Harper's Fishing Pier (8/27)

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
slonda828
Just Settling In

Harper's Fishing Pier (8/27)

Post by slonda828 »

Kitsap Dive Club's next dive is August 27th @ Harper's Fishing Pier in Port Orchard. This is a 9 for a 10, meaning that we get there at 0900 for a 1000 splash. Usually, we miss the splash time because we are lollygagging around shooting the breeze. At least as few of us will be there at 0900 to wander about and look confused until the others arrive. Last time we went, I was lucky enough to find a 1908 Walker Kilmarnock scotch bottle. This is an old Mosquito Fleet dock, so it has been around in one iteration or another for a very long time.
13873094_1759095891023444_8858497764238957577_n.jpg
Check out the markings on this perfect old scotch bottle above that we found while diving. You can see it was still hand made.
13920626_1759095861023447_2638433697805247533_n.jpg
Fresh off the bottom. I'm not sure why old glass seems to resist concretions.
13920885_10153908980904436_7394848491053661589_n.jpg
If you dive with us, sometimes you get to see vintage equipment and various gear configurations. It's nice to learn about new types of scuba gear :)We try to do something new every dive, and to have something educational wrapped in as well.

Parking is limited, but I think we are all probably used to that at this point in the PNW. There is a decently long walk of about 300-400 feet, just out to the end of the pier where the entrance is. I would walk it in a set of double 100s and a drysuit, but everyone says I am a little crazy.

Here is some satellite imagery for those of you who habla reconnoitering:

Harper's Fishing Pier Imagery

The general profile is a gentle slope from 20 feet at the pier to a maximum of about 50 feet. There is a floating pier for your favorite entrance (depicted above in the photo) so you can do your best Hollywood style giant stride, seated entrance, etc. If you have good gas consumption you can usually get a solid hour per dive. We are planning for 2 tanks.

Here is a map, which will self-destruct after this briefing, courtesy of PNW scuba:

For your eyes only.

I have most of a dive shop in my garage. If you need to borrow a computer or something that you have in for service or what have you, then please let me know. Whatever you need, one of us has it.

This dive, because we have new divers joining us, we will be going over gas planning, rock bottom gas pressures, single hand and arm signals, and as always, our illustrious dive briefing complete with history by one of the divers. We are not the scuba police though, we really are here for fun and we will not give you a hard time :angelblue: Our briefings are serious, but our demeanor is not. We promise that you will have fun. If you keep a logbook, please bring it. We had stickers made out of our own pockets, and by God you will get one if you have a logbook and you want one. It's not a dive without a sticker. You can also copy down rock bottom numbers, etc if you do not already have them.

Afterwards, we usually get some food if we do not cook. Many of us will lie to you about things we have done diving, and you will not believe us. Then, we go home :partyman:

Here is the link:

http://www.meetup.com/kitsapDiveClub/events/233143520/

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Slonda828
Last edited by slonda828 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
-JYC
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Harper's Fishing Pier (8/27)

Post by CaptnJack »

slonda828 wrote:Many of us will lie to you about things we have done diving, and you will not believe us. Then, we go home :partyman:
LMAO awesome, you fit right in :p

PS I am right up the street on Terrace Way SE. Just north of the Harper Church Park & Ride. I will see about joining you.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
slonda828
Just Settling In

Post by slonda828 »

Please do CaptnJack, we would love to dive with you.
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
-JYC
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I've some fond memories of diving harpers ferry.
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Sebass will have his catch bag and last time came home with a nice assortment of bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Sebass found a kid's working fishing pole.

slonda828
Just Settling In

Post by slonda828 »

Hi all,

Just a last minute reminder before I spend the week solving the world's problems. We are diving Saturday. You should join us. Fun is mandatory :)
-JYC
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Hi!!!
I might be able to dive. Probably only one tank though.
Would love to meet up!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Unfortunately I have to work....
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Gdog wrote:Unfortunately I have to work....
Are you feeling better after the peanut incident?

Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Mostly. Still some residual effects, but they will disapate. I've struggled with this my whole life. And now the company that makes the epipen is rising the price from $100 to $900 for a two pack.
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Gdog wrote:Mostly. Still some residual effects, but they will disapate. I've struggled with this my whole life. And now the company that makes the epipen is rising the price from $100 to $900 for a two pack.
I have an extra one, if you want it. I pay a co-pay for mine.

Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Thank you for the offer. For now I'm fine, gonna talk to my Dr. But thank you
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Gdog wrote:Thank you for the offer. For now I'm fine, gonna talk to my Dr. But thank you
No problem

Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

You said that last Saturday...
:)
K
"Let's go diving!"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Scubak wrote:
You said that last Saturday...
:)
K
That was the Saturday before.. :rawlings:
slonda828
Just Settling In

Post by slonda828 »

We had a great time at Harper's.

We ended up doing a historical briefing of the site, and introducing the new folks to how we do rock bottom gas planning and single arm hand signals. We made two dives of about 35 feet each, and stayed down 45 minutes to an hour ar a shot. We even freed some guy's crab trap for him. Nothing earth shattering on the bottle front, but we did find about 15 old bottles and mason jars.

I'm pretty sure I only moderately offended everyone. :pirate:

Special thanks to those of you who make the trek from Seattle area to join us. We are very happy you came!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
-JYC