Cockerell Dorids at different F Stops

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Cockerell Dorids at different F Stops

Post by KeithBoll »

Went to Point Hudson (in Port Townsend) this weekend.
Viz was still a bit murky - about 15 feet (20 at best). However - no problem looking for and shooting the small stuff.
Saw several small grunt sculpins. Kelp is already starting to grow. And more nudies are out and about.
Also - there is now an Octo living in a den underneath the barge on the deep side. Pretty easy to spot him (and his tentacles).

The biggest star of these two dives were the Cockerell's Dorids! I found four of them - all on large rocks at about 45 feet deep.
I am still working on getting used to (and learning) how to shoot with my new camera (Canon EOS R5 replaced my Canon 7D).
The f stops "look and feel" different on the R5. Below are three different CDs at different f stops. (I also tried some at F10/11 for a more bokeh affect - but they did not turn out very well.) Let me know if anyone has a favorite of the three pictures - always interested in how others see or prefer something.

Thanks,
Keith
Attachments
F Stop 29
F Stop 29
F Stop 25
F Stop 25
F Stop 13
F Stop 13
60south
Pelagic

Re: Cockerell Dorids at different F Stops

Post by 60south »

The second one. But I think the composition is the main reason I like it best.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

There all great ... I see no issues, if I want Boca with my Sony A6300 then I have to shoot F3 with my macro lens that's 3.5 30mm ... Mirror less...
So in the wise words of the underwater camera gods practice ... Practice ... Every camera is different .. I'm still learning how to use my camera and it's been like 6 years.. Ha Ha Ha
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

It would have been cool to take the same shot with different Fstops. The second has the best composition in my opinion too.