Split fins vs Traditional fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.

Do you prefer split fins or traditional fins?

Split
43%
Traditional
54%
Other?
3%

Total votes: 35

spatman
I've Got Gills

Split fins vs Traditional fins

Post by spatman »

i'm getting close to buying my own pair and i was just wondering who likes what fin type and why...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I was amazed at how much better my Turtles work than the splits I was diving with. I'm never going back. And if you dive doubles, it's interesting to note that NOAA has recently banned splits - at least for diving doubles...maybe for everything, I can't remember, but I'm sure about the doubles. To be fair, lots of very good divers use splits and love them, but for me, I'll never use 'em again.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nailer99 wrote: And if you dive doubles, it's interesting to note that NOAA has recently banned splits...
why would they ban them? not enough power to push extra weight?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I have some scubapro Razor's and some Jets. The Razor's are gathering dust. Learning how to frog kick with jets made all the difference in my fin preference.....
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Nailer99 wrote: And if you dive doubles, it's interesting to note that NOAA has recently banned splits...
why would they ban them? not enough power to push extra weight?
That was my understanding- I think it might have had some connection with the two Coast Guard divers who died last year, too, but I could be wrong about that.

From my own experience, my Apollo pro plus fins were fine in a single tank configuration, but performance seemed to drop a lot when I switched to doubles. I just figured that was normal, but when I switched over to my Turtles, I was amazed at how much faster and more powerfull my kicks seemed.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I run XL Turtles with my drysuit and XL Jets in the tropics. Mrs. Sounder Runs (the same pair) XL Jets with her drysuit and Med Jets in the tropics.

I, too, think NOAA may have made that rule after the CG incident. It was in the incident report that they were using the wrong fins for this kind of diving (referring to the heavy and bulky gear of cold water diving) and saying they should have used a blade fin.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Nailer99 wrote:That was my understanding- I think it might have had some connection with the two Coast Guard divers who died last year
"You're coming into the water with those things?! *points at split fins* You're going to get us all killed!!!!" :smt064

(I love my Apollo XTs)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Calvin wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:That was my understanding- I think it might have had some connection with the two Coast Guard divers who died last year
"You're coming into the water with those things?! *points at split fins* You're going to get us all killed!!!!" :smt064

(I love my Apollo XTs)

Like I said, some good divers use them all the time. So does Calvin. :la:

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

I love my Scubapro Twin Jets. Effortless thrust, less silt stirring, less effort, more speed.

For those hardcore techies that carry huge loads, I can see a traditional paddle fin providing more thrust than a split fin; but for the rest of us, split is the way to go. =D>
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I have a couple pairs of jet fins
one pair of Rockets and a pair of Nimrods
just ordered a pair of Scubapro off Ebay for my new dry suit
I usaly take a large but need XL to fit my boot

I tryed a split a long time ago and did not care for them I thought the fin felt soft and lacked any power

but I have a couple buddies that sware by them
then againe how smart can they be they hang out with me right ? :smt064 :smt064

Wife thinks I have too many fins we should talk Spatman

if I have a sise that would fit ya we could work some thing out
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

sparky wrote:

Wife thinks I have too many fins we should talk Spatman

I think fins are like tanks. They breed in the garage when you are not looking. I think I have 5 pairs of fins, (I got rid of two pairs this winter) and now 9 tanks. I just picked up a cute 1961 pair of US Divers double 50's with backpack and manifold. Like new and too cute to turn down for 3/4 of a SU.

I use both. Heavy loads I use my old Jets, everyday diving I love my Scuba Pro Twins.
Charles
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Calvin wrote:(I love my Apollo XTs)
quite an endorsement, and a great review! thanks for that, calvin.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Seth T. wrote:I love my Scubapro Twin Jets. Effortless thrust, less silt stirring, less effort, more speed.
seth, do you find that they lack any maneuverability compared to paddle fins?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sparky wrote:Wife thinks I have too many fins we should talk Spatman

thanks, sparky! when i get my boots, i'll be in touch!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

At least for me, there was no question that split fins were easier on my legs. They are what I started out in, because Bud told me I wouldn't get leg cramps if I used them. And I didn't, but it turns out I don't get them in paddle fins, either . . .

When I took Fundies, and tried to learn to frog kick and back kick, it was really obvious that it's very difficult to do those kicks in soft fins. I bought Jets, and the first time I used them, I thought somebody had strapped concrete blocks to my feet. But I could IMMEDIATELY do the required kicks, so I never went back, because not silting out dive sites was very important to me (still is!) Now I use my L Jets for singles and doubles, cold water and warm.

A nice side effect is that they're far cheaper than split fins, too!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I have used blade fins and for frog kicking, they are better. However, it takes work for me to use them. However, if I was penatrating a wreck, I would use a blade fin. Comfort is my main concern when I dive, so for most dives, I am sticking to my split fins.

I used Apollo splits for a while but they are just too soft. I could kick well but just found they stirred up the bottom too much. I can actually bend the fin in half.

I have a pair of Tusa Xpert Zooms and they are fine but a bit stiff.

I now have the Atomic Split fin. They are longer, so they give me more power, much stiffer than the Apollo fin yet much more comfortable than the Tusa fin. One of the best features? They FLOAT! I now have springs on them and I love my fins.

I have used the Scuba Pro Twin Jet and it is okay too, but a bit heavy.

Mares has a new split fin out called the Raptor. It looks almost like the Tusa fin. Cheaper than most ($129 MSRP) but the sales rep kept comparing it to the Atomic fin. I think I will stick with my Atomics.

You can always just be like Dennis and take a pair of blade fins and make your own split fin. He told me they worked great for him.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

HERE'S A LINK to a document from NOAA explaining their decision to limit the use of split fins. Basically, they decided that splits weren't meant for "heavy diving", but were OK for lighter diving and snorkelling.

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

spatman wrote:
Seth T. wrote:I love my Scubapro Twin Jets. Effortless thrust, less silt stirring, less effort, more speed.
seth, do you find that they lack any maneuverability compared to paddle fins?
Not at all. I have found no lack of anything with these fins. I can even frog kick with the best of them. They are awesome for wreck diving as they don't stir up nearly as much silt as paddle fins.
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Comfort is my main concern when I dive, so for most dives, I am sticking to my split fins.
so the comfort of split fins being that they are lighter and require less effort?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Seth T. wrote:They are awesome for wreck diving as they don't stir up nearly as much silt as paddle fins.
Can you explain your reasoning behind this? I'm assuming this is in reference to flutter kicking? I can absolutely guarantee that paddle fins and frog kicking will stir up less silt than splits. But, one shouldn't really be flutter kicking in a wreck anyways.

Just curious on your reasoning here, I think it runs counter to conventional wisdom on the subject.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

dsteding wrote:
Seth T. wrote:They are awesome for wreck diving as they don't stir up nearly as much silt as paddle fins.
Can you explain your reasoning behind this? I'm assuming this is in reference to flutter kicking? I can absolutely guarantee that paddle fins and frog kicking will stir up less silt than splits. But, one shouldn't really be flutter kicking in a wreck anyways.

Just curious on your reasoning here, I think it runs counter to conventional wisdom on the subject.
You beat me to it - I'm also curious what your reasoning is. In my experience, a blade fin frog kick causes far less (or none if you do it correctly) silting than a split fin. Additionally, while you can frog kick in splits, the effort-to-thrust ratio is much less efficient.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

dsteding wrote:

Correct, flutter kicking in a wreck is a no-no. In my experience with wreck diving (or even diving near the floor), my buddies that use paddle fins stir up far more silt than I do with my spit fins, even while frogging. Of course, one could argue that everyone is different and skill varies considerably. Given the same diver using either fins alternatively, I suppose that a paddle fin would theoritically stirr up less crap during frogging due to the single flat blade, as opposed to two separate blades. Further, due to the single blade, a paddle fin would give more thrust while frogging, however I've found that split fins are much more flexible and thus easier to kick leading to less fatigue.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :bootyshake:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Seth T wrote:
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :bootyshake:
Okay.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Seth T. wrote: Correct, flutter kicking in a wreck is a no-no. In my experience with wreck diving (or even diving near the floor), my buddies that use paddle fins stir up far more silt than I do with my spit fins, even while frogging.
One last question:

What agency taught you and your buddies to wreck dive using splits? Seems like wreck penetration with splits is also a bit outside accepted norms.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

As far as I know, none of the major dive training organizations mandate a type of fin for wreck or tech diving- PADI, TDI, NAUI, etc.