Click ClickClick Now What to do with all of these pictres

General banter about diving and why we love it.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Click ClickClick Now What to do with all of these pictres

Post by sparky »

I was just wondering what do you all do with the 1000s and 1000s of Nudie and Squid and Octo pictures you have eatting up massive amounts of space on your hard drive .

I have only had the chance to make a bout 3 or 4 dives with my new digital camara and I all ready have a ton of pictures on my hard drve Ihave made a slide show or two nothing as nice as Gratefull fiver makes but im still getting it figured out

I have a large familey and I was thinking of makeing clanderes for my brother and sisters for Xmas this year

I have 3 or 4 shots I am verry proud of and would like to have printed in say a 8x10 or a couple 5x7s to hang around the house

just wondering does any one else do this sort of thing with there pictures or not

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Sparky - One option for storing your pictures would be to get a CD/DVD burner for your computer. After you're done with your pictures on your computer, just burn them to a disc, and then you can delete the pics off your hard drive. Just make sure you label the disc somehow so you know what's on it.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Hey Sparky. I shot film so I did not have nearly as many pics as the digital shooters had but I still had 1000's collected over the last 9 years. What I did was sorted through all of them, scanned the ones I want to keep, burned onto cd's and donated the others to dives shop classes. I am down to about 18" of printed pictures. I have several that I have printed and framed in the house. If you really go through and organize the different pictures by title it is easier to then sort by title and delete the just so so ones.

Charles

Happy Birthday America.
Charles
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Hey sparky,
I frame a select few photos for my house. A cool Idea, if you have a few prints you are proud of, is to make a calander and give to people with your photos in it! You can make them at Walgreens or Riteaid and that way you can show off you cool photos, in a useful way, and give them as gifts!!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
boydski
Submariner

Re: Click ClickClick Now What to do with all of these pictre

Post by boydski »

sparky wrote:I was just wondering what do you all do with the 1000s and 1000s of Nudie and Squid and Octo pictures you have eatting up massive amounts of space on your hard drive .

Sparky
Hi Sparky,

I have more than 10,000 images stored and cataloged on my computer (RAW files so they are quite large). I use Adobe Lightroom to tag the pictures with keyword Metadata so I can manage and find the images that I am looking for later (for example, my PB4Y photos are tagged with the keywords Wreck and PB4Y).

Burning images to DVD's for storing is a good option, but I use several portable hard drives to back up my pictures (at least one is always off site). Do back up your images. Hard drives are mechanical devices that will fail. Its only a matter of time, so if you get into a habit of always copying your photos to your computer, then to a backup disk before you even look at them, a disk failure will just be a mild annoyance (not a catastrophe).

As far as showing your work, I print calendars, fine art prints, notecards, and show them off on my web site. Every once in a while, they even show up in Magazines, Newspapers and Books. Underwater Photography is a great hobby. Too bad its so darn expensive....
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Click ClickClick Now What to do with all of these pictre

Post by Tangfish »

sparky wrote:I was just wondering what do you all do with the 1000s and 1000s of Nudie [.....] pictures you have eatting up massive amounts of space on your hard drive .
I'll leave that to your imagination :evil4:
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Yeah, what Aquanut said. When I had a camera (film) I went through each shooting session and kept only the really good ones. The keepers were scanned and burned onto a CD, the rest were shredded. More often than not, it meant only 1 keeper per roll, if I was lucky. I used LView Pro to crop and size the good ones. Don't digitals let you view/delete the pics right after you take it?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i'm glad you asked that because i am accumulating lots of photos, too, and it is eating up a lot of my hard drive. i also use an external drive but it is "only" 80GB and i had to delete some things the other day because it was full. i keep the original files, and then i also keep any number of edited versions that i use to post to flickr and whatnot, so that's even more space. i was thinking of getting another hard drive, shying away from putting them onto cd's because i wasn't sure how safe they were. after what boydski said, though, i guess maybe i should do both. the good thing is that the bigger external drives are getting cheaper, so i've definitely been looking for potential good deals on a buy ...

btw, you can actually store photos on flickr, but i don't know how much space you get and how feasible it is once you start accumulating large numbers of photos ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

It sound like you need a new computer Goddess. ](*,)

I just picked up a refurbished HP 340 gig with 2 gig ram for 6 scuba units at Frys electronics. I only have used 68 gig so far. \:D/ Sweet.

Charles
Charles