Everybody DUCK!!!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Everybody DUCK!!!

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Yeah, my husband and a diver who was in town from Great Falls, MT were diving at Les Davis this evening. My son and I were running around the park. After the dive, the 4 of us were walking back to the car. The 2 divers started breaking down their gear and we overheard a loud confirtation between 4 men.

It got louder, then one of them pulls a gun. :pale: They continued to yell at each other and then jumped in their cars and sped off. Yeah, we were all ducking behind the car. I am on the phone calling 911. 10 minutes later Tacoma PD show up. It was kind of cool...4-6 cops with rifles. :supz:

By that time, the show was long over. I did get a plate number on one of the cars.

I guess you never know what you might see when you go out for a dive...
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Everybody DUCK!!!

Post by Joshua Smith »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Yeah, my husband and a diver who was in town from Great Falls, MT were diving at Les Davis this evening. My son and I were running around the park. After the dive, the 4 of us were walking back to the car. The 2 divers started breaking down their gear and we overheard a loud confirtation between 4 men.

It got louder, then one of them pulls a gun. :pale: They continued to yell at each other and then jumped in their cars and sped off. Yeah, we were all ducking behind the car. I am on the phone calling 911. 10 minutes later Tacoma PD show up. It was kind of cool...4-6 cops with rifles. :supz:

By that time, the show was long over. I did get a plate number on one of the cars.

I guess you never know what you might see when you go out for a dive...
Damn. Glad you all are OK! I just don't need that crap any more- I've lived in lots of "shots fired" kinda neighborhoods, and I'm just sick of it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Re: Everybody DUCK!!!

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Nailer99 wrote:Damn. Glad you all are OK! I just don't need that crap any more- I've lived in lots of "shots fired" kinda neighborhoods, and I'm just sick of it.
Ditto! :angryfire:
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I've responded to far too many "man with a gun" or "shots fired" calls to count. The best response is to do exactly what you did... duck behind a car (or whatever you have), call 911 being as calm and helpful as you can (just answer the dispatcher's questions... nothing more or less), and get as much observational information as possible (say the license plate of all vehicles involved into the phone clearly when you're on with 911 allong with your personal contact informationc - even if you're on hold). This will help the detectives in their investigation of the incident.

Do not try to be a hero but rather just let things play out the way they do. You're uninvolved at the moment... KEEP IT THAT WAY!!! DO NOT get involved with an incident... just hang tight, it won't last too long. :axe:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Holy CRAP!!! Wow how scary.. I know that Les Davis can get a little rough at night, but this is rediculus. Guess I will be sticking to Saturday mornings there from now on. Not that that makes that much of a difference but at least you would think with the hordes of families and exercisers the hood rats would stay away.

Glad you are ok Amy!!!!
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

It is fustrating because Les Davis is the closest shore dive to the store. I would like to use it for Tuesday night dives but because there are so many people, and a lot of "men" like I saw last night, I have been avoiding it.

We were never in any real danger, but when a man in waving a gun around in anger, you never know what is going to happen.

I talked to Tacoma PD a bit about the "problems" in that parking lot. They said they can be at Les Davis on the weekends, but it is difficult during the week because of money.

I hate to say this but if they made LD parking lot a paid lot, it would help. It would suck for us who have to pay, but it would make it a lot safer.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

It's just bad tactics to confront a threat when your weapon is under your drysuit. #-o Better to duck and run. Or make an emergency... decent.

-Ben