Any Aquatica Housing owner looking to upgrade to FF Nikon DSLR?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
GRH
Frequent Bubbler

Any Aquatica Housing owner looking to upgrade to FF Nikon DSLR?

Post by GRH »

Before I take pictures of the housing and post a FS ad I wanted to check interest in current Aquatica Housing owners happy with the Aquatica system but interested in upgrading to a pro size Nikon FF DSLR. This is a BIG camera body but blazingly fast with great low light capability and video support.

I realize the target market is small and I am OK with continuing to use what I have.

As a Sports Shooter, I routinely sell and upgrade my camera bodies and have pre-ordered Nikon D5’s to replace my pair of D4s bodies.

I have kept the still very capable D3s after purchasing the Aquatica D3s housing but thought I would check and see if a current Aquatica housing owner was considering upgrading to an advanced Full Frame body and re-using their current ports and domes. I ask because even if I sell my D3s housing I would want to re-use my current ports, domes and miscellaneous accessories’ on the new D5 housing, if Aquatica actually decides to make one.

The D3s is actually more than I need for underwater but using the same body above and below the surface would offer some conveniences.

I could sell the housing and D3s body as a package if my shot in the dark grabs someone’s interest.

Aquatica housing: For Nikon D3s/D3x/D3 Digital Pro housing with dual bulkheads & Moisture Alarm

The bulkhead ports are unique in that the housing was ordered for Ikelite strobe connectors but was built and delivered with Nikonos.

I had ordered the Aquatica Nikon D3 / D3X / D3s Pro housing with Ikelite Bulkheads & Moisture Alarm #20067 but was shipped with Dual Nikonos bulkheads. My dealer subsequently had the Ikelite bulkhead installed in the Accessory Bulkhead port so the housing gives you both strobe connection options.

The 20069-NK includes two of the classic 5-pin Nikonos connectors and the 20069-KT is supplied with a time proven 5-pin Ikelite connector. Both versions are ready to accept currently available TTL converters. Aquatica standard strobe connectors are also field replaceable without the need for specialized tools.

Includes video controls including the Multi Selector set/Record lever and Live View Activating button for a D3s.

Regards,

George
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Any Aquatica Housing owner looking to upgrade to FF Nikon DSLR?

Post by YellowEye »

Hi George

Wow a d5 would be a sweet setup! And the d3 for that matter!

What lenses do you use on the d3? I think a lot of people switch lenses/ports/domes when going ff?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
GRH
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Any Aquatica Housing owner looking to upgrade to FF Nikon DSLR?

Post by GRH »

Hi YellowEye,

I find the most used lens in Puget Sound is the 105mm Micro Nikkor with the Aquatica Macro Port and extension. I also use the 60mm macro with the same port and no extension if I think I might find some larger critters.

I use the Sigma 15mm Fish Eye with the 9.25" glass dome and could use my 14-24 Nikon Zoom with the dome extension but very rarely do.

The D5's main use is not for UW though and I am still more than satisfied with the D3s but would like to get down to a pair of bodies. For sports shooting I do set the D3s up with a remote trigger at times and have been known to carry three bodies but it is getting to be too much work.