it possible to eliminate the zipper. I think the shape is interesting also as it is a tapered design with more lift on the bottom of the rig and is said to be easier to vent. The singles are not much wider than the BP and there is no STA needed. Check out the link if interested.

http://deepseasupply.com/page21.html

I think these and the new Oxycheq wings seem to be really nice as well.

http://www.oxycheq.com/Wings.html

kgdiver
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I have one of the new 35# Torus wings on its way ... if any of y'all want to "test dive" it, I'd be happy to arrange that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Those Toruses look pretty sweet. Bob, where did you buy yours, direct?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

As direct as it gets ... Tobin's sending me one of the prototypes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Is there a way I can get my hands on one for a product review on my site? I'm not sure if they're for sale yet, but I'd be happy to buy one if they are. It looks like something that I need anyways, otherwise I'd take you up on your offer to just give yours a try. :prayer:
TobinGeorge
Getting To Know Folks

Post by TobinGeorge »

Greetings. Interesting Site. I'm always interested in the geographical variations in diving conditions. This type of regional site should be great for PNW specific info.

Thanks for the kind words regarding our new Torus Wings for single tanks.

Bob's volunteered to be the PNW test pilot. (Bob you should have the goods Monday)

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Tobin
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Whoa! Greetings, Tobin George!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well, there ya go ... Calvin, we're just going to have to go diving so you can try out the new wing ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Alright, let me know when and where Bob :salute:
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Tobin,

Welcome to the NWDiveClub.

You have manufactured some really nice gear. It seems that Deep Sea Supply has some very innovative ideas.

I’m just about to order your SK7 and Vyper elastomeric mount. I think the bungee should eliminate my issue with suit compression at depth. Makes for gearing up a bit easier as well.

I appreciate the fact that I can ask questions about your products directly on forums such as this and SB. Keep it up.

KGdiver
TobinGeorge
Getting To Know Folks

Post by TobinGeorge »

KGdiver wrote:Tobin,

Welcome to the NWDiveClub.

You have manufactured some really nice gear. It seems that Deep Sea Supply has some very innovative ideas.

I’m just about to order your SK7 and Vyper elastomeric mount. I think the bungee should eliminate my issue with suit compression at depth. Makes for gearing up a bit easier as well.

I appreciate the fact that I can ask questions about your products directly on forums such as this and SB. Keep it up.

KGdiver
KG,

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the kind words. I always happy to answer questions.

Tobin
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Pretty cool, I stumbled across some deep sea merchandise here and there on the web. It will be nice to see some first hand....
:partyman:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dave wrote:Pretty cool, I stumbled across some deep sea merchandise here and there on the web. It will be nice to see some first hand....
Just be aware that there are two companies with similar names ...

Deep See is a large company that builds moderate-quality recreational gear.

Deep Sea Supply is a small company that builds high-quality, innovative products for recreational and technical divers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Dave wrote:Pretty cool, I stumbled across some deep sea merchandise here and there on the web. It will be nice to see some first hand....
Just be aware that there are two companies with similar names ...

Deep See is a large company that builds moderate-quality recreational gear.

Deep Sea Supply is a small company that builds high-quality, innovative products for recreational and technical divers.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
What Bob said.....with emphasis on the "high-quality" and "innovative" parts! DSS makes great gear and it's exciting to watch them grow!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Welcome Tobin! You couldn’t have selected a better PNW test diver than Bob! I had an opportunity to try on and play with your gear and am looking forward to diving the new Torus wing very soon. You will be receiving my order for a full rig very soon (with a Torus 35), and I’ll be anxiously awaiting its arrival!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I had the opportunity to dive the Torus 35 wing and I must there - there's nothing wrong with it (ok, so it was amazing)! It dived like a dream and I will be purchasing one. It took a novice diver like me (who's dived numerous rigs thanks to renting and borrowing gear) and made me feel like a pro. My weight belt was off kilter but when I spun the belt around so it was balanced, the true beauty of the Torus came to be.

If you're in the market for a new back plate and wing, seriously consider the Torus. In my humble and somewhat inexperienced opinion, the Deep Sea Supply Torus wing is top-shelf. Grateful Diver can tell you much more about the company and their products than I can... he's spent a minute or two underwater.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I get to dive it tonight ... I'll post a review tomorrow ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well, I can't wait till tomorrow ... this wing is SWEEEEEET !!!

I liked the earlier DSS wing ... the LCD ... but the Torus is in a whole 'nother category. Very streamlined ... you don't notice it back there at all, either above or below the water. Trims out nice, balances naturally, and vents easily.

My only "knock" ... and it's not a serious one ... is that I'd prefer a slightly longer inflator hose. When the wing's fully inflated, this one tends to ride up a bit higher than I'd like ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Bob,
Did you get a chance to dive it yet? I can’t tell if your review was from before or after you actually got to dive it. Do you have anything to add to that previous post? I’m trying to decide on a new singles wing and that Torus is definitely a contender.

KGDiver
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Bob,
Did you get a chance to dive it yet? I can’t tell if your review was from before or after you actually got to dive it. Do you have anything to add to that previous post? I’m trying to decide on a new singles wing and that Torus is definitely a contender.

KGDiver
Yep, that was after a dive. Best thing to add is that if you want to try it out, let's arrange a dive. You can try it out and draw your own conclusions ... it's a very nice wing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Tester

Post by Diver_Dave »

Do u need some one in Alaska to test it out for u????If it isnt Sulser proof its not worth buying...My scuba inst. said (Clay Culbert)Image
Last edited by Diver_Dave on Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That's a nice crinoid Dave.

Kgdiver, the torus is very nice. I was amazed at how stable it was and how well you could move with it. I haven't dived another singles wing, but according to Bob the torus is one of his (if not the) favorite.

I'd take him up on the offer to give it a try, prior to buying one.

Bob, are they available for purchase yet?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Calvin Tang wrote:That's a nice crinoid Dave.

Kgdiver, the torus is very nice. I was amazed at how stable it was and how well you could move with it. I haven't dived another singles wing, but according to Bob the torus is one of his (if not the) favorite.

I'd take him up on the offer to give it a try, prior to buying one.

Bob, are they available for purchase yet?
Yep, they've been out for a few weeks now, and the reviews I've seen are very positive.

I've got this one set up pretty much so that anyone can give it a try ... the one-piece harness can be adjusted for just about any size diver. Let me know if you're interested.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm buying two (one for me and one for the wife)!!! They're VERY sweet and the backplate is VERY comfortable!!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!