Lost-ish at Edmonds: Where were we?

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
carlk3
Aquaphile

Post by carlk3 »

We dove Edmonds yesterday morning in about 5 to 10 ft of viz. We could use your help confirming where we were.

We descended at the 2nd Jetty Way buoy (Yellow) and swam North for 20-25 minutes. Turned 180 degrees and returned.
(Our primary plan was to swim to and follow the Centennial way line, but we were never sure of finding the lines, so we went with the back up plan of swimming North and then back South.)

With your help, we'll be able to figure out where and how far we went.

So, is this "Giza (pyramid)"?
GizaQ.jpg
Is this "Mono Rails"?
Rings2.jpg
Rings.jpg
Any idea what/where this is? (It seems like some kind of A-frame)?
WhereAmI.jpg
Any idea what/where this little bunker is?
WhereAmI2.jpg
Finally, this seastar is a mature Sunflower Star, right?
TooManyLegs2.jpg
Thanks!
Carl
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Lost-ish at Edmonds: Where were we?

Post by CaptnJack »

I think you were on milk crate way which is the middle of the 3 basic north/south lines. That runs into the pyramid things about 3 intersections to the north of jetty way.
Attachments
edmonds.png
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

The "monorails" looks exactly like the Slinky
carlk3
Aquaphile

Post by carlk3 »

Thanks for the suggestions, so far. Here is picture of my rough guess of where we were:
minimap.jpg
Bruce Higgin's map says that
  • "T" is "Sebastian's Tower"
  • "X" is "Giza (pyramid)"
  • "03" is "Mono Rails"
In these pictures the hoopy things do look like "Slinky", but "Slinky" is actually one of the few features that I know. I think "Slinky" is a bit bigger (easier to swim through) and plastic. This feature is smaller and metal.

- Carl
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Why didn't you follow an established line? All the junk, umm I mean habitat, is along the lines or adjacent to them.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
carlk3
Aquaphile

Post by carlk3 »

CaptnJack wrote:Why didn't you follow an established line? All the junk, umm I mean habitat, is along the lines or adjacent to them.
Good question. We thought "North from Yellow #2" would be a sensible shortcut on the way to Glacier way. But finding the lines as we crossed them was too hard and Edmonds was too big. (In contrast, finding the Alki Cove 2's cross-cove line is easy to find and Cove 2 is small.)

We've learned our lesson. From now on, at Edmonds, we'll surface swim to where we want to be (for example, the buoy at intersection of Centennial way & Glacier Way) and descend there.

- Carl
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yeah cutting across lines is iffy under the best of conditions as there's typically more open sand space than you imagine in those areas. When the vis is terrible and your eyes are in macro mode its best to just stay on the junk lines and celebrate the "small"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

That's true, although I've seen some of my best Edmonds nudibranchs in the sand patches.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I enjoy the final swim through the Eel grass at the end of a dive at EUP. All kinds of fun little critters to look at.

Navigation can be a bit tricky in low vis. I try my best to find a line and use my compass to confirm which direction we're going. The bottom is so flat that it's easy to be 90 or even 180 degrees off course.