Any six gill reports?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
L.A.
Frequent Bubbler

Any six gill reports?

Post by L.A. »

Anyone had six gill encounters lately they want to share? I haven't been on any night or early am dives this summer, but wondered if any divers were running into the critters yet and if so, where?

All public replies to this post will be kept strictly confidential ;-)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Twice this year at cove 2....once at night, the other time late afternoon.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
L.A.
Frequent Bubbler

Post by L.A. »

Nailer99 wrote:Twice this year at cove 2....once at night, the other time late afternoon.
That's awesome...depth and landmark?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sunday morning around 7:30-8, right at 95 feet on a higher tide south of the I-beams maybe 100 feet or so (30 seconds of trigger time on the scoot).

6--7 footer, had a tag with yellow wire, but couldn't make out the shapes of the beads on it, they were covered in algae.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Parking lot buzz had someone spotting one at 85 fsw last night ... down by the I-beams, I believe.

I was too busy doing drills at 50 feet ... damn thing could've swam up and bit me in the ass and I wouldn't have noticed ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
L.A.
Frequent Bubbler

Post by L.A. »

Thanks for the info guys!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Just bring Burntchef with you on a dive and you'll see one. :axe:

We should rename him 'sharkbait'.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Don Coleman just saw one at Rosie's Ravine on Hood Canal last week - he was very excited about it since it was his first sighting.

He has now resigned his post as President of the Never-Seen-A-Sixgill Club and I've been promoted from VP to President. Yay for me. #-o

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Huh, Janna's never seen a sixgill? Janna, seriously, you need to go diving with Burntchef - he has a pretty amazing track record.
L.A.
Frequent Bubbler

Post by L.A. »

Calvin wrote:Huh, Janna's never seen a sixgill? Janna, seriously, you need to go diving with Burntchef - he has a pretty amazing track record.
Could it be his cologne? Seriously, where's he seeing all the six-gills? I've only seen one (Redondo last summer). I heard Owens Beach during the summer is an almost sure thing.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

my trick is to tie a chicken leg to each of my fins, makes for great macro pics!
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

L.A. wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:Twice this year at cove 2....once at night, the other time late afternoon.
That's awesome...depth and landmark?
One was SE of the I beams in ~100 fsw, the other was on the boundary line just past the last yellow buoy- swam right in front of us- we followed her inside the line for a little while (this was before the water Taxi started running).

Cove 2 is a pretty active spot for them, but I had well over 100 dives there before I saw my first one.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Cwest
Avid Diver

Post by Cwest »

I heard Owens Beach during the summer is an almost sure thing.
Last summer I did ten dive there and saw six gill sharks on three of them. Other divers saw them somtimes when I did not. This year I have been dove Owens three times and have yet to run into one although I was told one was spotted a couple of weeks ago.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

My one and only sighting was at Owen Beach 3 years ago at dusk. I have a friend who dives Lobstershop, Les Davis Pipeline and Owen Beach regularly and sees them on almost every dive.

All his dives are 100+ feet.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Pinkpadigal wrote:My one and only sighting was at Owen Beach 3 years ago at dusk. I have a friend who dives Lobstershop, Les Davis Pipeline and Owen Beach regularly and sees them on almost every dive.

Sounds like Kirby! However, no one see's Sixgills on almost every dive (I'd love to be proved wrong here!).

There was a 10' Female Sixgill reported at Cove 2 last Tuesday. It was just a few yards away from where I was but no sighting for me this time.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

I-Beams, 11am 6-7 footer, tagged.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

mattwave wrote:I-Beams, 11am 6-7 footer, tagged.
Are you kidding me? Again?! :angryfire:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sounds like the same one, did you get a look at the shapes of the beads on the tag?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Man, I swear, Cove 2 is 6 gill central.

L.A.
Frequent Bubbler

Post by L.A. »

Nailer99 wrote:Man, I swear, Cove 2 is 6 gill central.
In a modest amount of dives there, I have yet to see one. Glad to hear that folks are seeing them though. No diving for me for several weeks due to semester finals :crybaby:
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

dsteding wrote:
Sounds like the same one, did you get a look at the shapes of the beads on the tag?
No, I didn't have the scootie, and our visit was brief.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

I saw an 8' female Sixgill at 7pm in Cove 2 at approx 100fsw tonight This one had no tag. It looks like Sixgill season has begun given the multiple reports of Sixgills recently.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

my boyfriend really wants to see a sixgill ... i think we might have to go for a quick jaunt to the i-beams soon!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

gcbryan wrote:
Pinkpadigal wrote:My one and only sighting was at Owen Beach 3 years ago at dusk. I have a friend who dives Lobstershop, Les Davis Pipeline and Owen Beach regularly and sees them on almost every dive.

Sounds like Kirby! However, no one see's Sixgills on almost every dive (I'd love to be proved wrong here!).

quote]

Actually, his name is Kirk. I haven't talked to him in a few months, but every year, starting in late June, he would see at least 1 on each dive. None of us who knew him could believe it, but his buddies backed him up. Now, keep in mind, he did most of his dives 80-140ft, and he dove in the evenings or later at night. We used to tease him and said that he wore shark perfume.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

"shark perfume" hehe! :)
K
"Let's go diving!"