The other Redondo

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

The other Redondo

Post by WylerBear »

My family and I are heading south for a little vacation. We plan to drive down as far as San Diego with no real plans to go anywhere. Except I just found out a friend who dives (sort of-warm, water type with few dives) wants to dive with me while I'm down that way. He lives in Redondo Beach. Just moved there so doesn't really know anything about the shops or the diving.
Anyone have any info or advice about sites or shops down that way? Didn't someone just go down there-was it you, Sounder?
Or any suggestions for places to dive in San Diego, Monterey or anywhere else between here and SD?
Would appreciate any info anyone has. Thanks.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Now rember I have never dove this area but I am told the kelp beds are out of this world.

when I was driving truck in and out of Cal. I would offten find my self in the Redondo area I do know there is some grate diving but have not had the chance to partake sadly

make sure you take lots of Pictures for us though

I would make sure to ask about the kelp beds
and I know the area you are looking at is a favorite place with the pacific White Sdied Dolphen I have seen them there on more then one trip

Have a grate time Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

many people say that point lobos in monterey is fantastic. you have to make a reservation to dive there because they only let a few number of divers in per day.

http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/Scuba.htm
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

So Cal is where I am a native.. I am admitting that in a public forum so I hope you all still like me.. But of course I didn't start diving until I moved here and dive the PS so I don't know about the diving there.. For sure any shore diving is going to have surf.. So Cal has some of the best waves in the country (other than Hawaii) so if you want to surf that's cool, but it'll just make entry that much more 'fun' for diving. Be careful! And it's going to be HOT down there. not just a little hot really really HOT.. The beach is about the only place to be when it's that hot.. I would guess that you are going to have better visibility the farther south you go.. I have not dove but I have body surfed in Redondo beach and the surrounding areas.. And the water isn't ecactly pristine (at least near the shore) They have some pretty strange run offs down there and lets just say the water can get a little brown.. :vom: I didn't care when I was a kid.. but I know better now..

Anyway, have fun and bring your sunscreen!
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Vet's Park in Redondo ... my local friends describe it as a "mudhole" ... which it is, but it's an easy entry and the bottom's just chock full of little fringeheads and tiny octopus.

Here's some images from Vet's Park ...