Advice?

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
dhc2widow
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Advice?

Post by dhc2widow »

I have joined this forum in the hope that someone here can hook me up with someone somewhere who may be able to help or advise us ...

Two and a half years ago, my husband and four other men died after the air taxi they travelled in sank in the Sutil Channel near Vancouver Island, BC.

Five months later, the families contracted to have the aircraft lifted from the ocean floor. Unfortunately, corrosion had resulted in the engine being left behind.

Two years later, we are still trying to bring it to the surface. The various government agencies have opted out of helping in this effort, as they claim nothing can be learned by retrieving the engine. We disagree.

Through a series of trial and error, we have come to believe that the operation should be a relatively simple one for someone experienced in deep water diving.

What we have is an 9-cylinder radial R-985 Pratt & Whitney engine lying at a depth of about 830 feet. We have video of what it looked like down there a year after the rest of the wreck had been recovered. The engine was sitting in a partial "crater" created by the weight of the aircraft. There is some concern that it may be sinking in the silt, or being covered by silt due to the strange currents in the area. We have approximate GPS co-ordinates of the engine and nearby markers (we found one of those markers last week, by towing an underwater camera). We are trying to get video that may have been taken in March 2007 when there was a failed attempt (they could not locate) by a manned submersible. On April 28th (re-aired August 4th), the investigative news program W-Five aired an episode entitled "A Routine Flight" about our "quest". The video can still be viewed by following the links on the right side of this page: W-Five: A Routine Flight.

Here is what we believe we need - an ROV able to go to depths up to 1000 feet, with a manipulator, real-time camera and sonar. We need more knowledge about dredging - the best way to blow silt at that depth ... We know this should be a relatively easy operation for someone experienced in deep water salvage - ancient wreck guys and treasure hunters and such ...

We are currently doing a last financial drive to enable us to retrieve the elusive engine. Although the government is not accepting responsibility for raising the engine, they have offered $10,000 upon recovery. Donations are being gratefully accepted by ...

TD Canada Trust
1400 Island Highway
Campbell River, BC
Transit # 9038
Acct #6259768
"Allison Decock In Trust"

You can read about the crash and the families' investigation by visiting our site http://www.questforjustice.ca, and further help in forcing the government to take action by signing our petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/cgaqw/petition.html.

We would be very grateful for any response.

Stay Safe,

Kirsten Stevens
dhc2widow@hotmail.com
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow. What a story. I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.
830 feet is a little deeper than any of us can dive to, but it sounds like you've figured out what you need to do the job- good luck, maybe somebody here knows someone with an ROV and salvage expertise. Please keep us informed about any new developments- the story is fascinating.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."